Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Long Thread

'The Innocent Man' John Grisham. Hard to believe it's a work of non-fiction.

I am currently reading "Predator" by Patrica Cornwell. She has a series of books going about a character named Kay Scarpetta. Dr Scarpetta is a leading forensic doctor who works with/for the FBI as well. Or at least, she used to. Now she is working/teaching for the state of Florida.... It's pretty good... She has a cast of characters that follow her throughout her books.. First off being Pete Morino. He was a cop in her previous books but now works as a medical investigator for her. There is also her neice who is a computer genius and is incredibly wealthy for such a young age, due to her intelligence, computer programing that she has designed and her FBI training which she has used to open her own detective business. Anyway, as she goes bout her life trying to solve the murders, deaths etc, it is usually a can't put'em down book. I don't often get a lot of time to just set and read but when I do, I like books that I know are going to keep my attention, not one of those books that you could pick back up 6 months later and only read a page or two before putting it back down.. Done that with the book Jar Head..

I also like ready Iris Johansen books... she is a good mystery/who do it writer too.....

For fun, a good goof ball bunch of books to get into is any book written by Janet Evanovice.. She writes as about a wacky female bounty hunter named Stephanie Plum, who, for the life of her, can't seem to keep a vehicle that she owns or drives from being blown up, or fire bombed.... The books that she writes are usually "laugh out loud" books that are just fun to read and will keep you laughing... Needless to say,the cast of characters that follow her in her books are a riot.. From a spandex wearing ex-hooker, (who is slightly heafty) to her grandmother who totes a 44 that is almost as big as she is... It's always a good laugh. But be warned, if you are recovering from any kind of surgery which requires you not to laugh, don't read them.. they will make you hurt!

As for playing catch up again,,,, for Christmas, the only thing I wish for is for my husband to be healthy and my son to be happy..... those would be my ideal christmas gifts.....

Tammie

I'm almost finished with "Primal Fear" by William Diehl. It isn't a new book, just new for me. The author just died this past week. There was a movie made of this book back in the 90's starring Gere and Edward Norton.

It is about a young man accused of killing an archbishop. The young man is schizophrenic, but has a super lawyer. I don't know the outcome yet. It's been a very good read.

Getting Started With Microsoft Front Page 2000

How to build web sites

My favorite author is Robert Ludlum, but I have three of his books waiting to be read. I haven't taken the time to just stop and entertain myself for awhile. Life is always a learning experience for me. My books are usually "How to".

I am just about to finish "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh. It's a great book and really gives a person some things to consider concerning common threads between Buddhism and Christianity. I have "Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers" (same author) waiting when I finish this one.

For trivia's sake- Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk. Martin Luther King, Jr nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize. In the nomination, King said, "Thich Nhat Hanh is a holy man, for he is humble and devout. He is a scholar of immense intellectual capacity. His ideas for peace, if applied, would build a monument to ecumenism, to world brotherhood, to humanity."

Pretty powerful stuff...

I just finished reading ALEX ZANARDI '" My Sweetest Victory" .....a great book. As you know he is a two-time CART "racing" Champion.

The book is about all he went through after loosing both legs after a horrific accident during the 2001 Cart race in Lausitz, Germany. :)

I have just finished Stephen Kings latest offering called "Liseys Story"

Have to say my favorite author is back on track, simply the best thing he has written is ages.

Lots of scary bits and real edge of your seat stuff. I couldn't put it down, which is something I haven't been able to say for his last couple of books.

Next Question

Two part question today.

When you were young what did you dream of doing when you were older?

Did you acheive that?

I did have a couple of dreams when I was younger, unfortunately I was unable to realise them. Getting through the day became a replacement and now, I'm with Jim.

One of my earliest ambitions was to be an archeologist... I used to do "digs" in the backyard that drove my parents crazy and yielded little more than bits of broken pottery and the occasional piece of pocket change.

Life intervened and I wound up an executive secretary. Eventually I found myself working for a psychologist who headed a remedial education program... she was big on getting her staff to empathise with the students we served. One of the diagnostic tests we used on the students (to determine the strengths and weaknesses of their individual learning styles) offered a similar assessment of career aptitude, so she arranged for the staff to take it.

When my results came back, with a list of suggested "career matches" for me, "secretary" was on the list (as were airline pilot, sculptor, printer, and dentist). But at the very top? "Archeologist." Wierd, huh?

Mostly, myself.....

Coming from a rural farm family, (and a broken one at that) there wasn't a whole lot of money..Enough, but that was really it.. I used to admire my aunt who at the time was a surgical nurse and wanted to be like her to some extent.. I never became a nurse, at the time, my father couldn't of afforded sending me to nursing school, and then I married my first husband at 18,but I did become a certified nurses aid...Since that time, I have used my training working with end of life patients..mostly family members.

Sometimes, you can't help but wonder what God, or what ever powers that be that you believe in, have in store for you.. Here I was, very familiar with the medical field, trained in using most of the things that I have had to use since my accident..Was God preparing me in advance for the accident that I was to have? Who knows... The weirdest thing in all of this is, that I grew up showing horses.. and at times, I would wonder (even as a child) if something were to happen to me,that would change how I rode, would I still try to ride... You bet your bottom dollar I would.. and have......

