Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
carpet lady

Open road here I come

Hi every one

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy. I just had to let you all know why.

I did it. Finally after six years I got on the back of my hubbies motor bike again.

I was so scared, and have kept putting it off, you know bad weather, leg dont fit properly. But today trussed up as michelin man and almost unable to waddle let alone walk(you should have seen what he made me wear, I was so uncool) I climbed aboard and we went for my ride.

I clung on for dear life till we hit the first corner. Then it was like I had never been off it and now I wanna get my own one back on the road. Dunno if I am brave enough for that but I have jumped through hoops and survived.

Sorry for ranting but I cant put into words how happy i am that I DID IT.

Rachel

Oh, that's wonderful, Rachel! :D

It's great when you achieve something like that, isn't it?

Lizzie :)

PS What did he make you wear? :rolleyes:

That's fantastic Rachel :D

There's nothing like the feeling of riding a motorcycle, is there? I'll bet it's even sweeter getting back on after a traumatic experience like ours. I hope to do that too, some day.

Guest bearlover

:) :P ;) :o WOW! YOU GO GIRL! WE AMPUTEES CAN DO A LOT MORE THAN PEOPLE KNOW!!! HAPPY FOR YOU! ;)

Rachel, you sound thrilled, and so I'm thrilled for you... it's GREAT when you reclaim another piece of your life!

However, Lizzie's right:

You simply CAN'T throw out a line like "you should have seen what he made me wear, I was so uncool," and then not TELL us about it! C'mon... 'fess up -- how bad WAS it?

Congratulations on your ride!

Rachel, that's far out!! :D :D

No, wait... :rolleyes:

That's far out AND groovy!! :D :lol:

Oh, yeah, what did he make you wear? :ph34r:

Come on... I have no problem making up my own answer. :lol: :lol: ;)

That's great news, Rachel. But we still need to know what you were wearing.....

Guest bearlover

Rachel, What system do you have?? What type of leg are you wearing? I have the lock in pin system. I tried a few others like seal in liner :rolleyes: and suspension sleeve :ph34r: But like the pin system a lot better How about you?

Bear, I have a pin system now but because of the residual damage I also have the leg suspended from the knee!!!!!!!!!!! At Christmas when I got the leg it was like a new lease of life i could walk any where and do almost anything. However since February it has become obvious that I have a problem with my stump and now can only do a quarter of what I did then.

Explanation over I hope you can imagine that the prosthetic leg when bent (as in sitting down) has a gap big enough for a small handbag or a packet of fags!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I cannot possibly tell you what I wore! I am still to embarassed! Suffice to say I would have made a good goal keeper in a ice hockey game, even down to shin pads!!!!!!!!!!!! :( I am going out again on Wednesday we are off to Bicester to a rally maybe I will take a picture and post it.

Rachel

Hi every one

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy. I just had to let you all know why.

I did it. Finally after six years I got on the back of my hubbies motor bike again.

I was so scared, and have kept putting it off, you know bad weather, leg dont fit properly. But today trussed up as michelin man and almost unable to waddle let alone walk(you should have seen what he made me wear, I was so uncool) I climbed aboard and we went for my ride.

I clung on for dear life till we hit the first corner. Then it was like I had never been off it and now I wanna get my own one back on the road. Dunno if I am brave enough for that but I have jumped through hoops and survived.

Sorry for ranting but I cant put into words how happy i am that I DID IT.

Rachel

Rachel,

That is so fantastic. I am so happy for you. Great job.

JudyH

ooooooooooooooooo......motorcycle ( drool )

What type of bike is it, if you don't mind me asking?

Chris

He has a big yellow bike!! Thats all that counts to us women isnt it. Only joking it is a BMW 1200 Venture. He used to have a beautiful blue Daytona before.

He chose it cos of the seating positionwith a view to me getting on it. I was not sure if I would be brave enough but now I have done it I soooooooooo want to go again.

Have you not got on a bike again since your accident.

Rachel

Have you not got on a bike again since your accident?

No! :(

Once I am done with revision surgery I plan on getting one. I tried getting on my friends CBR1000rr but the knee angle is too severe for my prosthetic :rolleyes: . I think I am done with sports bikes and going more in the direction of custom choppers.

This is right up my alley...

http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/bikes/reaper.htm

It's good that you've gotten on and now that you've gotten the bug again you can ride alongside on your own bike....

I'm happy for you..

Chris

Dont dont do it!!!!!!! Seriously we did try a harley. Well I climbed on one not rode it. Although the leg part was good the arm reach would have been quite tiring I think after a while.

My hubby has taken my bike out regularly and it is now on long term loan to my mate. I think it will still be a while before I am happy to actually be the driver tho.

I am sure you will be fine once you are over your surgery. I shall look forward to hearing which one you get eventually.

Rachel

Chris

Dont dont do it!!!!!!! Seriously we did try a harley. Well I climbed on one not rode it. Although the leg part was good the arm reach would have been quite tiring I think after a while.

Rachel

Well the thing is....

...when I was riding I had a friend who had a BigDog Pitbull. He let me ride it once. I've included a link to a picture below. I thought it wasn't too bad. I am a tall guy ( 6'4", 6'5" with any kind of riding boot ) and reach has never been an issue although riding position has.

http://www.deepsouthcycles.com/Inventory%20Bulldog.htm

I don't have any pictures of my old bike but this is exactly the same bike....colour and everything!

http://www.sfondideldesktop.com/Images-Bik.../Zx12r-0009.jpg

I know I'll never ride a bike like that anytime soon because the insurance in the U.K. is way too high. I had my Hulk ( my nickname for my bike :D ) in Chicago and my insurance then was $72 a month which is very cheap for the kind of bike it was!!

I feel sad now... :( but one day I'll feel the freedom of riding again!

Next time you go for a ride make sure you shout a yaaaaaaaaaahooooooo in my name! :D

Chris

Dont give up yet. My sister has just returned from picking up her new bike!!!!!!!!!!! She bought a huge off road thing from a guy in Glasgow (she lives in Charlton). I dunno what it is but I know its a bmw!

She bought it off a guy who was an amputee who said he had reached the point that it was too tame for him. He wanted a more rugged machine for competition off roading. He was 7/8 years post amp.

Sometimes it takes a while but we can get there in the end eh.

Have you had your revision surgery yet and if so how long before you feel you would be up to it. I was crap at this but the guy my sister met said he set goals. I was just wondering about the new year ride my sister goes on each year!!!!!! Its in your neck of the woods.

Rachel

Carpetlady,

I haven't giving up. Just thinking about comfort while riding and most new sportsbikes cater to people 5'10 and under. That was the very reason why I bought my Kawasaki. It was a larger bike and in essence wasn't a true sports bike but more of a sports tourer with it having larger dimensions an' all.

Like I said earlier, once I have my revision surgery ( within a few months ) I will then try and swing my leg over another Kawasaki and see how it feels.

Bearlover,

Thanks for the encouragement. It basically will be a story of geometry. If I fit then I'm back on a Kawi.....if I don't fit then chopper-city here I come. Bottom line is I will get back on a bike!

:)

Chris

I never meant to imply that you had given up. Must have been a blonde moment! :ph34r: I meant keep your chin up your time will come.

Sorry

Chris

I never meant to imply that you had given up. Must have been a blonde moment! :wub: I meant keep your chin up your time will come.

Sorry

No problem Rachel,

It wasn' taken that way. Plus I have a pretty thick skin so no worries about offending me ok?

Group Hug!