Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Long Thread

A few days ago I was at my CPO's office for an alignment adjustment. The tech who was working with me tried what he described as "something radical" with my foot and then asked me to walk across the room.

It didn't work. I lurched and staggered over to the opposite wall and leaned against it for dear life! I asked if I had to walk back, and the tech replied, "if you think you can, I'd like to get another look at what's happening." So I tried..............

Made it about three steps before I began to lose my balance and started struggling to stay upright. I let out a yelp (one of my high-pitched, operatic yelps), which startled the tech (who is also a BKA). HE lurched forward to try and catch me if necessary... the stool he was sitting on went shooting out from under him and we both yelped.

No-one actually fell.... I ended up doubled nearly in two, flailing my arms to keep my balance, and he wound up in a deep squat. We stared at each other and asked each other if we were all right.

"That could have taken out both of us!" I said with a nervous giggle.

"Maybe they would have put us in adjacent hospital rooms," he replied; "We could have yelled to each other then."

Funny and embarrassing all at once... I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed that no-one else saw it!

Last Friday I was babysitting my grandchildren. The two older ones were playing in another room and the 2 year old was eating in the high chair. I sat down on a bar stool by her while she ate and took my leg off. When she was ready to get out of the chair, you guessed it, I forgot my leg wasn't on....as I lost balance, I was yelling and trying to hang on to the high chair and, fortunately, I recovered. No one saw me but Katie and she had the strangest look on her face :D "what the hell is Nana doing"? I guess you had to be there ;) It was pretty funny.

It was when I was getting about in a wheelchair. One day I took a pair of trousers to be dry cleaned. Got into the cleaners, pulled up to the counter and placed the trousers on the counter and waited for some to come and serve me. I was deep in thought, thinking about the suicidal identical twin that killed their twin. I was bought back by a woman who appeared from nowhere and asked, "Do you want these cleaned or altered?" It took me a minute to get my thoughts back to the job in hand and I replied, "I've had the legs taken up and the trousers don't fit" she immediately looked at the inside of the trouser legs and said, "These haven't been altered" I pulled back from the counter and said, not those legs I mean these and waggled my stumps. Her face was a picture.

Last June, on the way to Minnesota to the ACA conference, I was driving and pulled into a gas station to fill the car up... Often times when I drive, I will release the lock on my socket to allow my limb to be more comfortable.

Pulling up at the gas station, I opened the door, set my prosthesis on the drive to step into when I stood up. I had noticed the face of the man putting gas in the car when I done that. He is staring with obvious curiosity when I started to stand up into my socket... Then, as I have noticed when someone is staring, he looked up at the person, and there I stood, wearing my t-shirt that says, "Just imagine how much harder I can kick gawkers!" The look on his face was priceless.... Me, I couldn't help but laugh, when he started putting two and two together....

I have a lot of fun when I wear that shirt. All too often, I have noticed in the summer time that people will stare, (which I really do understand and it doesn't bother me,)but it's always fun when they notice the shirt after starring at the leg...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tammie

:lol: :lol: :lol: .....You lot are priceless. I gotta get a tshirt like yours Tammie :D

As you are aware a couple of weeks ago we had a our golf day. Having never played golf before I was quite nervous about my "talent". Mel hadn't played since her accident, so we decided (rather than appear terrible)

we would go to a driving range and have a bit of a hit and maybe get a lesson or two.

Mel, Ruth and I walked into this place talking at a million miles an hour much to the disdain of the people already there (those guys are so serious :rolleyes: ).

We set ourselves up and started hitting. My first few balls were a combination of hook, slice and ground balls, but then I got a couple to go straight and my confidence began to lift.

Lining up my ball I imagined where I wanted to hit and and swung into it. The ball went straight up in the air, hit the roof above me and slammed back into the ground next to my foot. :blink:

All 3 of us collapsed into laughter. I couldn't stand up and had to find a bench to sit on till the giggles passed.

I don't think the others liked us very much at that point :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next Question

What do you want for Christmas?

Cat if you don't slow down I am going to step on that wiggling black tale of yours. :blink::blink::blink:

:blink: whoops!!!!!!!!!! I mean TAIL........ B)

Sorry Anne I don't understand "slowing down" :lol:

And get off my damn tale/tail :lol:

Does that avatar make my tail look big? :rolleyes:

Guest bearlover

A pain free day would be great!! :) But in reality I pretty much have all I could need. A wonderful kind loving husband. Who is my true soul mate! :)

More time to spend with people, more laughter, more freedom, less pain and less stress.

However I've been window shopping for myself.

post-2147-1164927265_thumb.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Where's that shop Saprky?

Selfishly and personally? A program that I can download my old casette tapes and records to the computer and then burn them to CD's. (I've already put my order in to the family. :rolleyes::blink: )

A new leg with a Silhouette foot....it's on order so I just may get my wish :)

Cat, that avatar is soooo you.

:D :D I just want to be home and have Christmas with my family.....you see last year I was in the hospital after I had my heart attacks. We had Christmas on New Years Eve. :)

Oh Cat, nope tail looks normal!!!!!! But I do love those avatars that you and Sparky find. :rolleyes::blink:

I know what I want PRE-Christmas... I'd dearly love some of Santa's elves to come clean my apartment top to bottom and do my decorating for me! However, I am getting what I want for Christmas: my sister and brother-in-law are coming down to spend the holiday with me!

Cat, I love that avatar.

For Christmas I would just like a quiet, healthy and peaceful time with nothing going wrong. Over the last few years we have had - in no particular order - xmas's with no oven (it broke down very, very early xmas morning), with no fridge (it broke down two days before xmas and no shop could deliver in time), xmas's with me recovering from surgery, xmas's with my husband ill and xmas's with my parents very, very ill and causing us great worry.

So this year I would like boring please.

This is my busiest time of year and the hardest so I just want it to be over.

Peace, love and joy to the world!

What I'd really like for Xmas is a new bike, but apparently there's this list of naughty and nice people and I don't know which one I am on :P

Seriously though my Xmas wish is that everyone here and the One's that I love are happy and healthy and get what they need more than they got what they want.

I know it's an old saying but can we please have a little "Peace on earth and goodwill to all man"? That'd be cool :D

Next Question

What's the last book you read? ( with a quick review please I'm looking for something to read :lol: )

Alexander McCall - Friends, Lovers, Chocolate (number 2 in the Sunday Philosophy Club Series).

I loved his no 1 Ladies detective agency series and the Sunday Philosophy club series is proving just as good.

Before that it was a technical book Ch'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul about alternative applications of TKD patterns.

Sue

How about the last book that someone might actually enjoy reading for pleasure? (My actual "last book read" was a study of Borderline Personality Disorder and the effects it can have on the children of a Borderline parent... you have to kind of have a vested interest in the subject to make it worthwhile.)

Sooo....

"In the Company of the Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. It was a "loan" from my boss, and I wasn't at ALL sure I'd care for it. However, it turns out to be the witty, engrosing story of a disfigured dwarf with a keen head for business; a blind/crippled seer/healer; and a down-on-her-luck courtesan trying to rebuild their lives in Renassance Venice. Lots of historical detail, several characters based on actual figures of the era, and very clever writing. (Although I did figure out one of the major "twists" too soon.... still thought it was worth the read). NOT one of those "historical romance" things by a LONG shot... and a very different literary trip for me!

"I Know This Much is True" by Wally Lamb. I don't know how to do a review. I really liked it although the subject matter is schizophrenia. Twins, one with it, one without. Disturbing, but a very good read.

Before that, I read "One Mississippi". It's about a teenager in, guess where, Mississippi, when the times they were a changing. Excellent.