Either way.... in answer to Cat's question..... I am satisfied with where I went with my life.. I never became the full fledged nurse that I thought of, but I am a nurses aid, who had/has hands on with her patients.. The exclusivity of working with elderly patients was my choice and I wouldn't change anything that I have done...My next plan is to take the hospice training for end of life patients and their families...

Weird, I know..............but, for those who deal with it, like Skully, then no explanation is necessary for them to understand...

Drink-Sobe Adrenaline

last thing I read- Quick throttle-my story is in there

For Christmas-My life, my leg (but since that has all changed and will never be the same) For God to turn my nightmare into his glory! (and since the anger is getting less it must be slowly evolving)

My dream-to be a nurse or really a doctor

I am an RN and I was in pre-med when my brother was hurt and took a leave and have not gone back. By the time I could I was to old for medical school in US you have to be around 36-38 or younger if I remember.

I am an RN and I have loved it from prison nursing to jails, to hospice, to ER, Trauma, management and I am looking at a new line.

Tattoo artist trainee

Love all our our diversity!

Skully Cat

More time to spend with people, more laughter, more freedom, less pain and less stress.

However I've been window shopping for myself.

post-2147-1164927265_thumb.jpg

Did you see the movie Kinky Boots? That reminded me of it. It is a true story of a shoe factory.

Skully Cat

More time to spend with people, more laughter, more freedom, less pain and less stress.

However I've been window shopping for myself.

post-2147-1164927265_thumb.jpg

Did you see the movie Kinky Boots? That reminded me of it. It is a true story of a shoe factory.

Skully Cat

I can't add but I meant the picture.

I wanted desperately to be a nurse.

I'm kind of glad it didn't happen as everything else may have changed and who knows were I'd be today.

Now that I am working in the health field I'm very content.

Next Question

It's Monday morning here..........what did you do on your weekend?

It"s only 2 in the afternoon here in the middle of the U.S. and I'm working on setting up some web sites for my wife's genealogy and one for my daughter's tax business, as well as updating my army and my business ones.

Yesterday was spent shoveling snow. A one legged old man with a heart condition. Wheeee that was fun. (Sarcastic emphasis on the word fun

On Saturday, after getting back home from work, I helped Jon shovel mounds and mounds and mounds of snow... and then, we shoveled more snow......It's really funny to realize that a little ole hick river town that I work in, Havana Illinois, made the national weather channel..... Record snow fall... we had 15 inches in just about 3 hours...... Talk about it coming down.....

Then, today, I get the honors of fussing with my computer all afternoon trying to get my flat bed scanner working properly......... :rolleyes::blink::angry:

Think I trash it! Or shoot it.....

:blink::huh:

Technology.....ughhhhhh

Over the weekend, I became the majority stockholder in several multinational corporations, found the cure for a rare tropical disease, climbed Denali, was married and divorced twice.

I also got my hair cut.

:P

-m-

Guest bearlover

:) :) My 3 sisters visited tus for the weekend! So us 4 sisters were together. Well we cackled and yacked and had a blast!! Went shopping, did lunch, talked, cried and just had a great time..BUT they had to leave to go home. We live out of town from my family so they all spent the weekend. My poor husband had a weekend full of 4 very gabby woman. :lol: But was gret! He drove us around carried our packages, dropped us off and picked us up! :P I can't wait to see them again on Christmas Eve. But this time my husband and I will be doing the 6 hour drieve!!

Next Question

It's Monday morning here..........what did you do on your weekend?

It is Sunday evening here and I have spent the weekend trying, (unsuccessfully, I might add)to try and upload the logo and pictures to the web site I am trying to set up thru GoDaddy. It is not their fault - it is mine. I have the name of a person to talk to tomorrow. Our brochures are ready to go to the printer, as well as all the other stuff you need printed for a business. I did an in service at 3 hospitals and they immediately ordered it for their rehab dept. I sure hope it takes off like gangbusters my health insurance ran out Thursday.

I wish I had found your thread earlier Cat. Looks like fun

Judy

Friday night husband and I went out to dinner at a nice restaurant. Saturday I cleaned a little, did some laundry and husband made sauteed shrimp for dinner (hear you gagging, Cat). Today, Mass and a Christmas tea this afternoon with my mom-in-law (who I adore), my daughter and grandchildren.

Early Sunday evening, here. Let's see... Friday night I had dinner with a friend and we did some scrapbooking. Saturday, I managed to get the Christmas decorations hauled out, pulled out the items I'm going to use this year, got part of the decorations set up, and sorted through the presents I've bought so far and determined what I still need to buy. Today, baked a pie, started planning Christmas dinner, read the Sunday papers, and still more decorating. I'm expecting a phone call from my sister later on, so that'll take up a chunk of the evening!

I also got a chance to see how much progress I've made in the past two years. Christmas of 2004, I was just home from the hospital from another round of foot surgery. I was still in a moon boot and spending my time in a wheelchair or on a walker. I also used the same "holiday color scheme" (and therefore a lot of the same decorations) as I am this year.

Two years ago, I was in major pain, unable to stand for more than a couple of minutes at a time, and very unsteady on my still-healing foot (which I've since come to realize didn't really ever feel "right" after those surgeries, even if the xrays DID look good). It took me forever to simply hang a wreath on my door and put up some tinsel garland, and I was throbbing with pain, exhausted, and near tears by the time I was done.

What a difference this year! Walking around without pain, enjoying getting ready for the holidays, chatting with neighbors as they passed..... I have my life back, and it feels GRAND!