Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Fiona Call

Standing up on pedals whilst cycling - is this possible?

Right, carrying ont alking to myself ;)

Ok, tried out the cranks at 6/1 this morning an failed straight away I just didn't have the strength in my "good" leg to get that side of the crank over the 12 position, someone with full strength in the good leg and using clipons or spd's would probably be ok.

Th Ergon grips where very nice and superbly comfy, will take a while of tweaking the position but you get a much firmer grip and you feel in control of the bike more, hard to explain but for the small cost I would really recomend them.

Got a call from the very nice man at highpoint to say my pivot crank was ready to ship so should have that weds, hopefully that should ease up or completly stop the pressure on the back of the knee and make everything generally more comfortable.

Just been doing some investigation and found this http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/rotors3.htm now these arn't cheap but they are exactly whats needed and takes my idea of the advanced crank to the next stage of a veriable crank as you pedal...all excited now :)

Hard to explain but take a look and you'l see, going to give them a ring soon.

Rikk,

Thanks a million for all your tips. It's a shame that moving the crank forward slightly didn't work. I luckily don't have any problem with my grip or with the leg digging in at the back of my knee so think that I might be OK without the other gadgets.

My main problem at the moment is that I think I have done something to my knee - I went to physio on Thursday and ran for my longest time yet. When I finished my knee felt a bit funny but I didn't really think anything of it. To make a long story short it hasn't really got any better and does not ease up while cycling. I really really don't want it to stop me from doing the Coast to Coast and so I think I am just going to give myself a cycling break until Friday when we are due to set out and hope that it repairs itself in the meantime.

Fingers crossed!

Fiona

Fingers crossed, toes crossed, eyes crossed.....good luck Fiona!

Come back with lots and lots of piccies for us.

:) :)

Would be worth fitting in a visit to a sports physio before going just to see whats up and to see if strapping/binding or supports would help, doing that sort of distance on an injury is to be frank pretty silly, Least get that knee checked out.

If something hurts it's your body telling you there's somethign wrong...ignore it at you peril

And it's a pleasure, nice to be able to share all the stuff I'm finding :)

Guest bearlover

The more you have a limb the easer it is.. For exapmle if you only have a foot amputated it may be easer than if tou have a below the knee or 6" stump left as I do..And it may be even harder for a AK.. ;)

Rikk,

Yes I know it is taking a bit of a risk. I did however speak to my physio yesterday (the one I do the running with) and she thinks I should be fine as long as I put ice on it at the end of every day.

So I suppose it really is just a case of crossing everything!

Bear,

I think you are right about the fact that it is probably easier to stand up if you have a longer stump. Mine is very short and when I was doing it it just felt like I needed that little bit more leverage to be able to do it properly. I think having a slightly longer stump would give me that.

Fiona