Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JudyH

drip dry?

This may seem like a strange question but do you dry your stump off after showering and put your leg on immediately or do you let it air dry for a while?

JudyH

I always let it air dry for a short time as I find if I put my iceros on if the skin is damp it pulls something awful.

I use a gel sleeve to get me to the shower and back..nice and comfy :)

I dry my stump first them put on a clean sock right after. I have a walk in shower and I really don't like hopping around of sitting on the bath chair and dry off. so I put the leg on right away.

I always let it air dry for a short time as I find if I put my iceros on if the skin is damp it pulls something awful.

I use a gel sleeve to get me to the shower and back..nice and comfy :)

Please explain iceros and gel sleeve.

Thanks

JudyH

yes

:lol:

Always dry straight away and back into the leg

Keeping your stump dry is important. Fungi grow in dark, warm, and moist areas. Keeping your stump dry will help prevent fungal infections. I even use anti-fungal powder.

Judy, the iceross is a type of liner, so it's worn directly on the stump and inside the socket... and I'm assuming the "gel sleeve" reference was to a type of suspension sleeve, which holds the leg on by being pulled up over the OUTSIDE of the socket and the thigh, thus sparing the moist stump from being encased in the liner. (Confirmation of these assumptions would be a good thing!)

I try to time my showers so that I can sit in the bathroom for a few minutes afterward. I dry my stump with a towel, do any other care that might be necessary, and then let it air-dry the rest of the way. Then I put the liner and leg on, and off I go!

This is something that I've never thought about.

I do both.....depends on how late I am :P

I dry my leg with a towel, crutch to bed, put liner and leg on, then dress and go.

Yep I'm the same as Neal-though mind you it does take a while after having a hot shower before I can fit into the socket 100%

Mel.

Judy, the iceross is a type of liner, so it's worn directly on the stump and inside the socket... and I'm assuming the "gel sleeve" reference was to a type of suspension sleeve, which holds the leg on by being pulled up over the OUTSIDE of the socket and the thigh, thus sparing the moist stump from being encased in the liner. (Confirmation of these assumptions would be a good thing!)

I try to time my showers so that I can sit in the bathroom for a few minutes afterward. I dry my stump with a towel, do any other care that might be necessary, and then let it air-dry the rest of the way. Then I put the liner and leg on, and off I go!

Hmm how to discribe my comfy sock :)

It's like the iceross but made out of a gel rather than silicon, it's also about 5-6mm thick so is mega comfy but you loose loads of control over the limb.

I use it for giving my stump a rest after a hard day and also if you need a wee in the middle of night I can just pop it on rather than messing around with the iceross and socks.

I went to see the proth today and showed her my gel sleeve, she had no idea about it as I've had it for ages.

Hmm how to discribe my comfy sock :)

It's like the iceross but made out of a gel rather than silicon, it's also about 5-6mm thick so is mega comfy but you loose loads of control over the limb.

I use it for giving my stump a rest after a hard day and also if you need a wee in the middle of night I can just pop it on rather than messing around with the iceross and socks.

I went to see the proth today and showed her my gel sleeve, she had no idea about it as I've had it for ages.

That sounds like a great idea for at night. who makes it and where do I get one?

JudyH

To be honest I have no idea as it was just handed over with the first iceross socket I had, but it does seem very simular to this http://www.ossur.com/template110.asp?pageid=98 but the one I have is a bit thicker.

Hi Judy,

If I am going to be getting dressed after the shower and going, I try to give it a few minutes after drying off gently, before I put my liner back on. If it's of an evening and I won't be doing anything else in the house that I will be wearing my leg for, I just dry it and maybe put a shrink sock on. After a day on the farm, I usually ready to doff the leg for the evening. Somedays, it really takes a beating. As a diabetic, it's important to give the skin time to recover. It really helps to prevent skin issues.. which, being inclosed in the liner all day can happen really easily.

You wear the pin system too don't you?

Tammie

I never have time for it to air dry, I dry it with a towel (gently and carefully because it is very sensitive in parts) and then put my leg straight on.

Sue

After I get home from work, then do a few things around the house, I am ready to get my legs off and take a shower (7 - 8 PM). While showering, I wash my liners first, and then myself.

Let the liners air dry until morning.

After the shower & towel dried, I will run around the house in my wheel chair until bedtime (10 - 11 PM), and let my stumps air out and relax.

In the mornings, I will get up (5:30 AM), wheel in to the bathroom, take a shower , towel dry my legs, don the now dry liners, legs, get dressed and off to work.

So to answer your question;

"do I dry my stump off after showering and put my leg on immediately"

Yes!

I use the "Ossur" Iceross Transfemoral Seal-In liners.

Now that I'm allowed to get my stump wet, my surgeon told me a neat trick to dry the wound (which is still scabbed) which is better than using a towel and involves no rubbing:

...use a hair-dryer on its lowest setting.

It's extremely effective at drying my stump thoroughly, and may be useful if you want your skin to be completely dry before donning a liner.

This is a trick I'll definitely try when I get liners, as I've wondered about the dryness and skin-health issue too.

May be useful..???

Best wishes

Roz. :)

Now that I'm allowed to get my stump wet, my surgeon told me a neat trick to dry the wound (which is still scabbed) which is better than using a towel and involves no rubbing:

...use a hair-dryer on its lowest setting.

It's extremely effective at drying my stump thoroughly, and may be useful if you want your skin to be completely dry before donning a liner.

This is a trick I'll definitely try when I get liners, as I've wondered about the dryness and skin-health issue too.

May be useful..???

Best wishes

Roz. :)

This is somehting I have done in the past with a heavily blistered area that I did not want anything to touch and it definitely works very effectively but takes a little time.

Sue

I use a total contact suction socket and have to be very dry before the pull sock will slide off my stump. I shower in the morning then drink coffee for a half hour or so. If I'm in a hurry I do the blow dryer thing. In high school after a shower I could'nt do all that and it was painfull to wear the leg the rest of the day.