Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Freddy

Does Anyone Remember Terry Fox?

Do you remember the story of Terry Fox? He was fighting cancer and decided to run across Canada with his AK prothesis. He lost his couragous struggle with cancer one year later in 1981. I wonder if he may have survived today with medical advances and how he would have done running across a continent today with improvements in prosthetics? He died two years after I lost my leg. He was an inspiration to me and many others in his Marathon of Hope!

post-1759-1155510609_thumb.jpg

I do remember him, Freddy... I had no "personal connection" to get me caught up in his run, but "caught UP' I was. I'd had friends with various disabilities throughout my life, and many of them lived a pretty darn close to fully inclusive lifestyle... but Terry Fox's run was the first time I really became fully engrossed in following an amputee in particular, taking on such a mind-boggling challenge.

I imagine such a strong and fine example of what an amp can accomplish would have made a big impact on a new amp at the time! And yes, with all the progress in both cancer treatment and the prosthetics industry, it DOES make you wonder what he, and others, could have done had today's treatments and gear been available.

Hi

I remember Terry I think they made a film about him.

A life story I think we watched it on Hallmark Great guy.

Pat.

Sorry I meant Freddy I was also thinking of a dear friend of our's called Terry.

Pat

Sorry again. Cherylm I knew I had got it right first time you confused me. He He.

Pat.

I haven't heard of him before. But...WOW

I watched Terry everyday, obviously it was closer to me because I live in Canada.

I admired him so very much and one thing that, to this day, hurts. Terry died on my birthday and that hurt deep.

I will never ever forget Terry, I saw him run, I saw him in Toronto when he talked downtown. I knew the pain he must of gone thru. He done a lot for my confidence, self esteem etc., I could really go on and on because I talked to him twice. What a wonderful young man.

God Bless Terry, You will always be in my heart and prayers.

Sincerely,

Lynne

I watched his run on the news each day. When they made a movie about him I made sure to watch it. Terry was pure courage!

Guest bearlover

:D I do remeber some what of hearing about him...He was just doing what we all do..try all we can and NEVER give up..The word CAN"T is not in the dictonary!! :)

Yes I remember him too, think I watched a film or a documentary prog. about him.

I survived the same cancer Terry Fox had and since then have been a Terry's team mate. I've attended runs did public speaking for the foundation and I hope have done my part for Terry and the many affected by Cancer. Terry has always been an inspiration and I know it's partly due to him that I'm still around.

Unfortunatly I won't be representing Terry at the run in my community this year because I'm at a War Amps CHAMP seminar but I hope to talk with local highschools and try to encourage students to support Terry's cause.

I'm very honoured to be living close to mile one.