Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Falstaff1485

Inflamed Tendon???

I got my leg (RBK) about 3 weeks ago. I was doing really well and just about ready to go from 2 sticks to one stick. I started having intense pain on the outside of my right knee when I put all my weight on my prosthetic leg. I thought that the cup into which I put my stump was pinching my skin. I went to see my prosthetist and he tinkered about with my leg. It wasn't touching where it hurt, so we put our Sherlock Holmes heads on and deduced the problem was with me rather than my trusty limb.

My physio suggested it might be an inflamed tendon and told me to rest my leg for a week. It's frustrating to be going backwards.

Has anyone else had this problem, please? If so what remedy was suggested, and how successful was it. Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks

Falstaff

G'day Falstaff and welcome to our "home".

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I've not had a similar problem but have treated a lot of knees.

If it is an inflamation the usual routine is rest and ice. Talk to your physio about ice treatment.

It's not always a quick fix though, so be patient.

Cat :)

My physio suggested it might be an inflamed tendon and told me to rest my leg for a week. It's frustrating to be going backwards.

Has anyone else had this problem, please? If so what remedy was suggested, and how successful was it. Any information would be very welcome.

Thanks

Falstaff

Was wondering whereabouts on the knee, the pain or inflamation is. I know you said around the outside, but is it around the back of the knee, sort of in the back corner of the knee. I used to get this quite regularly on my b/k, for many years was told it was a variety of things, it usually disappeared with rest but when I started wearing the leg again would re-appear. I found out that mine was a type of bursitis, caused by pressure from the leg, and is the body trying to protect the joint by producing fluid, and got around it by getting them to give me more room around that part of the back of the knee.

Thank you so much, folks. If you can imagine that the kneecap facing forward is 12 o'clock, then the pain is at about 4 o'clock. I haven't put any weight on my prosthetic leg since Monday. I'll wait until I see my physio again, next Monday. If the pain persists, I'll see the quack.

Regards

Falstaff

I wonder (and this is by no means a definitive answer) if the pain happens every time you wear the artificial limb, the angle that the socket is set up in might be incorrect (too adducted)? It might be more useful to see your prosthetist as well as the doctor to make sure it is definately not a problem with the artificial limb.

It could be bursitis - if it is, then your prosthetist should be looking into relieving pressure from the area where the inflammation is happening as one cause of bursitis is continual pressure on a certain area. Certainly, if the pain happens when you wear the limb, then be careful as it could be causing more permanent problems.

Guest bearlover

And perhaps your prosthetist could make a socket that dose not touch the area of tenderness. He could also relief it with a adjustment..

I got my leg (RBK) about 3 weeks ago. I was doing really well and just about ready to go from 2 sticks to one stick. I started having intense pain on the outside of my right knee when I put all my weight on my prosthetic leg. I thought that the cup into which I put my stump was pinching my skin. I went to see my prosthetist and he tinkered about with my leg. It wasn't touching where it hurt, so we put our Sherlock Holmes heads on and deduced the problem was with me rather than my trusty limb.

Thanks

Falstaff

Hi Falstaff, I don't know that I have ever posted on this forum but I do read alot. I had the same problem. But, my problem was very aparent. I am a lbk for 3 years now. my foot was adjusted wrong and it looked like I had been riding horses for a month. My knee buckled out. The prosthetist had my leg adjusted in a straight line but that alignment didn't work for my body frame. He had to move the pilon further to the outside of the socket and readjust the foot so the inside of the foot tilted toward the outside, kinda like walking on the outside edge of a normal foot. I think some prosthetists like to follow the general rules of what should work, but it my case it clearly didn't and i was in severe pain. If I understood you correctly this may help you.

Good luck

Thanks

Falstaff

Hi Falstaff, I don't know that I have ever posted on this forum but I do read alot. I had the same problem. But, my problem was very aparent. I am a lbk for 3 years now. my foot was adjusted wrong and it looked like I had been riding horses for a month. My knee buckled out. The prosthetist had my leg adjusted in a straight line but that alignment didn't work for my body frame. He had to move the pilon further to the outside of the socket and readjust the foot so the inside of the foot tilted toward the outside, kinda like walking on the outside edge of a normal foot. I think some prosthetists like to follow the general rules of what should work, but it my case it clearly didn't and i was in severe pain. If I understood you correctly this may help you.

Good luck

Have been in a Harmony 7 wks now. In the pin system nothing helped and I had the most severe pain I believe in the same place. When I went into the Harmoney I had discomfort in the same place and as they said as soon as my foot was adjusted in a not typical fashion I had instant relieve. When I had the accident I took the hit on my entire left side shoulder to hip, on & on and am a LBKA. I hope this helps, but I agree and have been frustrated and tendonitis hurts. When I ache there now ice was suggested but because I have autonomic failure to boot, I can not ice so I use Lidoderm patches there if I ache from over doing which I have been with my house in demolition.

Skully Cat