Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Long Thread

Lynne,

Sue is perfectly correct,a Syme amputation is through the ankle joint so I have a whole leg minus a foot. No need to be sorry for the question as we are reasonably rare...well I am anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

There isn't enough room below my stump for any fancy ankle components, so no adjustments to the ankle are possible..I just grin and bare wearing heels, they kill my knee, but hey......you gotta do what you gotta do :lol:

I have even been known to "adjust" the foot using basic carpentry skills as well :P :lol: :lol:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.....don't tell my prothetist :huh::blink:

The actual "big dinner" happens on Christmas Eve. When I was a child, my dad worked in retail... which meant that he worked irregular hours on Christmas Eve, so Mom would fix something that "held well" until he would get home: beef stew and buttermilk biscuits with chocolate cake for dessert... or New England boiled dinner with crusty bread and molasses cookies... turkey and dumplings (if she'd saved and frozen the carcass from Thanksgiving) and lemon meringue pie... that sort of thing.

When Dad retired and I took over "hosting" Christmas Eve Dinner, the meals got more "formal," although I still varied the menu every year. The last holiday dinner I fixed when my folks were still with us was spicy tangerine beef with sugar-snap peas and sticky rice, shrimp potstickers, and almond and fortune cookies. This year's dinner is going to be braised pork tenderloin with dressing and applesauce, oven-roasted new potatoes, green beans, and chocolate iced brownies. I guess that our "tradition" is not to have one!

Cheryl,

What time did you say dinner was?

Judy

Higgy, you have just made me homesick.... :blink:

I'm sorry Sparky, but the other side of that is, I made myself homesick for a time in my life that will never be again.. There are only 4 of us left, which only 2 of us get together now, it will never be what it was when we were those young girls, barely looking over the table at all that was being placed on it.. Still we have the memories though, and I don't think you would give them up either..... :)

Merry Christmas........

Christmas eve dinner is traditionally Shrimp and Corn chowder with a good tossed salad.

Christmas day is usually at my sister's house. Deep-fried turkey, ham, dressing, mashed taters, sweet taters, green bean casserole, and the rest of the trimmings.

Hey Sparky we do have some incredibly hot Xmas days but never at the beach. That sand gets in the most unusual places at times :blink:

We have a traditional Lunch every year.

Turkey, chicken and ham with roast potatoes, peas , beans, cauliflower in cheese sauce, honey carrots, buckets of gravy and as many salads as you can think of followed by Xmas pudding and yummy things like ice cream :D

It's sometimes hard work baking on the day if the weather is hot but worth every second once everyone arrives and the day really begins. If it's going to be really hot we bake the night before.

After lunch we pack the leftovers into the fridge and sit and talk and laugh and slowly but surely get quite merry. Drunken table tennis is a Xmas favorite round here :lol:

About 6 pm we pull all the leftovers out of the fridge and whoever is still here can eat to their hearts content.

Next Question........was requested by a very nice lady :D

Which do you prefer, christmas cookies, or christmas candy?

On the dinner thing: I never had Christmas dinner as a kid, so never knew what to make when I married someone who did. He told me "Turkey or ham," so I went out and bought a turkey ham, glazed it and added the usual trimmings.

This year I will have Chinese food like all the others who don't celebrate Christmas. Now, ask me about potato latkes ...

As to the candy or cookie choice: do Christmas carrots count? :D As a diabetic I am careful regarding both. I think the cookies win, but in moderation I love BOTH!

Christmas celery with peanut butter just doesn't have the same ring, does it? :blink:

-m-

Definitely christmas cookies rather than candy.

Sue

Usually at Christmas, I end up making about 12-15 pounds of different varieties of fudge to be given as "requested" gifts.... as for me, I think my choice would probably be peanut brittle.....(after that much fudge making, I guess the reason is pretty obvious)

For those of you who are diabetics on the board, Splenda has a great brittle recipe on it's web site.. I made it last year and a cousin who also shares the peanut brittle choice, never even noticed that it wasn't made with real sugar.....

Guest bearlover

Cookies I like the cut outs with frosting! But I also love the marshmello choclate trees or snowmen..

THIS one I have a "tradition" for... and it's "BOTH!"

