Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
insane

Osseointegration Part One

Update time again :biggrin: Just got back from a holiday in Egypt. Walked round the pyramids, saw the Sphinx, went in many temples, saw the valley of the kings and went into some of the tombs. It was very hot and the leg was really good. I had no problems whatsoever and I managed without assistance throughout the holiday. I am now back to the cold damp weather but I have some great memories and the holiday was an experiment to see if I could do as much as everyone else. I achieved that and the only problem was that I was a little slower than the rest of the group on the tours but I wasn't that slow to cause a problem. The leg seemed better there than at home for some reason so I am looking forward to another holiday when ever that may be. I still have some pain but on a score of 1 to 10 it is about 1.5 when I first put the leg on in the morning and by the afternoon I would say it is less than 1. As I was not sure on the cleanliness of the water there I showered with a liner over the leg and after the shower I used an anti-bacterial soap and rinsed it off with bottled water. The sea wasn't that warm so I didn't attempt to do any swimming this time. The hotel pool was also very cold and I was advised against going in there. It was about 35 degrees C the day we left and I had the leg on all day until after midnight when we arrived home. I used to dread the heat but now it is no problem.

What a fabulous experience, Paul... both holiday- and leg-wise! Thanks for the update!

Cheers Paul, keep it coming... I did the Pyramids and the Sphinx for my honeymoon from Cyprus, great experience, the armed guards were a bit worrying but hey... can't have everything!

They had guys with machine guns at the check-points too and metal detectors everywhere. I wore short trousers to save me explaining why the metal detectors kept going off when I walked through them. :biggrin:

I am a bag of nerves now! On Wednesday morning I will be on the butcher's slab and having the femur of my residual limb in a 3 jaw clamp and the bone bored out to have a cylindrical titanium implant fitted. The operation will take about four hours and afterwards I will be stitched back up again. Once I have come round from the anaesthetic I will be put back on the hospital ward to recorver. I am very frightened but I will be back home about 5 or 6 days after the operation. I will then have 6 months before the second operation when a pin is fitted to the implant which will exit through the skin.

I have thought long and hard about this and if I wish to be able to continue use an artificial leg it seems to be the only option left for me as the skin around where the rim of the socket fits has taken a lot of abuse over the years and I am constantly plagued with abscesses as a result.

I have had many operations over the years to remove these abscesses and I have even removed the odd one myself. It will take me at least 12 months to get back to walking again and I am fed up with sitting already but I hope and pray that all goes well and provided there are no complications I should be 100 times better at the end of the 12 months.

I leave tomorrow morning and will have to travel 240 miles to the hospital in London. Fortunately I have been able to find accommodation for my wife so she will be there to support me. I hope to be able to update this post in the future and keep you informed of my progress but for the moment I wold be very grateful if the good people of this forum could join in a prayer or two for me as I need God's help to get me through this.

Thank you for reading this and thanks for the support I have had so far from members on this forum.

Paul,

Our prayers are with you. Keep busy and the time will go faster.

JudyH

Cheers Paul, keep it coming... I did the Pyramids and the Sphinx for my honeymoon from Cyprus, great experience, the armed guards were a bit worrying but hey... can't have everything!

We went on a coach from Port Siad and had outriders with machine guns all the way!

I've been following this thread but haven't been able to comment because I stand in absolute awe of your achievement Paul.

Thank you so much for taking us on this journey with you.

Blessings,

Ally

xxxx

Thanks for your replies Oneblue, Cherylm & Ally. Thanks too to JudyH but I didn't understand that one. I found at first when I got home and resumed my walks that things seemed a little more painful. Today it feels a lot better and I can only think it could be this miserable damp weather we have here. I have spoken to friends about it and they say they don't ache as much on holiday where the climate is hotter and the humidity is lower. I have heard people round here say that the dampness gets into your bones. Maybe there is some truth in it.

I am a bag of nerves now! On Wednesday morning I will be on the butcher's slab and having the femur of my residual limb in a 3 jaw clamp and the bone bored out to have a cylindrical titanium implant fitted. The operation will take about four hours and afterwards I will be stitched back up again. Once I have come round from the anaesthetic I will be put back on the hospital ward to recorver. I am very frightened but I will be back home about 5 or 6 days after the operation. I will then have 6 months before the second operation when a pin is fitted to the implant which will exit through the skin.

I have thought long and hard about this and if I wish to be able to continue use an artificial leg it seems to be the only option left for me as the skin around where the rim of the socket fits has taken a lot of abuse over the years and I am constantly plagued with abscesses as a result.

I have had many operations over the years to remove these abscesses and I have even removed the odd one myself. It will take me at least 12 months to get back to walking again and I am fed up with sitting already but I hope and pray that all goes well and provided there are no complications I should be 100 times better at the end of the 12 months.

I leave tomorrow morning and will have to travel 240 miles to the hospital in London. Fortunately I have been able to find accommodation for my wife so she will be there to support me. I hope to be able to update this post in the future and keep you informed of my progress but for the moment I wold be very grateful if the good people of this forum could join in a prayer or two for me as I need God's help to get me through this.

Thank you for reading this and thanks for the support I have had so far from members on this forum.

I wish you all the best,and I really hope to hear from you as soon as possible--that you are very well!

:tongue::biggrin:

Thank you Paul for sharing this with us. You are one of the reasons that I finally subscribed to this Forum. I had to post in here to tell you how much I value the ability to experience this procedure through your posts.

