Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
lisa

Does anyone here class themselves as Disabled?

Having had a nice weeklong break by the sea I’ve had time to think about being disabled or not disabled. I have decided I’m not disabled now or ever will be. My wife and daughters spending will probably cripple me but that is something else.

On the playgrounds of our childhood, we have all heard the old chant, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” In my case, this should apply to disability labels as well. That is what really gets me going, people putting labels on me or making assumptions about me without even getting to knowing me. My wife tells me to ignore it and whatever label people want to stick on me says nothing about me but a lot about them.

Is it all about education? Is there a relationship between words and things, mediated by thoughts?

Something for me to think about next time I go to the coast.

Sparky

Guest bearlover

All my childhood I heard names like "cripple" or Ironside, Simple cripple on on and on. :unsure: As I had to wear a big metal brace up to my hip. Kids made fun of me 24/7.. I think this made me stronger and made me want to prove to kids Iwas not a cripple or disabled. It sure made me stronger that is for sure. Kids can be so mean....I should know..I still knew I was not a cripple or disabled...Just a little challanged that's all! ;)

It sure made me stronger that is for sure.

.Just a little challanged that's all! ;)

Something made you stronger - That's for sure. You sound very capable of handling whatever comes your way.

I used to have a sign in my office for years. It said:

"DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MOSQUITOS

WHEN YOU ARE UP TO YOUR......REAR, IN ALLIGATORS"

It's what I think of myself and thereby, call myself, that's important.

I was raised by a decent, loving father, who's old Minnesota german way of teaching me was to always stress what I was doing wrong - rarely any compliment. I grew up determined to be better that what I believed he thought I was. He died when I was 29, at 65 years old, but since then I learned that he really did believe in me, but wanted me to strive for it.

I did.

On the playgrounds of our childhood, we have all heard the old chant, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” In my case, this should apply to disability labels as well. That is what really gets me going, people putting labels on me or making assumptions about me without even getting to knowing me. My wife tells me to ignore it and whatever label people want to stick on me says nothing about me but a lot about them.

Is it all about education? Is there a relationship between words and things, mediated by thoughts?

Sparky

"Doesn't matter what people call you. What matters is what you answer to."

Or something like that :unsure:

Sorry for the repeat, I just really dig that one! :D :D

On the playgrounds of our childhood, we have all heard the old chant, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." In my case, this should apply to disability labels as well. That is what really gets me going, people putting labels on me or making assumptions about me without even getting to knowing me. My wife tells me to ignore it and whatever label people want to stick on me says nothing about me but a lot about them.

Sparky

Shane, no need to apologise it needs to be repeated. As I said before it is about education.

Bear, at least you had a father that cared, when I had my accident I was in hospital for nearly a year and in that time mine visited me twice.

Sparky

Sparky

There is a picture of a tiny kitten looking into a mirror. Looking back at it is a lion, caption: "What matters is how you see yourself."

JudyH

Guest bearlover

On the playgrounds of our childhood, we have all heard the old chant, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." In my case, this should apply to disability labels as well. That is what really gets me going, people putting labels on me or making assumptions about me without even getting to knowing me. My wife tells me to ignore it and whatever label people want to stick on me says nothing about me but a lot about them.

Sparky

Shane, no need to apologise it needs to be repeated. As I said before it is about education.

Bear, at least you had a father that cared, when I had my accident I was in hospital for nearly a year and in that time mine visited me twice.

Sparky Your wife is right! My husband tells me the same thing..SHE loves you and that is all you need. Screw the nasty people...Like I said I have encountered it all my life. But also remeber this What goes around comes around! And believe me that is soooooooo true!! Your a wonderful man with a lot to offer. Your amputation dose not identify who you are!! ;)

I thought I already wrote on this topic, but I will write it again, I see myself as physically challenged, and disabled, but the people around me never let me think of myself any different just because I have an amputation, well we might have a few issues getting around, but so do many ablebodied people.

Lesley

Good, so I'll repeat another...

...whatever label people want to stick on me says nothing about me but a lot about them.

Now that's a gem!

...whatever label people want to stick on me says nothing about me but a lot about them.

Now that's a gem!

Absolutely. I like that one also Shane. That's worth repeating.

Guest bearlover

Now that's a gem!

Well Said!! Like Jum T. said that is a gem!

Well Said!! Like Jum T. said that is a gem!
oops sorry JIM I hit the wrong key!! :o

:P :P Ha Absolutely no problem K. I'd rather be called wrong, than not called at all. :D Wwe had an old saying in the army - "Call me anything ....... just don't call me: :D too late for chow" :angry: