Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
insane

Osseointegration Part One

This thread is a well-deserved "best thread" nomination. It's the kind of info that makes this forum so compelling. When I first started reading posts here I was also captivated by Eddie103's story and postings. I guess it's the wealth of detail and personal viewpoint combined that makes it so fascinating, along with the fact that I can relate to some extent. Thanks again Paul. I'm hoping that some day they will come up with some kind of osseointegration or similar upgrade for us below knee amps.

I can't say enough about how wonderful this system is. No socket, no liners, no trying to get it on right many times, no swearing at it or throwing it across the room in frustration.

If you're going to rub it in, I'll take my nomination back <_< Really nice to hear from you. Sounds like you're almost there - it is awesome stuff you're doing. 3 hours shopping :blink: could'nt find a pub to take refuge in?

Thanks for the update, been following this with great anticipation :)

Would it be possible to have some pictures of the stump/implant, and also how it attaches to the socket?

I don't do that much drinking now but I am off to a barbeque in a few hours so I will be having a beer or two there. :D

I just remembered another thing, I bought a new pair of training shoes when I was shopping and I was able to put them on and take them off very easily. I remember having a lot of problems in the past trying shoes on but no more as long as I pick a pair where the heel height in relation to the sole height is the same as the ones the leg was set up for.

fascinating info, Paul.... Sounds like you're doing really well!

Back again with another update. It looks like I did too much last Friday :mellow: I was fine on Saturday but I was in more pain on Sunday. Fortunately I am back to where I was again now thank God. At least now I have an idea of how much I can do and how far I can push myself.

Thanks for your replies.

WOW... I've just joined this forum and have to compliment you on your progress! I've just read this entire thread and am amazed by your strength and courage to undertake such a scary (at least to me) endeavor. You are the first Osseointegration patient that I've read about and your posts have been fascinating. I admire your determination to acheive your goal throughout your long ordeal. I've always thought that this is the future of prothetics and that one day, as a previous poster has stated, this will be the 'norm'. I wish you continued success and hope that you continue to post your progress.

Good on you.

Have though about the procedure but am staying put!

Way to go Paul, what a fantastic journey you have been on. I am simply amazed at strength you have shown throughout this ordeal.

Hats off to you sir

Paul ;)

Sorry for not updating sooner OneBlue. I am doing extremely well and if it weren't for alignment problems I would be managing even better. I still have a small amount of pain first thing in the morning and after I have been sat for a couple of hours watching television. I only use one walking stick when I go for my two daily walks but for the rest of the time I don't bother with the stick. I don't use the stick when i go out either unless I am going to be doing quite a bit of walking. I think that by the time summer comes I will be free from pain altogether.

I am still doing the 210 sit-ups a day along with the other exercises as instructed by the physiotherapists and i have had no infection problems at all. I have had to miss my walks on a few occasions due to frost and ice. The only down side is that I seem to be wearing out my shoes quicker and I am more weary of the ice than I used to be. I am not walking as well as I want to yet but when I use one walking stick my walking is very good. I still seem to favour the non-affected side a little but I am working on that. Thanks for reminding me to update and I wish all of you who read this a very happy Christmas.

Thanks Paul, it's turned out to be a longer process than first thought hasn't it? I was thinking it'd take about a year to 18 months to be happy with it, but it'll take a while longer yet by the sounds of it?

Can you imagine ever having a socket again? I know you had a lot of issues with absesses etc. so presumably it's been all worth it?

Socket!! ewww! horrid things. I couldn't imagine life with a socket anymore. Although I am not at the end of my rehabilitation I am far more capable of things now than I have ever been. I can rely on the leg every day and I can even make plans knowing that the next day will be fine with the leg. I still remember the sockets, the sweat and the abscesses but fortunately now they are memories.

I would say that 2 years is probably normal for someone with an implant as high up the femur as me as there is more bone growth to make at the neck of the femur than someone with a longer residual limb.

Socket!! ewww! horrid things. I couldn't imagine life with a socket anymore. Although I am not at the end of my rehabilitation I am far more capable of things now than I have ever been. I can rely on the leg every day and I can even make plans knowing that the next day will be fine with the leg. I still remember the sockets, the sweat and the abscesses but fortunately now they are memories.

I would say that 2 years is probably normal for someone with an implant as high up the femur as me as there is more bone growth to make at the neck of the femur than someone with a longer residual limb.

Hi Paul

Did somethong wrong on the first reply.

I fully agree with you, I have said so for at least the last 8 years, I was operated the first time in Mars 1999.

I am so happy to hear that you are making this very good progress.

Very often I hear that infection is a problem with this type of an artificial leg fixed to your stump.

I have never had any infection the 9 years I have been using it

You can read more about this on my profile

Erik Ax

I had a fall on some black ice a few weeks ago. Fortunately I did not do any harm to the implant or the abutment. My muscles ached a little afterwards but it did not stop my progress. It has made me a little more aware of the ice and we had quite a long period of it. It stopped me doing the daily walks for a few days but now the ice has gone things have returned to normal. I am nearly there with my rehabilitation I think but I still need one walking stick when I do my walks. My walking without a stick has improved quite a bit and I am still aiming to be able to manage without a walking stick. Life is so much better now than it has been for many years and I am progressing so well that I am begining to wonder whether I still qualify for membership on this forum. Best wishes to all. :biggrin:

I had a fall on some black ice a few weeks ago. Fortunately I did not do any harm to the implant or the abutment. My muscles ached a little afterwards but it did not stop my progress. It has made me a little more aware of the ice and we had quite a long period of it. It stopped me doing the daily walks for a few days but now the ice has gone things have returned to normal. I am nearly there with my rehabilitation I think but I still need one walking stick when I do my walks. My walking without a stick has improved quite a bit and I am still aiming to be able to manage without a walking stick. Life is so much better now than it has been for many years and I am progressing so well that I am begining to wonder whether I still qualify for membership on this forum. Best wishes to all. :biggrin:

Hi Paul

Sorry to hear about the fall, glad it did no harm and that you are continuing to do so well.

Ann

It's like the Hotel California. You can check in but you can never leave.....

I do like that song :biggrin: Thanks Ann, Oneblue, Marcia and Kep. I won't stop the updates. :laugh:

"Out", Marcia, "Out".......

:laugh:

We all knew what you meant ... still very funny though! :biggrin: