Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Falstaff1485

I met this amputee the other day

Guest bearlover
:angry: I have discrimnated againist all my life. So this is niothing new to me at all as it may be to many of you. I wore a brace all my life brfore amputation. With the amputation some people have been much more "mean" to me. when I park in the disabled parking some people actually question me. I had long pants on and I pulled them up over my "pipe" at the time and said to a nosy person who questioned me. " this is my excuse what's yours? for being so nosy?" She almost droped! :lol: Some people will be discrimnated against us. I just figure they have a bigger problem than I will ever have. I do stand up for myself when needed, but don't let these idiots ruin my day. I have learned not to pay any attention to them. They have a bigger problem than I will ever have! ;)

There are laws in this country about treating people with respect.

No - there are not; there are laws to ensure equal access and opportunities.

Respect is earned, and it won't be earned by vicious, snarling, professional victims launching spurious lawsuits and convincing all with whom they come into contact that "disabled people" are obnoxious troublemakers.

We need open-mindedness and cooperation from able-bodied people so they can understand our needs and feel motivated to help oblige them, and as we're in the minority, I feel that it's us that needs to go the extra mile.

As Bearlover says, and as we've all experienced, there will always be idiots with their own "issues", but that's no reason to consider ourselves at war with the able-bodied world.

The two most important lessons I ever learned in life were: "You've got to be a team player", and "You've got to give" - the team in this case is humanity as a whole, and there will always be situations which won't resolve themselves without us giving time, giving explanations, and giving leeway until we are properly understood - a process which is greatly helped by having a positive attitude towards everyone concerned.

Of course we should stand up for our rights, but I'm not going to approve of anyone carelessly setting our cause back by needlessly being a jerk.

Roz. <_<

Jesus, I'm sorry to have offended so many of you. Obviously, either this forum is not for me, or I'm not for it. You won't hear any more from me. I never knew that I was a jerk for wanting to stand up for myself.

Goodbye

Falstaff

Awwww - come on, Falstaff! Don't be a baby!

When you're here, you're picking on people "your own size", so you can't expect to get your own way as easily as if you bully some poor hapless able-bodied person!

I don't speak for the forum, and I never suggested that you should leave - I think you should stay, because variety and contrast of opinions is extremely valuable.

Stay - and let's have more frank exchanges of opinion! They do us all good!

...but if you must go, try not to harm our cause too much...

I genuinely wish you all the best.

Roz. :)

Well said Roz and Cat

The sad fact is, it has always been easier to fight for your limitations.

Sparky

Absolutely, Sparky!

It definitely takes a leap of faith to greet the world from a position of strength and confidence (and benevolence!), but it's so rewarding when you do!

Guest bearlover

Amputation saved my life too! I only meant that for some it is awful not all, some people are overly senstive to the subject.. ;) Iam not one of them, things could be a hell off a lot worse than a amputation! ;)

Guest bearlover

As I explain to my 1st graders about my leg.. "Iam just like you! I have 2 eyes, teeth 2 ears 2 arms, I like icecram!, just like you! But I have a "specil leg" that helps me walk! and to the things I want to do. It may be a little harder for me. But if I try I may do it. Not always the way you do it but I do it..I also have a amputee teddy bear I use to help the children understand..I also talk about other children in the school who are the same. Some just need a wheelchair to get around...Children are more accepting than adults..But I quess we have to educate the adults too! ;)

Hi

Falstaff started this post to tell you about a guy who takes no crap! So in response alot of you have jumped on your band wagon and attacked him. Try giving abit of humanity to a new member who obviously joined this forum for support. Presuming he or anyone is at war with able bodied people is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. I think he actually said that it's establishments who have had 11 years to prepare for disabled peoples rights that he had issues with. As quite often with this forum people twist and turn someones posting so that you can gang up on them. I won't be leaving the forum and I will continue to put postings on here. A real shame that yet again someone has be driven out just because they put an innocent posting on here.

Lisa

Guest bearlover

It is his choice! We did not drive him away ;) We all have different opnions and thoughts maybe he is just a senstive person! ;)

Guest bearlover

Some amputees can't get beyond the woe is me mode..Like I said people need to move on and drop the bitterness it will get us no where! Just my 2 cents! ;)

Falstaff,

I don't believe that anyone on this board called you a jerk.

