Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
insane

Osseointegration Part One

Thanks Oneblue, It will distract me from thinking about the pain, I also hope that it will encourage muscle growth back in the leg too. Oh and I used an old cushion to sit on rather than sit directly on the concrete floor. I should have the car finished by the weekend even though I am taking it easy. :D

Thanks Oneblue, It will distract me from thinking about the pain, I also hope that it will encourage muscle growth back in the leg too. Oh and I used an old cushion to sit on rather than sit directly on the concrete floor. I should have the car finished by the weekend even though I am taking it easy. :D

Hang in there Paul, we are all rooting for you! :) keep up the posts, Happy New year to you, lets hope your wounds heal ASAP, sounds as though your head is altogether. Look after yourself, my wife treated me to a massage with a physio for xmas it was great, got rid of loads of tension out of my shoulders............just a thought!

Paul :D

Hang in there Paul, we are all rooting for you! :) keep up the posts, Happy New year to you, lets hope your wounds heal ASAP, sounds as though your head is altogether. Look after yourself, my wife treated me to a massage with a physio for xmas it was great, got rid of loads of tension out of my shoulders............just a thought!

Paul :D

I love the thought of my wife buying me a massage...mmmm... you lucky boy..

Thanks Paul, my wife is quite good at the massage so I get that free :D I haven't finished under the car yet as I was held up the other day with a 24 hour bug thing that made me feel like I was stood on a small boat at sea. I also felt sick and ended up in bed for a good few hours.

It had me quite worried as I have never had anything like it but by the next day I was fine again. Also I tend to expect too much of myself and set goals that are too far away to achieve in the time. I am past the half-way mark though and will be putting the rear end of the car on axle stands sometime today.

I tried a small experiment yesterday too, I wondered if I could manage on one of the Gabapentin nerve-blocker tablet per day. I decided that I was not ready for that yet as the sensation of many needles being in me and twisting had not dulled sufficiently. I do think I could cope with only two of the Tramadol pain killer tablets a day now instead of three and will be giving that a go today.

I will let you know how I get on and thanks for your support so far.

I tried a small experiment yesterday too, I wondered if I could manage on one of the Gabapentin nerve-blocker tablet per day. I decided that I was not ready for that yet as the sensation of many needles being in me and twisting had not dulled sufficiently. I do think I could cope with only two of the Tramadol pain killer tablets a day now instead of three and will be giving that a go today.

As far as I know, Paul, it takes a while for your blood serum levels of Gabapentin to change, so if you reduced your dosage by one tablet you wouldn't notice the effects for at least two to three days. It takes a while to build up the blood serum levels sufficiently and it takes a while for them to reduce too. Alterations in your Tramadol dosage, on the other hand, will be noticed almost immediately.

I've always found that it's best to keep your pain levels manageable, so that you can be as active as possible. You're only a few weeks into your rehab...be kind to yourself. :)

Lizzie :)

Thanks for that Lizzie, it does mess up my little theory though! I don't like taking tablets and the Tramadol ones say avoid alcohol :( Because I try to behave myself with things like that I have not had a drink since towards the end of November last year! :o I was looking forward to a pint of home brew stout too. At this rate it will have gone off by the time I finish taking the tablets.

Back to the car progress. Underneath the rear wheel arches and underneath the rest of the back is now cleaned off with a damp sponge and there are only a few small spots that need attention. I still feel like I can manage a few more hours today but at the moment I am having a warm in the house and a bite to eat.

So, to sum up my recovery from the operation I would think that I am 80% recovered now. However, I still cannot stand for longer than 5 minutes without a pressure type discomfort and I still cannot sleep on my stomach but there seems to be less "padding" over the bone at the front than before.

Thanks again Lizzie.

I am back again with another update.

I am now sleeping back on my stomach and the tablets are down again to one Tramadol and one Gabapentin a day. I can stand for much longer now without pressure discomfort and come to mention it I have not been aware of the pressure discomfort for a while now and I am sure I was stood for a long while the other day and I never gave it a thought.

I tried putting the leg on the other day too but it was too painful as I am a completely different shape than when the leg was made. There was too much loading on the end so I decided not to bother with it. I tried it because I thought it would give the muscles a good work out if I was able to wear it without too much discomfort.

I don't think I will be trying it again but having to cope without the prosthesis for such a long time is not easy and things do get rather frustrating at times.

Glad it's improving Paul keep at it.

Try not to get frustrated give it time :) I know that's really hard but in the long term you'll be better for it.

Hey, Paul. All I can say is W-O-W...WOW. You are facing this thing head-on and you have my greatest respect for doing so. Like Cheryl said, you are braving uncharted waters here. I know things are moving slow. But, man, you've got this! You've got exactly what it takes! Every day that passes is one day closer to the goal. So, keep up the outstanding work!!!! :D :D

Oh, and keep the updates coming!!! :D

Thanks Shane and Cat, I do think I am progressing well although it seems slow. I had planned another tablet reduction for yesterday but I was in a little more discomfort than normal last night. I think I may have been standing for a bit too long as I gave my wife's car an oil and filter change and painted some fence panels that had blown out and were temporarily in the garage waiting for the strong winds to die down. It took me a while to get to sleep but I feel OK again now.

Something I haven't mentioned is my age and unfortunately is is probably relevant to the post. I am 47 but don't look it :D and I think that if I had been 18 again I would have stopped the tablets at least two weeks ago.

...I think that if I had been 18 again I would have stopped the tablets at least two weeks ago.

Hmmm...that sounds like 'bloke speak' to me, Paul. ;) I think you may be underestimating how large your op was. :angry:

My TKR involved inserting half the knee prosthesis all the way up the centre of my femur (the other half went all the way down my tibia)...which I think was a similar op to yours, as you had a prosthesis inserted into your femur, didn't you? Anyway, it took ages before the swelling reduced in my leg. As far as I can remember, the 3 month (post op) mark felt a lot more comfortable than the 3 week (post op) mark.

I felt like I was watching paint dry...I'm sure you feel much the same sometimes, don't you?

It is time for another update. I have only been taking one Gabapentin tablet for the last two weeks now and I had planned to reduce that to once every other day instead.unfortunately there is a nagging background ache so I think I may have to go another week before I try that. I am a bit fed up with being on the tablets as I never took them before but as you mentioned Lizzie it was a big op I suppose.

Under advice I have requested a final socket so that the muscles in my leg will get a proper workout because I was told it would make the recovery form the second operation much easier for me if I could build them back up again. I did try the original socket but there was too much weight bearing on the end.

I pick the new socket up on the 22nd of this month so I will be doing a little walking again and that will make a pleasant change. I do not intend to do too much and the last thing I want is to get another abscess because of it. I did say I never wanted to see another socket but as it has been recommended I am going to do as I am told.

To make things easier for my prosthetist I am going to try the sock and belt method of attachment rather than the suction or seal-in-liner method as I think suction may not be a good idea under the circumstances.

Hello stranger, nice to hear from you again. Sounds like everything is beginning to come together for you. I know what you mean about taking tablets I had a long arguement with the 'Pain Management Team' while I was in hospital, ended up agreeing to take the meds just to get rid of them.

Take it easy and look after yourself.

Hi Sparky and thanks for your post.

I go through phases when I don't post that much and it is probably because I am busy in the garage and worn out when I get back in. I have found that at the moment because I am not wearing a limb my leg gets extremely cold. What would be good is something like a stump-shrinker but with a woolen stump sock on it but I don't know whether those things exist or not. Hopefully next winter I will be back in my jeans and the problem will not occur.

Now on to the tablets that I hate so much. I am not sure whether they are working any more as I knocked the Gabapentin down to one every other day 5 days ago and haven't noticed any difference. I am going to allow myself two more tablets and then I will stop them alltogether.

I am sure I am going to ache a lot when I get the latest socket on Thursday afternoon and on Friday (which is my birthday :D ) I will be giving it a proper test. I will post again after then with another update.

I haven't got anything to say, other than thanks for posting and keeping us up to date, the time this all takes, it would be easy for you not to. Just letting you know it's appreciated. You're a pioneer for something which, who knows, could be the norm in a few years time.

Cheers again... good luck with the socket... and Happy Birthday for Friday...

