Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
insane

Osseointegration Part One

Regarding the cold stump, just a thought but it's probably because you now have a chunk of metal inside it, metal retains both cold and heat.

When I read that, I thought, blimey! I never even thought of that! It's obvious, it would make a difference... then I thought... hold on, my right arm has had a fair bit of metalwork in it for over twenty years, and I've never felt colder in that arm than anywhere else. I bet I do from now on though.... now you've put that thought in my mind... thanks a bunch! :P

Seriously though... it might have that effect if it's nearer the surface or particularly thick, my metalwork is mostly pins and screws with little mass.

Good one Lynne...

Thanks again for your replies to this post, I am very pleased that many people are reading this and as was mentioned before my posts will benefit others. Before I decided to go ahead with this there were many things I wanted to know and many more questions that only cropped up during the build up to the operation and afterwards. I am sure I will have more too but at the moment I know that if all goes to plan I will be walking with the Osseointegration system without sticks or crutches before the end of this year.

Ideally at least one person will directly benefit from these posts and if anyone wishes to email or PM me regarding what I am experiencing I will be more than happy to reply.

Tonight will be a no Gabapentin night and tomorrow night I will be taking my last. :D As planned, (and I think I could have managed it before now) I will not be a tablet junkie on Friday which will be my birthday and thank you for the birthday wishes so far.

On the cold stump issue I am currently wearing a pair of casting pants that I managed to get hold of for when I am out in the garage. If I wear them under my underpants and fold them over at the waist they don't slide down when I hop. I have found this far more comfortable than the sock with the stump shrinker method. I wash them in the bath at night, put them on the central heating radiator and they are ready for action again then next day. I never thought but I could probably get a week out of a pair of underpants with this method. :D

Thanks again for your replies and I know that my grammar could be better so please correct me if anyone finds I am or have been vauge anywhere.

Goodness, Paul! I wouldn't be seen dead in a pair of casting pants outside the casting room!!! :o They're awful things! :rolleyes:

Why don't you try a pair of 'long johns'? I think they do short leg versions (if not, you can easily sew the leg up) AND they'd be a lot warmer. :)

Lizzie :)

I am back again with another update.

I picked up my leg with a new socket yesterday and it felt quite reasonable. I have had it on this morning and washed two cars and it felt as though I could have worn it for much longer. I may put it on again later but I have been told to take it easy.

It was wonderful being able to leave the crutches in the house and walk down to the garage.

I am no longer taking any tablets but here is the sad news. :( I am another year older today.

So pleased for you matey. Well done, you've come through such a lot, you have my admiration xx

I am back again with another update.

I picked up my leg with a new socket yesterday and it felt quite reasonable. I have had it on this morning and washed two cars and it felt as though I could have worn it for much longer. I may put it on again later but I have been told to take it easy.

It was wonderful being able to leave the crutches in the house and walk down to the garage.

I am no longer taking any tablets but here is the sad news. :( I am another year older today.

Blindin'... there's no bad news there... age is a bonus... what do those kids know.... :ph34r:

Hi Paul is there any news? How's the car washing business?? :lol:

Hi Paul, I thought I was making good progress but.... I have been having problems with pain to the front of the bone near the end. I couldn't make my mind up whether it was muscle or bone that was hurting, so I have had a day off today.

When I got the leg I decided on the sock and waist belt method rather than the suction and I was wearing it with one thin sock. Now I am using two thick socks and was thinking of trying three!

I have a gel pad that was sent to me and I was thinking of using that to see if it would help.

As far as the cars go I have started the restoration work on a 23 year old car that was given to me three years ago. It won't be finished this year but at least I have made a start.

Hi Paul, nice to hear from you again. Every time you post you are doing more than the last time. Just a quick query, is the pain to the front of the bone due to the socket or the operation or both?

I am a little unhappy to say the least. The socket, although it doesn't feel that bad when it is on, is obviously not doing me any good. The pain I get is at night when I am trying to get to sleep so from now on the leg will only be worn for short periods. There is no point in getting the prosthetist to make another because it will be time for the second operation in May and it takes a few weeks for them to make a socket. The pain I get is from the same place as I mentioned earlier and I even tried a gel pad in the socket to try and releive the pressure in the area but it made things worse.

I will have to take things a little easier and maybe find some other way of exercising the muscles.

Paul,

I haven't had the surgery that you have, but I have had trouble with pain in place that you are mentioning. Is there a possibility that you could relieve a little pressure by sanding the inside of the socket a bit?

I had a fixator pin site from the re-attachment of my foot in the beginning, that bothered me something terrible at first. My CP would create a relief inside the socket in that spot. Over time, it toughened up, and things shrank and changed, but it is still an area that has to be dealt with at times.

As I said, I know that things are totally different, but I didnt' know if the suggestion might help or not..

