Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Shane

A few pics from this past weekend

These are from a race I competed in this past weekend near Little Rock, Arkansas. I've been meaning to post some pics for a while now, so here goes...

2006-10-08

I'm not real sure, but I hope this works. :angry:

Awesome Shane good job

Wow - what a stunning photo gallery. You must definitely post more like that for us - thanks!!!

I shall no longer complain that my girly sandals fall off - there's more living to do then walking :angry:

Such fun - oof - I really need to do something wild again.

Thanks for that Shane. Such a nice start to my day!

:D

Great job Shane. I'll bet you're glad you made that guard.

How do you stabilize yourself when going around a left curve? It amazes me that you can do this without a leg, pros or otherwise.

These are from a race I competed in this past weekend near Little Rock, Arkansas. I've been meaning to post some pics for a while now, so here goes...

2006-10-08

I'm not real sure, but I hope this works. :unsure:

Fantastic...keep em coming!

JudyH

Thanks! :D I'm recovered now and ready to ride. One race left in the season,I think we may skip it. I think both Reagen (my 11 yr old) and myself are planning to regroup over the winter and be ready to step it up a bit next season, which starts in feb or march.

To answer Neal's question- I try to not slow down enough that I need a foot. If I do, the only thing to keep me off the ground is throttle. If I start to fall, I try to quickly roll on the throttle and most of the time I can get the bike to stand right back up. :) But sometimes not! :unsure: Right turns are actually tougher at speed because the bike has a tendency to slide out without the left leg providing some down force.

This last race was pretty rough for me physically. I'd guess that I went down about 15 or so times. On the last lap, I went down on a large hill. Eight spills later, I reached the top. <_< That really killed my finish for the day. I got 11 out of 16 in my class and 58 out of 110 overall. Would you believe that I was the only amp there? :angry: :P

Would you believe that I was the only amp there? :unsure: :P

They should have a special amputee classification. You'd win every time. ;) :D

That looks spot on i would like to get back to biking and found out about the electronic shifter but wife and sons are against it , but never thought about offroad thanks for the idea will wait and see what family think well good look with next season keep us informed of how you do good luck.

Excellent ! Good for you :)

I hope you don't mind me asking these *possibly 2 totally stupid* questions and i'm sorry if i've missed something but .... :huh: ... Why don't you wear a prosthesis? Would it just get in the way? I would have thought your bike would be more stabilized as weight on both sides, ..no? :ph34r: :lol:

Excellent ! Good for you :)

I hope you don't mind me asking these *possibly 2 totally stupid* questions and i'm sorry if i've missed something but .... :huh: ... Why don't you wear a prosthesis? Would it just get in the way? I would have thought your bike would be more stabilized as weight on both sides, ..no? :ph34r: :lol:

Hey Karen! No problem. :D

To make a long story short, yes, it would just be in the way. I thought I might ride with a prosthesis until I finally got my first leg. I put it on that first time and thought "No way do I want this thing attached to me during a get-off!" The socket would keep me from feeling the bike and there is no good way to keep the foot on the peg. I no longer have "power" on that side, so it really would serve no purpose. (as in keeping me from falling over or standing on the pegs.) I have to sit most times (very rough on the tush!) and "save" my leg for only the roughest sections, when I do stand on one leg. On jumps, I sit on take off and "stand" only for the landing to help absorb some shock. Needless to say, after a 2+ hour race, my right thigh is SHOT!!

One other thing that is usually a surprise to onlookers is that my left turns (LAK) are actually better than the rights. Left turns are only worse when at low speeds. But traction in the right turns suffers drastically without any down force applied on the left. In other words, the bike is more likely to slide out in a right turn than in a left. :blink:

Would you believe that I was the only amp there? :huh: :P

Why does that not suprise me? B)

Too many people, not just amps, have let their - get up and go - got up and went

Your setting a great example for that 11 year old of yours - and a lot of others. Thanks for the pictures.

2006-10-08

I'm not real sure, but I hope this works. :rolleyes:

WOW! Just one question - how was your stump (or residual limb to be politically correct) at the end of the race?

JudyH

Hi Khairull and Judy!!

Thanks for the compliments! :D :D

Usually my stump does fine. It didn't take me very many times of falling on it to learn to keep it as far away from the ground as possible! :lol: Sometimes I can't wear my leg after the race, but that has more to do with raw arse than sore stump! :lol: