Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ann

College Park TruStep Foot - anyone tried it?

Am trialling a College Park TruStep Foot, and i wondered whether or not anyone had tried this, and if so what they thought about it.

Got to mention that my previous feet were the pretty basic kind (not sure what type) that I had been wearing for years.

Guest bearlover

for me the college park foot was to heavy. And did not move like I would like it to.

I have the college park tru step along with the harmony socket system.

Yes, the leg is heavy but with the harmony system I don't feel the weight (unless I lose vacuum)

I love the tru step, the range of motion, the way the ankle works make my gait very natural. Some of the newer people at my work are not aware that I even have a prosthetic leg.

The only drawbacks are maintenance related. The bushes need replacing regularly - I've been through 2 and a bit sets in 4 years. The other (which has been solved) was a loud click when I walked - this was due to the grub screws attaching the foot to the pylon - it seems that there may be a (very) slight difference in the angles or different manufacturing tolerances.

About a year ago the Vice President of College Park and one of their top technicians made a flying visit to Wellington New Zealand and I went in to the limb centre to see them to see if they could fix the problem. The technician knew of the issue and quickly fixed it - roughing up the surface of the grub screw where it meets the pylon did the trick - since then I've had no more problems.

My spare foot has some of the same movements but not as free moving as the tru-step - it's a good foot and much better than the old spare foot I had which was almost the same as a block of wood.

My spare foot has some of the same movements but not as free moving as the tru-step - it's a good foot and much better than the old spare foot I had which was almost the same as a block of wood.

Your old spare foot, sounds a bit like the one I have been wearing for the last 30 odd years, however, it hasn't restricted me in any way, I really just wanted something with toes which looked visually a bit better.

Have been wearing these feet for a day now, well I say feet as I am bilateral, however, one of the legs they attached it too itself was altered last week and now only wearable for a few hours, so it was really not the best time to be changing feet, so this morning I changed back to my old limb which mean't I was wearing the new Tru-step foot on the right and the old basic one on the left. I was working this morning which mean't stairs, etc. etc. I found stairs much more difficult (esp. coming down), I also had a walk up a bit of a slope.

I have noticed today, that my right foot is turning inwards quite a bit, and my hip, knee and leg generally is aching and feels much more tired than it would normally. When they fitted the feet yesterday, they said it would more shock absorb and reduce wear and tear on the joints, also that it would be easier on stairs, slopes and rough ground - not my experience so far !!

I don't know if I should expect this, am I walking different with the foot using different muscles? or is it because I am walking with two different feet?

Any ideas ?

Ann

You'll probably find it harder to adjust to the new type of feet, because you're bilateral - that's my experience, anyway. It took me a solid two weeks to get used to the more dynamic feet.

Lizzie :)

Ann

You'll probably find it harder to adjust to the new type of feet, because you're bilateral - that's my experience, anyway. It took me a solid two weeks to get used to the more dynamic feet.

Lizzie :)

hmmm.......well also having problems with the socket and alignment on one of the legs as thats been altered also, so thats definitely not helping. But I am having particular problems with slopes, yesterday, when I was wearing just one of the new feet, had to walk up a slight hill and the foot wouldn't seem to let me walk as I would normally do, it felt like there were no muscles to do it, not sure if anyone recognizes this feeling (I don't get it with the othe older feet) ..... I sort of felt stuck at the botoom of the slope .... only way I could get up was to sort of go up on the toes.

Also got a horrendous ridge where the foot/ankle joins the leg which doesn't look good at all.

At the moment there doesn't seem any benefits and I am thinking that I just want the old ones back!!

another problem/issue with the tru-step is that because it has so much movement in the ankle, it's very difficult to get the alignment just right.

When I first got the leg I had some troubles with socket fit - when we experimented with a less flexible foot we found that the socket alignment was way out. When we then switched back to the tru-step all the socket problems I had been experiencing went away. I have had no socket problems since.

Hi, Ann

As you can see, everyone's experience is different. I'd urge you to trial more feet if you can.

I am an AK, so possibly need different things from a foot, but here's my thoughts on the subject. A College Park rep was in my prosthetist's office yesterday, and asked me to try some of their feet. First was a prototype (only 3 made right now) heel-adjustable foot. I found it to feel extremely stiff..... hard heel and stiff toe. It was very easy to adjust, though. Since it's a prototype they are just in the feedback gathering stage right now, so there will be lots of changes before it comes to market...if it does - see my note below. I also tried the Tru-Step. They told me I should find it easier to walk up and down ramps, etc., but I didn't feel any difference from my current foot, which has some movement at the ankle, and the foot did not have a smooth rollover. It reminded me of some Flex-Feet..... too springy for everyday walking.

I am currently wearing the Freedom Runway adjustable foot and I think it's the best one on the market. Have you every tried it? It has a very smooth rollover and good energy but not too springy. Afet, a bi-lateral BK from this forum, wears Runway feet and has highly recommended them. If you can, I'd recommend you give them a try. Hope this has been of some help! :)

Note: I have heard that Freedom is going to discontinue making the Runway feet because Medicare is not going to have a code for heel adjustable feet anymore (says it's "not necessary") and the insurance companies will adopt same policy. I'm in the process of trying to find out who at Medicare to contact to confirm this is true, and will post the info when I get it.

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Hi Ann,

Yes I have; still wear it and totally luv it! Bet foot ever for me!

The split toe makes a huge difference. As far as weight as weight goes I'm 54 kilos' which is very light, if the socket fits properly weight will never be an issue.

The feedback is excellent by the way

Mel x

I happen to know that the Runway feet are not going to be discontinued. Some other company must be spreading rumors. Freedom says they aren't discontinuing it.

I´v tried collage parks Trustep, but i dident like it too much, it was to stiff, and hard at the heelstrike, even with the soft bumpers (compered to my "old" foot) it is quite good but not as good as i was hoping =(, so i turned back to my old foot, i have also tried th Pathfinder II, it has good some goood properties, like the adjusteble pump, and the rotation, But iv couldent seam to walk comfortible in it, and iv tried all sort of alignments, but nothing seamd to work, so again, iv turned back to my old foot, and when i think of it, is really great, and really nice to walk with real smooth and soft gait.

And i have also just been fitted with the Endolite TT Pro shock Absorber, and it is great :D

but it is quit long so u have to have som space between the socket and the foot, with it i can jump and land on the heel and it doesent hurt at all :) and it is much comfortible walking with it, and it got some rotations, so now iv got the properies i liked from the Pathfinder and i can walk comfortible, my system looks like this:

A vaccum socket, a Endolite TT Pro shock Absorber and a Freedom innovations Highlander (FS 3000) foot,

its the best system i´v tried so far.

this is how it looks like

mitt_ben_s.jpg

Like Mini Monkey, I also have a Freedom 3000 foot and like it a lot. But I use the Runway for my "everyday" foot because of the heel adjustability. :-)

I mentioned in my earlier post that I had heard Freedom was going to discontinue the Runway because Medicare is not providing a code for the adjustability feature anymore, but am happy to report that they will continue to make the Runway. I received this info from one of the company's employees.

Ann, as you can see, there are many differing opinions on feet. I think the best thing you can do is trial as many as you can. You can "get used" to any foot, but it's worth taking your time to find the right one for you. :)

Karen

AKA

Orlando, FL

Yes thanks to everyone who got back to me.

I am not sure if my problems were due to the alignment with the feet or the fact that one of my limbs is not a comfortable fit anyway. This happened also when I tried the elation and was never sure if it was the limb or the foot.

For now though I have returned to my old foot, at least on one side anyway -they didn't have time to change the other at the appointment, so am now stuck with two odd feet till my next appointment. Am a bit cross at the moment because was told if I wasn't happy with them that they would change them back, didn't think it was going to be this much hassle though.

Yes thanks to everyone who got back to me.

I am not sure if my problems were due to the alignment with the feet or the fact that one of my limbs is not a comfortable fit anyway. This happened also when I tried the elation and was never sure if it was the limb or the foot.

For now though I have returned to my old foot, at least on one side anyway -they didn't have time to change the other at the appointment, so am now stuck with two odd feet till my next appointment. Am a bit cross at the moment because was told if I wasn't happy with them that they would change them back, didn't think it was going to be this much hassle though.

Hi Ann

I use the the College Park Ventura with a TTpro, works well and probably the the best foot and shock unit I have ever had, can't fault College Park.

PJ ;)

My only foot has been the College Park Tru-Step and I really like it. Nothing to compare to, but I'd kill to keep it!!

Guest bearlover
I´v tried collage parks Trustep, but i dident like it too much, it was to stiff, and hard at the heelstrike, even with the soft bumpers (compered to my "old" foot) it is quite good but not as good as i was hoping =(, so i turned back to my old foot, i have also tried th Pathfinder II, it has good some goood properties, like the adjusteble pump, and the rotation, But iv couldent seam to walk comfortible in it, and iv tried all sort of alignments, but nothing seamd to work, so again, iv turned back to my old foot, and when i think of it, is really great, and really nice to walk with real smooth and soft gait.

And i have also just been fitted with the Endolite TT Pro shock Absorber, and it is great :D

but it is quit long so u have to have som space between the socket and the foot, with it i can jump and land on the heel and it doesent hurt at all :) and it is much comfortible walking with it, and it got some rotations, so now iv got the properies i liked from the Pathfinder and i can walk comfortible, my system looks like this:

A vaccum socket, a Endolite TT Pro shock Absorber and a Freedom innovations Highlander (FS 3000) foot,

its the best system i´v tried so far.

this is how it looks like

mitt_ben_s.jpg Ialso found it stiff and hard to walk with. I like my new one better forget what it is called but i like it much better!