Glad to hear that you are progressing as you are ...

Thanks for your reply Higgy, I don't think it would sand down enough to cure the problem but I will have a look at it tomorrow. It would be easier if I could get the small angle grinder I have in there. :D

Paul,

Just a thought..... could your foot not be adjusted correctly, i.e., when you are standing does it feel like your prosthetic heel is going up? Otherwise, my guess would be that your limb is shrinking fast because it is back in a socket and you have been so active??? I hope you find a temporary fix soon.

I have been reading about your journey from day one and will be cheering you on to the finish line!!!

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Thanks for your input Karen, you do have a point there. I didn't wear the socket yesterday and slept better last night. Maybe I am expecting too much from myself and maybe I should just wear the leg for short periods. I didn't expect to be wearing another socket at all after last November so really I suppose I have achieved great things so far. I am working underneath a car at the moment so I will see how I get on without the leg for the next few days and give it chance to recover.

I still have not had a tablet since February and still no cigarettes since last April. :D Even the amount of beers I have drunk since last November is only about 12 galsses so far. What is even better than that is I have managed to maintain the same weight even though I stopped smoking. These things are what I should concentrate on rather than the socket problems and I look forward to that finish line with the cheering from you Karen and everyone else who is helping me through.

Thanks for your input Karen, you do have a point there. I didn't wear the socket yesterday and slept better last night. Maybe I am expecting too much from myself and maybe I should just wear the leg for short periods. I didn't expect to be wearing another socket at all after last November so really I suppose I have achieved great things so far. I am working underneath a car at the moment so I will see how I get on without the leg for the next few days and give it chance to recover.

I still have not had a tablet since February and still no cigarettes since last April. :D Even the amount of beers I have drunk since last November is only about 12 galsses so far. What is even better than that is I have managed to maintain the same weight even though I stopped smoking. These things are what I should concentrate on rather than the socket problems and I look forward to that finish line with the cheering from you Karen and everyone else who is helping me through.

Fantastic attitude Paul... I can't imagine being as positive as you're being... you deserve for it all to be worth it in the end...

All good stuff, cheers for keeping us up to date...

Hi Paul, I thought I was making good progress but.... I have been having problems with pain to the front of the bone near the end. I couldn't make my mind up whether it was muscle or bone that was hurting, so I have had a day off today.

When I got the leg I decided on the sock and waist belt method rather than the suction and I was wearing it with one thin sock. Now I am using two thick socks and was thinking of trying three!

I have a gel pad that was sent to me and I was thinking of using that to see if it would help.

As far as the cars go I have started the restoration work on a 23 year old car that was given to me three years ago. It won't be finished this year but at least I have made a start.

You could have a muscle that is increasing in volume. I had that at one time.

Good luck with the restoration! What make is it?

You could have a muscle that is increasing in volume. I had that at one time.

Good luck with the restoration! What make is it?

I might be mistaken, but I remember seeing pictures somewhere, and if you look at his avatar there's a hint towards Nissan... (someone's gotta love 'em eh Paul :o )

Thanks for your comments Gil and Oneblue. Yes I do like the Nissans but only the ones that go fast. :D

It is a Silvia that I am restoring and I already drive one and so does my wife. Here is a pic of the one I drive and I hope to get the other one looking as good. DSC04525.JPG

I am back wearing the leg again too but this time with three thick socks. Having a few days off it didn't make any difference to the problem I was having when trying to get to sleep so I am back in full action again.

The pain is coming from a nerve I think as I am sure it is only when I am in a certain position that I feel the pain and I cannot find the point when sitting without the leg on. The top muscle still looks very wasted so with a bit of luck when it starts to come back the nerve will have more covering it and will cease to be a problem.

I am off to see my prosthetist at the end of the week to have the socket modified to reduce the amount of socks I need as hand-washing is not one of my favourite tasks.

Thanks again to all who are reading this post.

Guest bearlover

Thanks for sharing your jpurney with all of us...You are a amazingly strong person! Keep up the fight.

A week and one day to go before admission to hospital and the morning after I will be operated on again. Not a pleasant thought and I have been trying not to think about it. The only preparation I have made so far is to get a hair cut so I am going to have to start thinking about it soon.

They are going to re-structure the muscles again and fit the pin that exits through the skin. That bit is obviously a worry to me but the other bit is that I have to spend three weeks away from my home comforts.

I will have a period of rest and then it will be a long rehabilitation before I am walking again.

So far I have been very blessed and I have been able to wear my artificial leg and get many jobs out of the way. I only had 4 weeks down time and 8 without being able to use the leg.

I am told that the second operation will not hurt anything like as much so I am grateful for that. However I would appreciate it if you could all pray for me on the morning of May 9th as they will be taking me down about 8:30am (British Summer Time)

Thanks again to everyone for your support so far.