Seriously, I do a lot of baking for the holidays... this year it's going to be brownies and bar cookies, some years it's tea breads or muffins, a couple years back I went crazy for bundt cakes. No matter WHAT else I bake, though, I'll hear about it if I don't include Magic Cookie Bars -- otherwise known as the world's simplest cookie recipe. Or maybe it's a candy recipe?

I'm pretty sure you've had them, under one of the many names they go by. A neighbor taught the recipe to me when I was 11 or 12... her copy was called "Magic Cookie Bars," but you may know them as "Five-Layer Bars" (or "Seven-Layer Bars" if you make the "fancy" version). It's the one where you layer melted butter, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, walnuts, and coconut in a 9X13" pan, drizzle an entire can of sweetened condensed milk over the top, and bake until the whole thing comes together as a sort of candy-atop-a-cookie-crust combination. That silly recipe IS Christmas for a good number of my family and friends. One year -- ONE year! -- I didn't make it... you'd've thought I'd turned into Scrooge!

The thing I like most about Christmas sweets is kind of like Magic Cookie Bars: there's this entire category that manages to work candies into cookie recipes. Like VeryScared, I need to be careful with the sweets... if I can eat one "Treat" and get cookie and candy, both, I feel like I've put one over on the diabetes!

Christmas Eve tradition at our house is gumbo, ham and potato salad with lots of "treats". I always bake a bunch - fudge, cookies, fingers, pecan pie, red velvet cake - and I love 'em all.

Christmas dinner will be pork tenderloin, dressing, sweet potatoes, pea salad, mac & cheese (not the Kraft kind), spinach casserole, all the trimmings. Like Cat, we put away the leftovers, but by late afternoon we'll l have a house full again and we bring out the gumbo and ham from the night before, the leftovers from lunch and many cups of good "cheer" will be had. I am always exhausted the next day but lordy it's fun.

Usually at Christmas, I end up making about 12-15 pounds of different varieties of fudge to be given as "requested" gifts.... as for me, I think my choice would probably be peanut brittle.....(after that much fudge making, I guess the reason is pretty obvious)

For those of you who are diabetics on the board, Splenda has a great brittle recipe on it's web site.. I made it last year and a cousin who also shares the peanut brittle choice, never even noticed that it wasn't made with real sugar.....

Higgy, that sounds great, I will be sure to look that up on the Splenda web-site. AND I prefer Christmas cookies (cut-outs) iced with a good stout cup of coffee. :) :) Of course, I make raisin filled cookies (my brother) and sometimes acouple batches of fudge. I have had sooooo much fun this year getting ready for Christmas... :lol: :lol: ...was in the hospital the last two Thanksgivings & Christmas.

Next Question........was requested by a very nice lady :D

Which do you prefer, christmas cookies, or christmas candy?

I vote for cookies. My mom had a recipe for fruit cake cookies that is really good, I really don't like fruitcake because it is so heavy. But I love these cookies - the are mostly the fruit with just enough batter to hold them together. My mother-in-law had a recipe for amonia cookies. You have to get the amonia from the pharmacist - it is in a crystal form and it stinks like ***** while it is baking if you open the oven- but they are really good.

JudyH

Cookies or Candy? Who cares as long as it's chocolate!

I think I'll go to Marcia's house for Christmas. YUM YUM

Every Christmas, my wife makes a bunch of batches of Peanut Butter Balls, (Peanut Butter concoction rolled in about 3/4 to 1 inch balls, and covered with milk chocolate), and gives them out to neighbors and friends. These are by far my favorite.

I can fry an egg, but that is about the extent of my cooking ability, but I was smart (lucky) enough to marry an extemerly talented lady that does cook. :P :P .....wonderfully.

Next Question

If you were an animal what would you be?

(I told you some of these would be just silly) :lol: :lol:

An eagle, fly high and see everything. :P

I'm with you Neal.....pass the chocolate!!!!!! :P

I'll meet you at Marcia's :D

Next Question

Any Xmas funny stories?

I can fry an egg, but that is about the extent of my cooking ability, but I was smart (lucky) enough to marry an extemerly talented lady that does cook. :P :P .....wonderfully.

Yep, got to agree about the chocolate. The Christmas menus have been amazing, certainly given me some ideas for next year.

Jim, I'm that lucky as well.

If you were an animal what would you be?

