Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
trwinship

Animal Reactions

One of the odd/funny things I've discovered since my b/k amputation has been the reaction of household pets to the discovery that not all humans are bipedal all the time! In one instance I was walking in a park when I was approached from the opposite direction by a young woman and her small Maltese dog. As they passed I smiled at the lady, then at the dog trailing behind. Without warning the dog whipped around and bit down hard on the calf of my (fortunately prosthetic!) leg--hard enough to go through the fabric of my pants leg, through all the foam rubber, and penetrated to the metal pylon with a pretty loud clang! This produced a well-deserved shocked expression on the face of the dog and an appalled gasp on the part of the lady who, with her next breath, demanded to know what I had done to her dog! They both took off pretty fast afterwards.

The other example concerns my two recently-adopted cats; Daisy, a black-and-white long haired female, and Jelly, an all-black short-haired male (nope, I have no idea where their names came from). Jelly is a very laid-back fellow, quite accepting of all his new human's odd ways. His one reaction to the sometimes-absence of one leg is to take advantage of the open space in bed to cuddle up closer at night. But his sister believes in the demonic power of some humans to detach limbs, and responds by arching her back and puffing up her tail when the leg comes off! The reaction is even more dramatic if the leg moves by itself--hissing and swatting that thing are called for!

Hi T

You're not alone :D

My two dogs fight for the space on the chair left by my absent limb. Trouble is if I let one up, the other will just climb on me and just sit on top of me until I move. Which means I end up sitting on the floor with my back against the chair with their heads resting on my shoulders watching TV.

Best as....

Steve

(Who seems to be having a dogs life :D )

yeh doggie i know exactly what you mean my dog does exactly the same sits in the space and even will not let my husband come to close .

My cockatiel uses the limb to his advantage. When he's out of his cage, he enjoys being on my shoulder. Well one day I got busy on the computer and wasn't paying much attention to him. Wrong thing to do, he made sure that was going to change. When I glanced down, there he was on my thigh looking up at me, just as proud as he could be, that he'd climbed up my leg. Only the next time he went for it, I didn't have it on, he sure was surprised when he got to the top and no thigh to stand on. :D

Sheila

Keep Smiling :)

I've found that horses are especially sensitive to artificial limbs. It's so strange! Almost everyone I've met since the amputation drops their head and sniffs up & down my prosthesis.

My dog sleeps with me every night (yes I spoil the little thing) anyway he loves it that he has the extra room at the foot of the bed and I can only kick him with one leg...

Brenda

Echo Elissa-my GGs (I've got 4 at the moment) all notice my leg. My last youngster seemed to think it was a fun play thing and used to get the bottom of the cover at the ankle and pull it around with his teeth, which put me on my bum in the straw on more than one occasion :rolleyes:

I'm a DBKA, so there's no "real me" below the nkees. When I visit homes with small dogs, they come over, sniff at my legs, them look up with a puzzled "this does not compute" look. A larger dog whose nose reaches thigh level has no problem.