Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Long Thread

"Transparent" conjures some interesting mental images indeed! However, I'd ideally like a set of FOUR, for the various seasons: ice-blue with a snowflake pattern for winter... lavender and pale green, with little pastel blossoms, for spring... bright blue with yellow sunflowers for summer... and autumn leaves for the fall.

If I had to settle on just ONE, I think I'd like a marbelized pattern made up of a wide variety of beiges, tans, peaches, ivories, and browns: that way, no matter WHAT color the skin on the other leg might be, it would match SOMETHING on the prosthesis!

I guess the one color that I wouldn't want it to be would be camo..... you wouldn't be able to see it if you took it off...

:P

Why close the barn door after thr mule ran away! :lol: :lol: :P

So the cows won't get out... :D :lol: :lol:

Next Question

Your are given an opportunity to have a prosthesis in any colour you want.

What do you choose? :)

Exactly what I have now - purple with big colourful flowers splattered all over it :P

European Caucasian, with a Southern California tan :D :D It wouldn't match the rest of me because I don't go to the beach and tan anymore - but since you are asking, why not? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(There was a time that I lived on that beach though - literally. :D :D )

If I could have a leg any color I wanted, it would be midnight blue with the sun, moon and stars painted on it.

I like the sound of that one. I just got casted for my first socket the other day, and my prosthetist said that I could colour it anyway that I wanted, to have fun as it will only last a few months at the most. I want to go look at fabric to see what looks good! (need a ride, still not driving) I do raise Labrador retrievers so maybe having Labbies on it could be fun, but probably not......some nice colored print, with either purple, paisley or a nice green print...not quite chartreuse.

:)

Susan

I like this one!!!

Socket_chrome_USA_3.jpg

Is it actually a "chrome" finish? Has anyone ever seen a "chromed" socket before?

Roz. :)

Guest bearlover

Looks nice Roz..

Howevver, Iam on of those peole who do not like the startes and looks. I try to avoid drawing attention to myself. I know when I had the piple before it is covered, it is a major distraction espacially with the childen I work with. I like my to look as real as possible. Since my real leg was a total mess of scares from a life time of operations..Iam enjoying a somewhat nicer looking leg! :)

I'm with Bear on this one. I don't wear tattoo's, or T shirts with sayings on them, or baseball caps extolling the virtues of some company.

I'm not afraid of attention - it's just what kind of attention I am drawing, and to what? I don't hide my leg, but I don't advertise it either. I don't let it become who I am. Natural color is just fine with me - and, my pylon is not showing, but the whole leg is enclosed.

Yes - I am a Conservative Republican - from way back.

BUT - having said that, I see absolutely nothing wrong with those that do like it. I think it looks neat. I'm only saying that it isn't me. Neither is a three piece suit - anymore. (Been there - done that.) Levi's and boots, (actually Rockports now with the leg), and short sleeve shirts with the tail hanging out. Now, I'm comfortable. (I don't like baseball caps - period, but I do wear them on occasion, like in the cold.)

When I was a kid I wanted something really bright....like a fluero green or pink or maybe a metallic blue :)

But they wouldn't do it for me back then :(

Now I think I'd keep mine the way it is, flesh coloured with a small Aussie flag on the ankle.

Next Question

Multiple part question :P

This something I have been thinking of for a while.

With the advent of Email, text messaging, and various other devices, have our communication skills dropped off?

Seems sometimes to me that the only time you hear from friends is when they send a funny picture or a joke.....of which I too am guilty :rolleyes:

When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone?

When I was a child we all had "pen friends". Did anyone else have such a "friend"? Does that still happen?

Guest bearlover
I'm with Bear on this one. I don't wear tattoo's, or T shirts with sayings on them, or baseball caps extolling the virtues of some company.

I'm not afraid of attention - it's just what kind of attention I am drawing, and to what? I don't hide my leg, but I don't advertise it either. I don't let it become who I am. Natural color is just fine with me - and, my pylon is not showing, but the whole leg is enclosed.