(I told you some of these would be just silly) :lol: :lol:

A male Fox. My 47 year old son was looking at a picture of his mother from about the time that he was born, and exclaimed: "Mom, you were a fox!" (She still is.) So naturally, I would have to be one too. :lol:

I come from a family of frustrated artists... we all hold "day jobs," and we all try to find ways to express our creative sides "outside" of work. (All except my cousins who recently both quit their jobs, put their house up as a "vacation rental," piled everything they could into a motorhome, and took to the road as a traveling CraftsCouple, selling their wares on the festival circuit, that is!)

Anyway, one of those opportunities for "creative expression" is, of course, the Christmas season. Not only do we make a lot of our own presents and decorations... we've been known to make the TREE from scratch. One year, back when computers still ran with the old punch-cards, there was a sudden "fad" for making punch-card wreaths by stapling discarded cards to a cardboard ring. I decided that one could do better than that... and as I had a family friend who worked in data entry and had nearly unlimited access to old punch-cards, I set out to make a punch-card tree. I managed, too!

I stapled my folded punch cards to a heavy cardboard "wedge," which I rolled and stitched into a cone about three feet tall. The base was a large Mexican pot (red and green, of course) filled with concrete, into which I sank a large dowel topped with a wooden disk -- it looked like a demented cocktail table. The punch-card cone was spray-painted with various shades of green high-gloss until it was all bright and shiny, then it was fastened to the cocktail table and an assortment of colorful plastic ornaments was glued in place. It took WEEKS to assemble... all so I could hear my parents tell the gawking visitors that "Cheryl made the tree this year."

Needless to say, a tree made of paper cardstock does NOT have much of a lifespan... it was in shreds by the following March, despite our efforts to store it safely... but we had a punch-card tree that year!

My mom had better luck on the "durability" front: one year she sank an awful lot of her holiday decorations budget into a four-foot high, white wicker, Victorian-style cone, which she decorated in various ways and used as a tabletop Christmas tree for several years. The first year, it was adrift in a billowing sea of white angel hair, covered with tiny white lights and gold and white ornaments... it was spectacular, and VERY festive! But that led to having to find NEW things to do with it in the years that followed. And with each passing year, Mom got more desperate in her attempts to make the expense of that cone "pay off" at the holidays. She draped it in golden tassles... she wrapped it in various colors of tinsel garland... she dangled silver balls all over it and placed the old color-wheel light from the year we tried an aluminum tree under the cone so that it projected lacy multicolored patterns on the walls and ceiling.

Then came a year of hard times. Mom, Dad, and I all had lengthy hospitalizations that included major surgeries, Dad was off work for some time as a result of his, and as Christmastime approached, the holiday decorations budget was non-existent. Mom was determined, though... she went through her "stash" of craft supplies and discovered that she had an overabundance of pink nylon netting... almost enough to make sufficient nylon ruffle to wrap the cone in it. Mom started sewing. The ruffle didn't stand out enough on its own... more "pinkness" was needed... a friend whose husband worked construction donated a roll of pink fiberglass insulation to the cause. The ruffle came off... Mom wrapped the cone in pink fiberglass insulation and reapplied the ruffle on top of it... various bits of shiny stuff were pinned to the ruffle... and there it was: the ODDEST treelike thing anyone had ever seen!

It looked as though a pile of cotton candy had decided to join the cast of "The Nutcracker." The annual gawking visitors stared at it and said things like, "That sure is.... INTERESTING... there, Flo......." Mom held her head high: she'd made a tree out of bits and scraps... she'd given us one more year of handmade holiday cheer... and she must have figured that she'd gotten all she could from the cone, as it got sold in a garage-sale later that year. Shortly thereafter, I undertook my punch-card tree.

I know... it's more "funny-odd" than "joke-funny." But it made us smile at a time when things to smile about were in short supply. And it says a lot about the stubborn streak I inherited from Mom... a stubborn streak that's stood me in good stead for all my life.

I'd sure like to have my own "go" at the cone......................!

I'm setting a place for you. And I made regular chocolate fudge, bittersweet chocolate fudge, rocky road fudge and toffee. So ff you don't get your chocolate fix, it'll be your fault :P

Oh, and thanks to some really nice people, this year I'll also be serving up a little vegemite.

Oh, and thanks to some really nice people, this year I'll also be serving up a little vegemite.

:lol: :lol: :P