Nor do I believe that anyone here wants you to leave the board.

There are not many good amputee boards around, perhaps we just all got off on the wrong "foot."

Please, do not leave, your input here is welcomed and appreciated. We may not all share the same views, but we all have something to contribute to this board and to the world of amputees.

But you do have to be "thick skinned" to hang with some of these people here. Many members of this board have been amputees way before there were such a thing as Amputee Rights!

Hey,

I just noticed..........................

That was my 100th post on this board!

I think I will have myself a Wild Turkey and Water to celebrate.

I'm always lookimng for some excuse to celebrate!

Congratulations on becoming a Super Member, biguncleted!

Cheers!

I also know someone from the Royal Navy. He caught malaria as a teenager and suffered from it for the rest of his life. He nearly died from yellow fever when he was only 22 years old.He lost the sight of his right eye when he was struck in the face. However the eye itself remained intact, so he never wore an eye-patch.

He was hit in the stomach and suffered from a hernia for the rest of his life. He was badly wounded in the right elbow and the arm had to be cut off without anaesthetic. And, finally, he was hit in the head and suffered from concussion for many months afterwards. I wonder what would have happened at Trafalgar if he had desided to give up and "grab that to which I am entitled" and "sues the pants of any establishment that doesn't provide adequate access and provision for disabled people".

I know which one is my hero.

Sparky

Hmm wasn't he the man who instructed the government to take care of his mistress, following his death?

I also know someone from the Royal Navy. He caught malaria as a teenager and suffered from it for the rest of his life. He nearly died from yellow fever when he was only 22 years old.He lost the sight of his right eye when he was struck in the face. However the eye itself remained intact, so he never wore an eye-patch.

He was hit in the stomach and suffered from a hernia for the rest of his life. He was badly wounded in the right elbow and the arm had to be cut off without anaesthetic. And, finally, he was hit in the head and suffered from concussion for many months afterwards. I wonder what would have happened at Trafalgar if he had desided to give up and "grab that to which I am entitled" and "sues the pants of any establishment that doesn't provide adequate access and provision for disabled people".

I know which one is my hero.

Sparky

Hmm wasn't he the man who instructed the government to take care of his mistress, following his death?

Hello Muz. Good to see you on again. Then..... I'm not around as much as before, so maybe our paths just haven't crossed.

The Royal Navy seem's to be taking the brunt of this "discussion", what with one wanting all the percs that he can get, and another wanting his mistress taken care of. Mercy - Maybe it's that daily allowance of Rum that you all are reputed to get. :D At least you guy's live life to the fullest.

...one wanting all the percs that he can get, and another wanting his mistress taken care of...

They sound pretty similar to me too, Jim. :D

Rum may well be the answer. :unsure:

Lizzie :)

You mean Rum and Coke! ;) :lol:

Us older folks called it " Rum and Coca-Cola" pronounced " Ru-um an' Cocahh - Coala". (Pardon my phonetic attempt). It was a song sung during WWII by the McGuire Sisters, a very popular singing group at the time. :D :P B)

Guest bearlover

You mean Rum and Coke! ;) :lol:

Us older folks called it " Rum and Coca-Cola" pronounced " Ru-um an' Cocahh - Coala". (Pardon my phonetic attempt). It was a song sung during WWII by the McGuire Sisters, a very popular singing group at the time. :D :P B)

Yep I remeber my parents telling me about that song! I was born in the 60''s so I relly don't remeber it! ;)

...but if you must go, try not to harm our cause too much...

I genuinely wish you all the best.

Wow, Roz, you really hit the nail on the head. There's a huge difference in expecting equal access as required by law and looking for unequal access so that someone can be sued or used as a punching bag for the frustrations we all feel.

Great post!

... Tom

In this part of the world, the drink is called a "Cuba Libre."

Bacardi rum and Coca-Cola on ice, with a wedge of lime.

Very Tasty!

Very popular!

Guest bearlover

:)

In this part of the world, the drink is called a "Cuba Libre."

Bacardi rum and Coca-Cola on ice, with a wedge of lime.

Very Tasty!

Very popular!

mmmm! Sounds good! B)