Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
insane

Osseointegration Part One

Good luck Paul, it's all progressing as it should by the sounds of it which is the main thing... thanks again for keeping us up to date.

I've been wondering how you've been doing, Paul... sounds like you must be okay, if they're going ahead with the next step! You'll be in my thoughts on the 9th.

I just spent some time reading this thread... It seems I missed alot of your journey while I was away!

You are a pioneer. Just know that you have all our thoughts and prayers!

You will be in my prayers, Paul. Good luck.

Good luck Paul, will be thinking of you, hope it all goes well.

Lynne

:D Well that is really good news and I hope it all works out for you. Please keep up posted on your progress.

Thanks Stinker. I went for the pre-operative assessment on Thursday and all was well. They took X-rays and I managed to sneak in and take a look. :D they were pleased with the fact that my bone had already started growing to the implant at the top were the bone widens and I have the go-ahead for the operation on Wednesday morning.

I am now staring to worry again and because I have a high amputation the rehabilitation may take a little longer. I will not be able to wear the leg at all now for at least six months but I am trying not to think of that.

I think I have got everything in order at home and the cars are fully serviced so after Monday I will be on my way down to London and they won't let me home for at least 3 weeks.

I will be back on the pain tablets again and I am told that this operation will hurt. It can't hurt as much as the last one though and it will be over with soon.

Paul,

I wish you well, and luck with your surgery on Wed.

Marilyn is right, you truely are a pioneer in this, and I really respect what you are doing. Also, the fact that you are sharing this side of your experiences with us. For most of us, we are told, "This is what we are going to do, and this is how long it will take you." But, you have really put it in to perspective for all of us.

I will have you in my thoughts and prayers on Wednesday. Best wishes for a pain free and fast recovery...

I am now staring to worry again and because I have a high amputation the rehabilitation may take a little longer. I will not be able to wear the leg at all now for at least six months but I am trying not to think of that.

I've just had a idea about that problem, Paul. I'll try & catch you online or drop you a line over the weekend. :)

Lizzie :)

Thanks Higgy and Lizzie. I wish I were there now serving my time as there is nothing worse than waiting for it to happen! I wonder if I will get any sleep the night before?

Good luck, Paul. I'll be thinking of you on the 9th.

Hi, Paul

You are truly an inspiration to me, and I'll continue to cheer you on. I'll have you in my thoughts and prayers on the 9th, and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Thanks Karen. Today will be my last day and night at home :( Tomorrow morning I will be picked up by a friend and I will be removed from all my home comforts and given hospital food to cheer me up :( I hope the time goes by quickly.

I am a bag of nerves now! On Wednesday morning I will be on the butcher's slab and having the femur of my residual limb in a 3 jaw clamp and the bone bored out to have a cylindrical titanium implant fitted. The operation will take about four hours and afterwards I will be stitched back up again. Once I have come round from the anaesthetic I will be put back on the hospital ward to recorver. I am very frightened but I will be back home about 5 or 6 days after the operation. I will then have 6 months before the second operation when a pin is fitted to the implant which will exit through the skin.

I have thought long and hard about this and if I wish to be able to continue use an artificial leg it seems to be the only option left for me as the skin around where the rim of the socket fits has taken a lot of abuse over the years and I am constantly plagued with abscesses as a result.

I have had many operations over the years to remove these abscesses and I have even removed the odd one myself. It will take me at least 12 months to get back to walking again and I am fed up with sitting already but I hope and pray that all goes well and provided there are no complications I should be 100 times better at the end of the 12 months.

I leave tomorrow morning and will have to travel 240 miles to the hospital in London. Fortunately I have been able to find accommodation for my wife so she will be there to support me. I hope to be able to update this post in the future and keep you informed of my progress but for the moment I wold be very grateful if the good people of this forum could join in a prayer or two for me as I need God's help to get me through this.

Thank you for reading this and thanks for the support I have had so far from members on this forum.

Hi,

Good luck with the op - you seem to be a very positive person so I am sure you will be fine. Just be patient if there is one thing I have learned over the years of being an amputee it's that you can't rush recovery - if you do you pay in the end.

Just a little note to say that I've heard from Paul.

He has asked me to tell you all that his op went well, that he's making excellent progress B) and that he is in much less pain than he expected to be. :D He also asked me to thank you all very much for your prayers and positive thoughts. :)

I think the drinks are on him, don't you? :rolleyes:

Lizzie :)

Lizzie, thanks for passing this info along!

Excellent news, Lizzie... thanks for letting us know!

Way to go, Paul!!!!

Good news. Thanks for letting us know, Sue

Hi, I am back and delighted to be home with the computer and all the other things I am used to having. A big thank you to everone for their kind thoughts words and prayers and although I am tired out from travelling and having not slept properly I am in good health.

the operation has been a complete success so far and apart from a little muscular discomfort I have no other pain whatsoever. I am going to have a wash and a siesta now but I thought I would just add a quick reply to this post before I go for a rest. Thanks again and thanks to Lizzie for updating the post in my abscence.