Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Long Thread

Well, let's see...How about being alive?

How about finding out about REAL friends?

How about getting really close to my family, and they to me?

How about finding this (and other forums) and getting to know some great people?

How about answering a 5 year olds questions and making another new friend?

For me, what's done is done. You can't go back. If I could I'd opt for losing both legs to prevent injury to my wife

I honestly mean it when I say that, if I could have my leg back -- but have to give up all I've learned and the connections I've made as a result of becoming an amputee -- I'm not at all sure I'd take the deal.

This is the same thing with age Cherylm. If I had a choice of the body and the mind that I had at 21, or the body and the mind I have today at 70 - I would take the body and mind today. Without question.

I have been fortunate enough to find a person who is the light of my life......he encourages......he gives advise.....he supports my decisions.....and is always there for me......thanks to my sweet baby.... I am happy as I am and can face anything forthcoming.

That's a tough one. I think the best answer I can give is that I have a very happy life with a husband that loves me, three wonderful children, a loving (wider) family, friends, a job I enjoy and I am able to do most things that I want to. If my life had been different (ie no congenital deformity) who knows how it would have turned out - I certainly would have made different choices along the way. I know an awful lot of people who have two legs but are far less happy in their lives than me so to the extent that my 'disability' shaped my choices I guess it is responsible for how my life has turned out.

Sue

These posts remind me of something I heard a few years back, about how priceless the lessons learned from adversity can be, and how they can't be derived from a straightforward, easy, "normal" life:

Surviving adversity teaches you to count your blessings, rather than expecting them.

I also remember hearing something from history, about how a poor man who was barely able to feed his family was invited into a royal palace whilst a normal evening's entertainment was going on, and he was at a loss to understand the "bourgeois distress" caused by a badly-written play!

I'm not rubbishing aesthetics, but it's relative, after Einstein: the universe can look very different depending upon where you look at it from!

I think my adversities have definitely improved my perspective, and I view my amputation simply as part of a continuing process of learning about life, the universe, and everything!

Roz. :)

These posts remind me of something I heard a few years back, about how priceless the lessons learned from adversity can be, and how they can't be derived from a straightforward, easy, "normal" life:

Surviving adversity teaches you to count your blessings, rather than expecting them.

I also remember hearing something from history, about how a poor man who was barely able to feed his family was invited into a royal palace whilst a normal evening's entertainment was going on, and he was at a loss to understand the "bourgeois distress" caused by a badly-written play!

I'm not rubbishing aesthetics, but it's relative, after Einstein: the universe can look very different depending upon where you look at it from!

I think my adversities have definitely improved my perspective, and I view my amputation simply as part of a continuing process of learning about life, the universe, and everything!

Roz. :)

Roz, you have set me thinking (BTW nice to see you back). If I had my legs amputated at the time of my accident (41yrs ago) would I be a different person now.

... although Sparky's was wonderfully warped in sooo many ways!

Cherylm, I don't know what you mean ;)

Guest bearlover

Neal Diamond! Was a awesome concert..He can sure give a concert for a older man!! He still Rocks!! :) :lol:

Thanks everyone for being so honest. It's an awfully hard question, but it is important that we see good things sometimes. :)

What are the best things for me? My determination to succeed. I can get a tattoo and then change my mind and rub it off and get a new one if I want. My nail polish lasts twice as long :) I always have something to drink out of :lol: :lol: Did I mention my determination to succeed? :wacko:

Last, but certainly not least, the opportunity to share in a community of people who constantly amaze and inspire me. People who have been there, done that, survived, moved on.

You lot are awesome :D

Next Question

(back to silly for a day :P )

Have you finished your Xmas shopping?

Well, I'm getting a rather late start in the day, but I really wanted to put my two cents in before the next question....

If I were to go back, pre accident, and have my leg back, but it meant losing all the friends I have gained since then, there's no way that I would.

I used to ride a horse, better than I could walk, drive anything on the farm, and do just about anything I put my mind to. Those things have changed in many ways since that accident...even if they aren't completely related to the amputation itself. The accident changed my world...my life.....I don't do them the same, but I still do them. The hospice portion is still done and doesn't need me standing on two legs to help someone adjust to letting a family member go peacefully..

However... before hand, I was basically a fairly shy person...I have since came out of that shell... But foremost..... I wouldn't change having met the people I have met. I have said before that if it meant not having ever met these people, there is no way that I would go back. I have met people with more heart, kindness, soul, spirit and willingness to keep going, than I have ever met in my life... They have more compassion and forgiveness than many able bodied people do..There is no way on God's green earth that I would give any of that up....

We may not all do things like we used to, but we are "differently abled" now and we always seem to manage in the end.....

Next Question

(back to silly for a day :P )

Have you finished your Xmas shopping?

Haven't even started yet :blink::blink::huh: cause I hate shopping...............

Does making about 9 pounds of fudge today count? Chocolate, peanut butter, and butterscotch.....

Hubby is having a ball being taste tester..... :P :wacko:

However... before hand, I was basically a fairly shy person...I have since came out of that shell... But foremost..... I wouldn't change having met the people I have met. I have said before that if it meant not having ever met these people, there is no way that I would go back. I have met people with more heart, kindness, soul, spirit and willingness to keep going, than I have ever met in my life... They have more compassion and forgiveness than many able bodied people do..There is no way on God's green earth that I would give any of that up....

We may not all do things like we used to, but we are "differently abled" now and we always seem to manage in the end.....

Wow Higgy, that about sums it up for me as well.

Xmas Shopping, far too early to start, my wife will have changed her mind a dozen times between now and Xmas. I don't want to be sharing my Xmas dinner with the dogs again. Every year I ask her, what do you want for Christmas and every year she says surprise me, every year I get it wrong.

If anyone wants an unused pole dancing kit let me know. :D

Forgot to mention that pole can easily be adapted to drive a car

Guest bearlover

Iam about 90% done! But I agree they start with Christmas way to early..Here in the US they put Christmas things out before halloween and Thanksgiving :o I try to block it out. At least until after Thanksgiving!

I am mostly done...Yippee! I've been out a couple of times but I'm a huge internet shopper. It's the wrapping I hate the most <_<

Since my amputation....many people have helped me through the rough times and to accept my inconvience....but one person stands out among others......I have been fortunate enough to meet and grow to love the light of my life.....he is understanding....accepts my limitations.....gives words of encouragement....offers advise...... and stands beside me......what lady could ask for more......I am determined on my own to accomplish anything I want....but someone being supportive and understanding makes all the difference in the world.....I truly appreciate my sweet baby

Guest bearlover
Since my amputation....many people have helped me through the rough times and to accept my inconvience....but one person stands out among others......I have been fortunate enough to meet and grow to love the light of my life.....he is understanding....accepts my limitations.....gives words of encouragement....offers advise...... and stands beside me......what lady could ask for more......I am determined on my own to accomplish anything I want....but someone being supportive and understanding makes all the difference in the world.....I truly appreciate my sweet baby

I quess we are both blessed! Sounds a lot like my wonderful Guy!! :)

Christmas shopping? Already? No, seriously, I'm pretty close to being finished. Still have a couple of gift-exchange trinkets to find, and some stocking stuffers, but most of the presents are bought.

What I DON'T have finished is my holiday baking, my decorating, or my cards! Oh well.... it's only the 6th... right....?

Well I've started :D

For some reason this year I am all behind and still have a lot to do, it doesn't help that time is running out fast and work has just gone crazy so I only have limited time.

Sue

How about gift cards Sparky? :) That way, you wouldn't have to return a gift... But, the lesson in all of it is that you still keep trying......only goes to show you love her.....

I also agree with Marcia..... I would do all of my shopping on the internet if I could... the reason being, I don't mind being curtious, but, I end up getting all angry and ticked off at people when you are trying to complete your shopping and they are either, running you over with a shopping cart, bumping you and knocking you over, or just plain being rude...

One woman bumped into me so hard she nearly knocked me down... and there were only TWO people in the isle of that store... I can have a truely rotten temper and mouth to go with it, so I just try to be nice, and if I can get what I'm after online, I'll do it....

Whats the best concert I have ever been to??????

Gotta be the Eagles.....had a great time......but been several years ago.....I understand they are presently no longer on tour.......but, if they ever are out again.......would pay out the wa-zoo and travel....to see their performance again.

:P Best concert I went to was the STATLERS....yep, I'm a country gal. :P

Not done, but almost. I hope anyway.

Neal, mine is almost done too....and Higgy I did alot of mine online....hate those crowds.... :( ....they are the pits.