Hey Paul, thanks for keeping us up to date, I'm fascinated to read all about your pioneering, :blink: keep em coming xx

I have the problem of my stump getting so cold when I have my leg off, what I do a lot of the time, it take an older, soft ply sock and wear it even under a stump shrinker if I have too... it helps warm the stump... can you do something like that? Or even, I've been considering using some sheep skin lining and creating a sort of "sock" with it......to put under the shrinker..... With the winters around here, mine gets really cold at night when I have my leg off...

As for the Gabepentin, it never did work for me.... Are they having you take it because of cramps in the limb or because of phantom pain? When I started taking potassium for the cramping, it helped me a lot... seems like the phantom pains subsided some too when the cramping stopped.... maybe something like that would work... I never did have any luck with the Gabepentin at all, I finally just stopped taking it... But, that was me, and I hope anyone doesn't stop taking meds based on what I have said.. each situation is different...

I'm glad to hear that things are coming along, I was wondering about you the other day....

Thanks for the update........

Hello there, I have just re-read this entire thread. When last did you do that? You are doing SO incredibly well. I understand your frustration, as much time has passed, but shooo!!!!! Congratulations on your journey so far, and thank you so much for keeping us up to date on how you are doing.

Incredible. That's all I can say.

Ally

xxxx

Paul, I also look forward to your updates... when I consider what you're trying here, I'm just amazed! It's the people like you, who are willing to take risks, that help us all in the long run.

I hope everything continues to go well for you!

Thanks for your replies :D I thought people were loosing interest in the post. Thanks again as it makes posting worthwhile.

I was prescribed the Gabapentin and the Tramadol by the consultant surgeon who did the operation and as far as I know the Gabapentin is a nerve-blocker and the Tramadol deals with pain. When taken together the Gabapentin increases the effectiveness of the pain tablets and before the operation I took nothing at all. I was under the impression that the tablets were only there to get me through the time it took for the damage to repair and I would not be that happy if I ended up having to take the tablets for longer than the recovery period.

I am aware that wearing this socket is going to cause some more pain and am prepared for that but I think it will be only muscular and should be eased by anti-inflammatory tablets. Building up the muscle will be the main reason for bothering with the socket and after a week or so I expect to only have a spot of the usual back ache caused by posture.

I am quite looking forward to standing and walking without crutches once more and it will be quite wonderful to be able to carry something and walk instead of having to hop or use the wheelchair. I will have to remember not to push myself too hard though as some of the muscles will still be weak.

Guest bearlover

Ye don't push yourself to hard! I did that after my amputation and had a set bcak and became really ill for a good month or so..You sound like your doin well. Keep up the fight you will be walkin in no time at all! :)

It's good to hear from you, Paul. :)

If the socket is painful, surely there won't be any harm in you taking Tramadol for a week ot two until you get accustomed to the socket? :unsure: After all, it's better to be more mobile and in less pain, than less mobile and in more pain. :unsure:

As for your sock problem, can you (or Mrs Insane) sew some velcro to the top of your shrinker & an old wool sock? You could easily attach & detach them then.

PS Another birthday, eh? :)

Hi Paul,

I haven't posted on your thread but I have been reading and think of you and how you are doing frequently.

I think you are very brave (I bet you hate that word - sorry) for going through osseointegration - it is more than I would do at this stage in its development definitely. And I think that your account of your recovery from it is invaluable for the many people who will inevitably come after you.

You have a fantastic attitude to it and I love how you have gone right back to doing things as quickly as you can.

Do you have any idea/ have you been told how long it will take for the benefits to start showing? (or is that an as long as a piece of string question?)

So please don't stop posting!

Lots of good wishes and happy birthday for Fridays,

Fiona x

Hi Paul,

Please keep up with the postings, I always read them, even if I don't reply.

Regarding the cold stump, just a thought but it's probably because you now have a chunk of metal inside it, metal retains both cold and heat. I have worn a shrinker for 20 months now, 24/7. Not had a socket until recently. If my stump gets cold I just put woolen socks on top of the shrinker/juzo. No need to stitch them, I find my trousers keep them on. I even warm the socks up on a radiator before I put them on. Hope this helps.

Lynne