Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
raven

Stitches out

Hi everyone just thought i would keep you informed of my progress it is three weeks now since the opp i had my stitches out last friday the 24 th november and wound is healing well i recieved my juzo yesterday and it is starting to shape stump already .

I now go to walking class twice a week using the pamaid and walk all over the hospital using my crutches and on monday it is my first visit to the limb centre since the opp but dont know if stump is ready for casting.

The only problem at the moment is pins and needles and a sharp pain that seems to go from my foot to my thigh i also had a freezing feeling in my missing foot but that seems to have calmed down now so hoping the other pains do the same well i will keep you informed and thanks for all the support i have recieved.

Raven

That all sounds very familiar to me. I didn't use the pamaid though. You will continue to feel the missing foot. Sometimes it is just a casual itch or feeling, but other times you will receive the jolts. That is pain that starts in the missing foot and shoots right up the missing leg. It will get you attention.

Hang in there. It sounds like you're coming along nicely.

Hi raven - thanks for the update - you really sound like you are doing well. Those phantom feelings sound familiar to me too. It is very early days, they may well calm down over the next couple of weeks.

Keep on keeping on, it's up and up from here,

Ally

:)

Picture the nerves leading from the foot to the brain as "telephone" lines. Even though they are cut, the lines still continue on to the brain. Every now and then, something causes a "signal" in that line and it goes to the brain which say's to itself, "Self, that is the foot calling - or the heel - or the big toe - or the little toe.

Whichever, the brain doesn't know that the line has been cut, only that a signal is coming from the line to that area.

It has been 18 years now, and I still occasionaly will get a "signal" from a certain area. Maybe a message of cold, or an itch, or a light pain. Whatever the particular message is. (Right this second, while I am typing this, I "feel" a pulsating sensation on the outside of my "ankle", just in back of the ankle bone. No problem, except that I know that there is no ankle there. BUT, I feel it. just the same ;)

THEN, sometimes a quick shooting pain, as if someone put an electrical charge to a certain spot. When I have a fever, sometimes these come on one right after another like a machine gun. These are the infamous "Phantom pains". We'll be in the den watching TV, and all of a sudden, I will jump, and shake my stump, which will make my wife jump, and then after a few seconds, they will go away - to come again another day. - or moment or hour. Whatever, we just never know.

No problem. They are just one of the idiosyncrasies of the darn thing, that all of amputees live with to some degree. It comes and then goes, and we move on.

December 29th will be 3 years for me and I STILL feel my missing foot. Very strange. Sometimes I have pain like hot pokers being jabbed in my toe and/or ankle and sometimes I feel like my foot is asleep, but mostly I have the feeling that my limb is still there. I just can't wiggle my toes. :P

Its nearly ten months now since i had my op BLK, and its been a slow process but as a lot of people on here can testify ! you cant rush things. It was three months before i went for my casting done, due to the sluffing on my stump. Once i got that sorted out? i thought that was it and i would be walking soon!! no, i had a problem with the nerve in my leg, it was catching my Fibula and causing me a lot of pain and i was unable to walk. Back to see the Prosthesist twice, and they altered my sleeve and once again i thought thats it? i'll be walking soon. This time my stump was rubbing due to the sleeve being too big! this causing the skin to rub off in several places and several blisters appeared as well. Back to see the Doctor and the Prosthetist and now i am wearing a Gell Sock, but it seems to be working and i have started walking short distances with a walking stick.

I asked one of the nurses how long it would be before everything is fine? she said " It takes as long has it takes".

All the best