Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
oneblueleg

DLA (question for Brits)

DLA  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in receipt of DLA? (any rate)

• Yes and I'm a BK
    • Yes and I'm an AK
    • Yes and I'm a bi-lateral (AK and/or BK)
    • No and I'm a BK
    • No and I'm an AK
    • No and I'm a bi-lateral (AK and/or BK)

Yes! everything Lizzie said is true, my friend used to fill these forms in for a living. she told me that they are looking for worse case senarios each time,

eg;How far can you walk? should be answered 'I can walk ---metres until it gets painful'.

rather than,'last week i did a two mile walk with my dogs, clever me!'

it's hard to answer them in a 'i can't do that' kind of way.rather than an 'i'm perfectly normal and coping with life' way

just make sure you have something FUN to do afterwards to cheer you back up.

oh yeah, and if you can't fill em in, there is someone at you local CAB that will do it for you in the way i just said.

Yes! everything Lizzie said is true, my friend used to fill these forms in for a living. she told me that they are looking for worse case senarios each time,

eg;How far can you walk? should be answered 'I can walk ---metres until it gets painful'.

rather than,'last week i did a two mile walk with my dogs, clever me!'

it's hard to answer them in a 'i can't do that' kind of way.rather than an 'i'm perfectly normal and coping with life' way

just make sure you have something FUN to do afterwards to cheer you back up.

That's way I can't see me getting it until I'm much older and develop other mobility issues... at present I'd have to basically lie... :huh:

That's way I can't see me getting it until I'm much older and develop other mobility issues... at present I'd have to basically lie... :rolleyes:

But then you wouldn't qualify because you'd be over 65 <_<

That's way I can't see me getting it until I'm much older and develop other mobility issues... at present I'd have to basically lie... :rolleyes:

But then you wouldn't qualify because you'd be over 65 <_<

Thanks for the good news Muz... :(

Hi guys on a roll tonite!

I have spent most of the day on the phone to the benefits and you are all right never ever give up without going into it all, they cocked my benefits up which had massive knock effects and why because my disability advisor at the job centre failed to give me a form when i told her i was moving, the first 6 people including a manager just blamed the system and different departments without looking into the problem.

It was only on my 7th phone call i found a lovely lady who was bright enough to realise the error and is helping to put it right, i think she should run for prime minister.

The problem is red tape and to much paperwork started no doubt by some prat in an office that doesn't understand the real world and if one bit of paper isn't stamped right the train comes off the tracks.

The british goverment want to bring in a law so that all government departments can access any of your records (which they probably do anyway they just want to legalise it) that would be a good idea if the people using the information new what they were doing in the first place.

Getting it off my chest tonite guys sorry!

nelly :lol: :blink: :P

and here I thought it was getting harder in the states for disability income fortunately I got mine quickly and have not had it discontinued yet but I have a friend who has been trying for a year now and still waiting on an appeals hearing

As a BKA it took me six months and many examinations by doctors to eventually get the DLA. I received it for two years paid into my bank until they realised that I was living back in Thailand again and it stopped without warning, why should that matter?

90% of my working life was spent working overseas and they still took the national insurance out of my wages. So you can pay into the system when you are overseas, but you can't get anything back if you are overseas, take easy, but find an excuse not to give. :angry:

Legless

P.S. All of this is and more is recorded by me for a future book that will really embarrass the government.

Stop paying National Insurance then. What a ridiculous assumption - that you should be able to receive benefits when you are not even living in the UK. Think of the flood gates that would open if even one person was allowed to do that. You would have every tom dick and harry who had decided completely of their own volition not to live in the UK anymore trying to claim the dole because they were unemployed because they had decided to move to a country where they couldn't speak the language and didn't know the culture.

You should not even have received DLA for the time you were living in Thailand and not in England before they found out. And arguably as a bk you should not have been receiving DLA in the first place anyway.

Stop paying National Insurance then. What a ridiculous assumption - that you should be able to receive benefits when you are not even living in the UK. Think of the flood gates that would open if even one person was allowed to do that. You would have every tom dick and harry who had decided completely of their own volition not to live in the UK anymore trying to claim the dole because they were unemployed because they had decided to move to a country where they couldn't speak the language and didn't know the culture.

You should not even have received DLA for the time you were living in Thailand and not in England before they found out. And arguably as a bk you should not have been receiving DLA in the first place anyway.

Here, here... well said Fiona... I'm an AK (with other issues) and wouldn't dream of even claiming, let alone receiving DLA, and I live in the UK!

I know this is an old topic but recently i was chatting to an67 year old gentleman who had become a double amputee skiing of all things.

He is not entitled to apply for dla as he is too old to work. There is no alternative for the elderly so he now has to rely on public transport to get to hospital. They have cut the budget for free transport so he is even more broke.

I felt so sorry for him. His wife is still working as they cannot make ends meet unles she does.

If she can work and he was working up until the accident surely surely he should be entitled

Rachel

I know this is an old topic but recently i was chatting to an67 year old gentleman who had become a double amputee skiing of all things.

He is not entitled to apply for dla as he is too old to work. There is no alternative for the elderly so he now has to rely on public transport to get to hospital. They have cut the budget for free transport so he is even more broke.

I felt so sorry for him. His wife is still working as they cannot make ends meet unles she does.

If she can work and he was working up until the accident surely surely he should be entitled

Rachel

That's just plain wrong...

Rachel

That's just plain wrong...

Yes agree. Think the rule are if you are getting DLA before the age of 65 (? not quite sure age) you continue to get it but if you apply for it after that age, they will not give it. Think you can only get attendance allowance. In some areas there is a hospital car service, but this people also have to pay for as far as I know, although may get help if on income support. It doesn't seem very fair does it.

Yes agree. Think the rule are if you are getting DLA before the age of 65 (? not quite sure age) you continue to get it but if you apply for it after that age, they will not give it. Think you can only get attendance allowance. In some areas there is a hospital car service, but this people also have to pay for as far as I know, although may get help if on income support. It doesn't seem very fair does it.

I learnt the reason for this fairly recently. It seems that it's all to do with keeping you in work. The DLA is supposed to help you with care and mobility needs ... before you reach retirement age.

If he can get Attendance Allowance, and his wife earns below a certain amount, his wife may be able to get Carers Allowance. It's not very much, but it may help? They should also ask their local Social Services for a Carers Assessment, to make sure that they're getting all the help they are entitled to. This website is quite useful.

Thanks folks for all the information. I have passed it on but they already knew most of it. Very clued up people. An amazing couple. They are going on a saga cruise this week as they won a little lottery money and are gonna blow it on a holiday.

Rachel