I must say that my current frustration with my relatively new socket really has me thinking about what it would take for me to undergo this procedure. IMO, the benefits outweigh the risks.

Apparently the US has either approved it, or in the process of approving it, as there is another post in here, from January ... I'll have to go find it again and post a link ... For a while I thought I was going to have to fly to Europe to get it done, but while I would welcome the trip, I imagine that that could double the costs.

Again, thanks for sharing.

I can only think it could be this miserable damp weather we have here...... I have heard people round here say that the dampness gets into your bones. Maybe there is some truth in it.

You must have had an awful summer then Paul :laugh:

Trust you are well?

Thanks for your post Marc_1_ If you decide to go for the osseointegration it would be better if you didn't have to travel too far. I had to make many 500 mile round trips during my rehabilitation. If it meant travelling to a different country for every appointment I probably wouldn't have been able to afford the travel costs. Please bear in mind that it is not an easy option and there is plenty of pain involved. Even now I don't think I am fully rehabilitated as I still have a lateral bend when I walk without any aids.

I still have discomfort when I start off first thing in the morning and if I have been sitting watching television for an hour or two I have the discomfort again when I get up. It gets easier after a few steps but I expected it to have gone after two years.

However, this system is wonderful and I have no regrets. Every day is a good day and every day I can wear the leg. I have achieved another goal too :biggrin: I can do the walk I do without using the walking stick (cane). I have been managing that for a few months now and I meant to tell you all before, I haven't been able to do the first walk without the walking stick yet but slowly I am getting there.

About the summer then Oneblue, it has been a bit bad with the weather but at the moment it is dry and sunny. I am certain all the damp weather we have had hasn't helped me but if it didn't rain like it does we wouldn't have such a beautiful country. My wife and I have had a few days out during this summer and my wife likes seeing castles, some of them have involved considerable walking and I have had no trouble getting around. We wouldn't have done anything like that before and I am finding more and more things I can do that I wouldn't have even considered before.

I will try not to leave it as long before my next update and thank you for all your input.

Excellent stuff Paul, cheers for that.

Many people wouldn't be able to do the work you've done to get to where you are, roll on the next two years!

By the way, I wasn't complaining about the 'summer', I wouldn't live anywhere else... though I am looking forward to going to France and Spain this year :biggrin:

Thanks for the update, Paul...I was wondering how you were doing just the other day!

Hi, Paul! It's been three years since your last post..... how are doing? Every time I hear or read something about osseointegration I think of you and hope you are doing well.

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Hi Karen, I am not doing as well as I would like and am not able to walk without the sticks at all at the moment. The pain has increased and nobody can tell me why! I haven't been right since I got hit by a car when I was crossing the road, but on the plus side it is very rare that I have a day when I can't wear the leg and I wear it all day every day. I am still walking every day and I am still able to get on with work on the cars and house. Dad is now in a nursing home, mum needs care now and I am coping with that which I wouldn't have managed before. I am trying to get back to only needing one stick but that seems to be taking months, I can manage around the house and garage with one stick so I can walk and carry things when needed. It is not what I had hoped for but I am sure it will improve in time. I am told my bone density is not as good as it should be and because i have a high amputation things will take longer to improve. Sorry I can not be more positive with my reply but I am still here, still walking and still able to enjoy life.

Paul.

Hit by a CAR? How serious was that one, Paul? I'm glad to hear that you're still up and around, but I was hoping that you were all "healed" and doing well. Well...it's still a rare procedure, and I suppose that it's tough to set any sort of timeline for full recovery. Hang in there...we'll be hoping for the best!

I have wondered about you too, Paul. Good to hear from you.

Hi Karen, I am not doing as well as I would like and am not able to walk without the sticks at all at the moment. The pain has increased and nobody can tell me why! I haven't been right since I got hit by a car when I was crossing the road, but on the plus side it is very rare that I have a day when I can't wear the leg and I wear it all day every day. I am still walking every day and I am still able to get on with work on the cars and house. Dad is now in a nursing home, mum needs care now and I am coping with that which I wouldn't have managed before. I am trying to get back to only needing one stick but that seems to be taking months, I can manage around the house and garage with one stick so I can walk and carry things when needed. It is not what I had hoped for but I am sure it will improve in time. I am told my bone density is not as good as it should be and because i have a high amputation things will take longer to improve. Sorry I can not be more positive with my reply but I am still here, still walking and still able to enjoy life.

Paul.

Hi ya Paul, you'll remember me from one of our inpatient stays at a certain place about three or four years ago. Sorry to hear about you being hit by a car and having some pain, must be frustrating but good you are still getting around ok and keeping working on your cars. Can't believe how quickly time flies by, I am ok, had problems with the socket fit, which has been a bit of a pain ,but nothing new there. Lovely to hear from you on here again.

Hi Paul,

Like the others have said, sorry to hear you got hit by a car. Glad you're still up and about and able to do things.

It's like all procedures, there will be good ones and bad ones and ones in between, it sounds like you don't have any regrets and that's what's important.

Good luck with getting rid of the sticks!

Thanks for your replies and well wishes Cherylm, mmarie, ann and oneblue, I will give you another update as soon as I have made more progress. Regards, Paul.

Paul, I'm so sorry that things have not been better for you and your family. :-( Although I did not expect that you would go skipping off into the sunset, I had hoped you would have been able to walk "stick free" by now. But your attitude is outstanding, and the fact that you are able to wear the prosthesis and accomplish all your daily tasks and more is great progress! Will keep you in my thoughts and send healing thoughts across the pond to you and yours!

xo Karen