Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Is the uk car mobility scheme worthwhile?

Generally for more expensive vehicles no, Because of the high advanced payments. If you qualify for a VAT exemption on buying a new (or dealer secondhand) car because of adaptations & using a wheelchair its far more economic to buy a new one even on a loan than on motorbility. At least in my experience.

Agree 100%

Im a rbk and pick up my new car in a couple of months. I havnt drove for ages and cant wait !!

Im getting a c max , its an automatic with hand controls. Going to take a bit of getting used to using the hand controls, but should be fine.

I find the mobility scheme great as it gives me my independence.

Im a rbk and pick up my new car in a couple of months. I havnt drove for ages and cant wait !!

Im getting a c max , its an automatic with hand controls. Going to take a bit of getting used to using the hand controls, but should be fine.

None of my business, but why do you need hand controls as a BK?

Hiya, my left foot is weak and would cause problems with breaking etc. So hand controls is the best option for me.

Hiya, my left foot is weak and would cause problems with breaking etc. So hand controls is the best option for me.

I get it now.... as has been said elsewhere (can't remember where now) it pays to have as little done to the car as possible to make changing cars easier later on.....

Enjoy the new car...

hi, as others have said, Motorbility is an expensive scheme, but great if you cant afford to buy new or secondhand. If you qualify for no VAT payment on your vehicle and can get a good deal this will be far more economical than Motorbility.

I'm rather interested in what or how people are doing things to get DLA or mobility being a BK. I'm a rbk with my left leg having really bad arthritis and 40% muscle loss. I've been refused twice for DLA and now have been refused a blue parking badge as I'm to mobile.

Am I missing some trick here or are there such massive differences in the way this is done around the country?

I'm rather interested in what or how people are doing things to get DLA or mobility being a BK. I'm a rbk with my left leg having really bad arthritis and 40% muscle loss. I've been refused twice for DLA and now have been refused a blue parking badge as I'm to mobile.

Am I missing some trick here or are there such massive differences in the way this is done around the country?

I don't even nearly qualify for DLA, as far as I know, it's the same throughout the country. I believe there are plenty of people who bend the truth to recieve it. I've heard people say they answer the forms as if they haven't got their artificial leg on. This clearly contradicts what you should do, which is to answer as if you are wearing whatever aid you would normally wear.

As for Blue Badges, they do vary to some degree throughout the sountry, though the criteria don't, the interpretation does. This is being looked into as we speak to standardise, because too many people have the badge. If you put your case they can reconsider, it's worth appealing.

Hmmm, my area doesn't have anyway to appeal they say no and that's it tough.

The one thing I did notice to late is when it mentions distance walked, it's distance you can walk without being in sever discomfort which for me is zero, as with chronic arthritis and a very boney stump it always hurts.

So next time I'll actually read it properly and fill it in accordingly. May get another this week and re-apply.

It does annoy the hell out of me that i got refused but 80% of people I see with them get around much better than I do.

Hmmm, my area doesn't have anyway to appeal they say no and that's it tough.

The one thing I did notice to late is when it mentions distance walked, it's distance you can walk without being in sever discomfort which for me is zero, as with chronic arthritis and a very boney stump it always hurts.

So next time I'll actually read it properly and fill it in accordingly. May get another this week and re-apply.

It does annoy the hell out of me that i got refused but 80% of people I see with them get around much better than I do.

There may be no formal way of appealing, but find out who is responsible and ask for an interview, I did that a few years ago and it worked....

As far as I understand, if you are a bilateral amputee, you are automatically entitled to the Mobility component of DLA, otherwise I understand it goes on how your disability affects you personally in terms of walking, so don't be put off applying.

Social Security found that most people didn't fill out the form truthfully:

People are often reluctant to admit the extent of their disability, even to

themselves - and it is natural that people are much more keen to talk about

what they can do, rather than what they cannot. Some people, often

because of their disability, may be unaware of its true level. This means

that disability may be represented as less than might be expected.

Social Security found that most people didn't fill out the form truthfully:

People are often reluctant to admit the extent of their disability, even to

themselves - and it is natural that people are much more keen to talk about

what they can do, rather than what they cannot. Some people, often

because of their disability, may be unaware of its true level. This means

that disability may be represented as less than might be expected.

Well if anyone has ever filled in one of the SS forms, it really takes some doing.

For one thing, as amputees it is hard for us to 'tick the boxes' as people with other disabilities are able to, for most of us when we are wearing limbs we do not always feel like we have a disability, however, when you are not wearing limbs its whole different scenario (as I am currently finding out). The other thing is, as always most of us are trying to make the best of things and do what we can so it seems a bit alien to then have to say to someone what you can't do.

for most of us when we are wearing limbs we do not always feel like we have a disability

This is the whole point, the forms are very clear and specific, they are to be filled in taking account of the aids you normally wear.... therefore, if you don't feel like you have a disability, that is how you will be regarded... I guess on the rare occasions you can't wear your leg, it's tough!

I have been on the mobility scheme for 15 years now and i think that it is definately worth it

as where else can you get a new car ,pay no tax,insurance,service costs,for only your benefit of £40 per week .now that they have changed the rules to allow 60000 miles over the 3 years ,there should be no excess milage charge and now from this year all adaptions,(i use a push /pull brake accelerator hand controll) are going to be free as well.

You may have to bend the rules sometime but i think you have to apply for DLA and bluebadge considering the days that you cannot get your leg on and the wheelchair is the only option for getting about.

therefore fill in the form as if you are in a wheelchair.

and if you have to get assessed by a doctor do this in a wheelchair as well.

then you have it when you need it.

which may be more than you think

I use my bluebadge to park but avoid wheelchair places unless i have to use it.

Rikk stated:-

Am I missing some trick here or are there such massive differences in the way this is done around the country

Hi Rikk.,

Just my thoughts on the subject:-

As an AK I couldn’t believe it when I got turned down for mobility but as they put it. In a nut shell if you can walk 100 meters you don’t get it.

And as I have no real problems with walking they are right.

But some time in the future I will reapply and this time I won’t be so truthful when I fill out the questionnaire.

However I have read some of your excellent post on cycling and perhaps when you were filling in the questionnaire some of your enthusiasm for your hobby is carried over into the answers. And as stated already on here if you are one of these people who tend to think of all the positives rather than the negatives it is bound to be carried over into your answers.

So my advice is become one of those miserable old gits who does nothing but moan to get into the right mindset then fill in the questionnaires. :biggrin::biggrin:

Blue badge when mine didn’t turn up I simply went down to the office with a photo and my £2.00 and wouldn’t get out till they gave me one, (they even made me a cup of tea whilst I waited) I think that they were too embarrassed to say NO,

The same thing happened when it expired I simply rung them up and pointed out the leg hadn’t grown back and if they wanted proof I would pop down and show them and once again I got my blue badge. I expect I will be doing this for years to come. (Maybe I will get biscuits with my tea next time).

Now on a serious note this mobility payment doe’s p**s me off at times especially when people I know get it & I know there is bugger all wrong with them, one of them is………… (Wait for it)…………. in one of the walking groups I’m in.

Right……….. End of rant

Mick

I chose not to have the motability scheme.

I get DLA, get the new car modified before delivery, good tax break, more control, more choice.

blue badge REALY ANNOYS. see so many able bodied abusing aunty mabels badge. You should get one.

I was wholly imobile for months bu didnt get incapacity, sid I should caim frm my company. (ignoring fact that I am the company) didnt have the energy to contest at the time.