Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sue1

Hello everybody

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a while but unfortunately have been unable to register as it wouldn't let me. However, thanks to JohnnyV it has now been sorted out and I can finally post - thanks Johnny.

I am a LBK, I have a congenital derformity and after a couple of surgeries as a young child I finally underwent an elective foot and ankle amputation at the age of 12 (they decided when I was 10 that this was really the only option but insisted that I had to make the decision hence the couple of years delay). I am very lucky with my prosthesis and with my limb fitting centre (Luton and Dunstable in the UK), in fact my only complaint about them would be that due to staff cutbacks it now takes much longer to get an non urgent appointment - not the fault of the staff who are excellent. I do still get some problems as a result of the deformities in the remainder of my leg but it is just a case of working around them.

A couple of years ago I had health problems unrelated to my leg but as a result of not being able to do much my mobility seriously decreased and I found that I could no longer walk anything but the shortest distances without a stick and for anything longer I needed a wheelchair. Almost a year ago having recovered from my other problems I decided to do something about it (and did) and as a result I am now much fitter and capable than before (almost back to being as good as I was when I left school).

Well that's my introduction, I have enjoyed reading all your posts over the last weeks and now look forward to being able to join in.

Hi Sue and welcome.

I'm a RBK after an accident almost 3 years ago.

This is a great forum, with lots of help, advice, info and laughs too!

Sue, Cardiff, UK

Guest bearlover

Hello Sue, and welcome to the fourm. It is a fun crazy down to earth place! Iam a lbk for 3 years now. Due to a major bone imfection from many surgries since infancy..Again welcome! ;)

Hello Sue, welcome to the forum.

I'm Ally from South Africa. RAK due to auto accident in 1995. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

:)

G'day Sue I'm also here as a result of congenital stuff. Had my amp done when I was 5.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat

I am very lucky with my prosthesis and with my limb fitting centre (Luton and Dunstable in the UK), in fact my only complaint about them would be that due to staff cutbacks it now takes much longer to get an non urgent appointment - not the fault of the staff who are excellent.

Hi Sue1,

That used to be my old stomping ground ( excuse the pun ). I won't mention his name but my prosthetist was the most experienced there and was a nice guy. I can relate to the long waits for appoinments. I remember the nurse there was extremely nice and very compassionate. The leg I received there wasn't very good but I didn't have much time with them before moving to London.

Anyway...welcome to the forum! As you've probably already noticed, the folks here can be very helpful.

;)

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum. I'm rbk for almost 3 yrs. This is a great place to visit and I'm glad you found us.

Hi Sue, and welcome!

I've been posting here for 9 months, but am still a newbie - I had my amp just 4 weeks ago!

Best wishes

Roz. :)

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a while but unfortunately have been unable to register as it wouldn't let me. However, thanks to JohnnyV it has now been sorted out and I can finally post - thanks Johnny.

I am a LBK, I have a congenital derformity and after a couple of surgeries as a young child I finally underwent an elective foot and ankle amputation at the age of 12 (they decided when I was 10 that this was really the only option but insisted that I had to make the decision hence the couple of years delay). I am very lucky with my prosthesis and with my limb fitting centre (Luton and Dunstable in the UK), in fact my only complaint about them would be that due to staff cutbacks it now takes much longer to get an non urgent appointment - not the fault of the staff who are excellent. I do still get some problems as a result of the deformities in the remainder of my leg but it is just a case of working around them.

A couple of years ago I had health problems unrelated to my leg but as a result of not being able to do much my mobility seriously decreased and I found that I could no longer walk anything but the shortest distances without a stick and for anything longer I needed a wheelchair. Almost a year ago having recovered from my other problems I decided to do something about it (and did) and as a result I am now much fitter and capable than before (almost back to being as good as I was when I left school).

Well that's my introduction, I have enjoyed reading all your posts over the last weeks and now look forward to being able to join in.

Welcome Sue. I am a RBK simce Nov 2005 due to a blister - five days from blister to amputation.

This is a great place to spend time. You get support here that you can find niowhere else - because we understand like no one else.

JudyH

Hi, Sue:

Welcome aboard. I'm fascinated by all you folks who began ampdom as kids. I didn't start losing limbs until my 60's - thanks to diabetes and PVD. First my LBK, then 6 months later, the RBK.

My amps came after months or trying to save the legs. Gradually, it became more obvious what the outcome would be. It's enough of a challenge making such decisions as an adult. It must be a real challenge for a 10 or 12 year old kid to face. My hat's off to you, Sue.

Hi Sue

Welcome. We seem to be from the same neck of the woods. I go to Oxford for my limbs and have looking to get some where closer, your input would be great.

Rachel

Hi Sue

Welcome. We seem to be from the same neck of the woods. I go to Oxford for my limbs and have looking to get some where closer, your input would be great.

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

For you L&D would be a short hop down the M1 as it is just off junction 11. Over the years I have been treated at Roehampton, Stanmore and finally L&D and personally think L&D is the best so far. Perhaps I am just lucky that I have had two very good prosthetists there (the first left - for promotion I think) and now I have Andrew who is in charge but who is excellent despite the problems I give him. I do now know how you would go about requesting a change in my case it has always been because I have moved and ended up in a different health area.

Sue

PS Thanks to everyone for your welcome.

Welcome,

I am a LBKA due to motorcycle accident a 3+ months ago. I have found alot of great info and support here.

Skully Cat

hI Sue and welcome

I am RAKA since 1985 form ski accident. I hope you enjoy the site. Ther are lots of very nice peeps in here so enjoy yourself. :P

Hi Sue

Im left AK for 6 months.

hi Sue

I had trouble getting here to, but once inside its great lots of help, support and advice a warm welcome.

neil :blink:

Sue

Thanks for that as I never knew they had a centre in the L&D. I can request a change any time just have never been brave enough. You know the old adage 'better the devil you know'.

I love my centre every one is real friendly and always polite and helpful. However they just cant seem to get the leg to fit properly and I have had to take so much time off work to travel I have been thinking of going to Northampton cos its closer.

I will make more serious enquiries now.

Rachel

Hi Sue and welcome to the forum.

I'm a lbk for 4 years now due to traumatic injury....Sorry it has taken so long to welcome you but sometimes, it get hard for me to keep caught up. Life gets very busy.

You will find a really great bunch of people here.

Higgy