Yes - I am a Conservative Republican - from way back.

BUT - having said that, I see absolutely nothing wrong with those that do like it. I think it looks neat. I'm only saying that it isn't me. Neither is a three piece suit - anymore. (Been there - done that.) Levi's and boots, (actually Rockports now with the leg), and short sleeve shirts with the tail hanging out. Now, I'm comfortable. (I don't like baseball caps - period, but I do wear them on occasion, like in the cold.)

I agree JIm..I think they look cool! if that is what a person wants!! to each his own! Whatever makes ypu happy! Personally I like the "real" look!!

Me, I just finished about 40 Christmas cards with very short notes in a bunch of them..Hand written......

I don't do the pen pal thing anymore, unless it is an email,but that's because the people that I keep up with choose to use the email program on the computer....

We do type, rather long email at times. Just as private and personal....

I guess a lot of it comes from this "fast" world we live in now days....

In answer to your last part of your question... yes, as a child I had pen pals..... one of which is a cousin.... we spent many hours together but lived about an hours drive away from each other... When she went to Spain, during summer vacation, you guessed it, we wrote... many letters...... When she went off to college.. we wrote.... many letters again.... Now, she is married as well as I am, we still live better than an hours drive from each other, and you know what.... we write..... everyday almost.... this time, it's email.... It keeps us as close as can be, and they aren't jokes..... they are a "real" email.... even if it is sent through the cyber world........ does that count?

BTW..... I never saw your Aussie flag..................

Guest bearlover

I still do the snail mail thing..Especially if it is a thank you to some one who did something special for you. A email dose not always cut it..I have just sent out 50 hand written Christmas cards to be mailed. :)

Here it is :P

post-813-1165702689_thumb.jpg

Thank God for Christmas cards or all post offices would close down. :o

For me it's email all the way. It's all i use at work and at play(?) :lol:

Oi Cat, is that an M&S bra strap i see ? :lol: :rolleyes:

Oi Cat, is that an M&S bra strap i see ? :lol: :rolleyes:

M&S be damned......an underwear shop in Colorado Springs :D

I add a handwritten note to some of my Christmas cards as well. During the year I handful of letters, thank you notes etc but most of my communication is by e-mail.

Longest serving deathrow prisoner in the world - for allegedly stealing a car from a white man in Zambia. He is a diabetic. He gets half a bowl of mealie meal a day. He shares a 1 man cell with many other people. If anyone wants to do the snail mail thing....here you go.....he is one of the forgotten people on our planet, 26 years later....

Peter Cassam Kunda

Maximum Security Prison

Death Row

P O Box 80915

Kabwe

Zambia

:(

Ok it's 11.30 pm and i have had much red wine..........but the question really is......have we lost the art of communication?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(hic) :blink: :P :lol:

Thanks Ally for that this guy will be getting a letter from me....hopefully when I am sober though

I just wrote a long and chatty letter (via e-mail) to a friend before logging on here this morning. We write once or twice a week, just to make sure we stay in touch. I have a few other "cyber-pen-pals" as well and enjoy reading what they're up to. And yes, Cat, I had a pen-friend when I was a child.

More and more people do seem to "write" in this e-mail age, although you're correct that a fair percentage of those "letters" are forwards of jokes. Still, even the forwarded jokes serve a purpose insofar as they at least let us share something we find amusing with someone else who may share our sensibilities.

What I think MIGHT be suffering, thoush, is our use of language. Too much of this "modern" electronic communication is SO fast that it's more like a casual conversation than anything else: "Hi"... "Hi"... "What'ca doing?"... "Nothing much"........................ And the forwarded jokes may actually be starting to do away with the ability to TELL a joke properly. It's always been a "gift" to be able to do it well... but I've had too many people starting to relay a joke to me, getting tangled up in it, throwing up their hands, and just saying, "Oh, it's too confusing: I'll e-mail it to you!"... which, of course, robs the joke of its social interaction.

Thank heavens for you and Sparky!