Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Pat.UK.

Where R All the old member's?.

Happy Holidays everyone. I have assumed since joining this site that members come and go for various reasons. Life, family, health, computers on the glitch, etc... I have enjoyed being a part of this site and envision myself always being a member, even if I don't post on a regular basis.

During the past months I have moved 3 times, gotten 2 jobs, and found out that I was going to be a grandma. Life changes became what I focused on, which I think is normal. Also, like others, I felt that I didn't have much to contribute but continued to keep track of what was happening a lot of the time.

I think that I missed though, a lot of the issues that happened here. I'm just glad that the site continues and that new amputees have a place to go. Part of what makes this site work are the differing opinions that converge. But a lot of times when sending e-mails, things are misunderstood. There have been a number of times when I have posted something that made me laugh and once sent, people did not see it the same way.

I hope everyone has a great holiday season. Take care.

Caroln

Remeber Stumped?? He is another fine person who doe not post any more :(

Wow, talk about coincidences..... I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering what had ever happened to you. We didn't get a whole lot of time to talk, especially at the peer visitor training, but, then again, there is never enough time sometimes. I think that everyone has something to contribute at some point..even if it is just a bit of advice to a new amputee.... Keep in touch with us .................

Higgy

Wow, talk about coincidences..... I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering what had ever happened to you. We didn't get a whole lot of time to talk, especially at the peer visitor training, but, then again, there is never enough time sometimes. I think that everyone has something to contribute at some point..even if it is just a bit of advice to a new amputee.... Keep in touch with us .................

Higgy

Hi Higgy! One thing that I've noticed since being away is that I seem to be more frustrated with things dealing with the amputation. I think that is because when I vent and talk to people on this site and others, the people understand what I'm going through. Talking to people close to me isn't the same because they don't understand what it's like.

Carol

I think that I would have to tend to agree with you.... no matter how much someone loves you, unless they are in the same boat, then they really don't understand...

My husband also is an amputee,, of sorts... as he says..... he has a part of his foot amputated... He understands the phantom pains... plenty well... but not the frustrations that go with being a bk. He knows it's more difficult, and movement wise, like rising from a kneeling postion, but he just doesn't understand some of the other stuff....

For me, my biggest frustrations come when trying to shop, etc.. I can't always move the way people want met to, and I know that they don't know I'm an amputee, but I still get frustrated at them..... Let's just say, I'm glad that Christmas shopping is over! (then again, it was never a favorite thing of mine anyway).

That's why we are here,, to help and support each other.... often times, it's not so much the fact that we "advice", we just need someone to say, "I know what you mean" and know that they really do... To know that someone else is in our boat...

Hang in there,

Higgy

For me, my biggest frustrations come when trying to shop, etc.. I can't always move the way people want met to, and I know that they don't know I'm an amputee, but I still get frustrated at them.....

Higgy

In browseing through the forum today I came across this and bells started to ring. One thing that I don't recall hearing mentioned is the difference is walking through a store.

The way that I walk is akin to "pole vaulting" I step over my prosthetic leg, swing it in front of me, and vault over it again, and so on and on. When I am in a crowded store - especially a flea market, (second hand store), where I have to walk slowly, it is many times more difficult, because I do not have the momentum to carry me over the "vault". When I go with other people, they think that it is easier for me to walk slow....... No, just the opposite. A good stride is the easiest by far.

Guest bearlover

The standing in line for a long time gets me..I'm not impatient about having to wait my turn. It is the pain and pressure on my leg that is a problem. Some people may hear me say :rolleyes: Awww or hmmmm. And think I'm not a patient person. But it is the pain I have while waiting my turn. I too can't move the way people think I should. They don't know I'm a amputee either. They should have lanes of some kind for people with special needs..

The waiting in line gets me too. As long as I'm moving I'm okay, but when I have to stand...ouch. The pressure pain in my nerve damaged foot really gets to me. Ah, well....we manage somehow, don't we? :)

Guest bearlover
The waiting in line gets me too. As long as I'm moving I'm okay, but when I have to stand...ouch. The pressure pain in my nerve damaged foot really gets to me. Ah, well....we manage somehow, don't we? :)

Boy can I relate!! Yep we do manage! and quite well I'm proud to say!! Thanks!! :)

:) See what one little sentence can start......

I too am the same, a slow walk, is really much harder than trying to go my "normal" gate... Of course, over the last 25 years, my gate has learned to match Hubby's (which can be quite fast) and the best thing he ever said to me was "what is your hurry" one day.. I was actually outwalking him!!!!!!

After trying to move sideways for people in the isles, or do the "sudden stop" thing, by the time I get to a checkout, I'm usually in pain standing as well.... me leg is tired and I'm just about done....

But, at least, now I know that it isn't just me that has these problems when shopping...... that is nice to know, for change, that it's just not my "attitude".....

Thanks everyone.......

Someone once told me not to: "Put personalities over principles"

That just cleared something up (unrelated) in my head - thanks for that, although the person involved wont thank you too much.

That just cleared something up (unrelated) in my head - thanks for that, although the person involved wont thank you too much.

:lol: Well thanks for that. I would rather be thanked by someone I do know - than not thanked by someone I don't. <_< That makes sense - doesn't it? :blink:

I think that the correct expression was/is: ALWAYS PUT PRINCIPLES BEFORE PERSONALITIES It is one of the credo's of Alcoholics Anonymous.

:) See what one little sentence can start......

I too am the same, a slow walk, is really much harder than trying to go my "normal" gate... Of course, over the last 25 years, my gate has learned to match Hubby's (which can be quite fast) and the best thing he ever said to me was "what is your hurry" one day.. I was actually outwalking him!!!!!!

After trying to move sideways for people in the isles, or do the "sudden stop" thing, by the time I get to a checkout, I'm usually in pain standing as well.... me leg is tired and I'm just about done....

But, at least, now I know that it isn't just me that has these problems when shopping...... that is nice to know, for change, that it's just not my "attitude".....

Thanks everyone.......

Yep, I think that is why I'd rather shop on-line....it makes me nervous around big crowds. I tend to get clumsy & awkward. :blink: I always could fall over my own feet :angry: ...I am glad to find out it's not just me. Sure am glad this subject was brought up. :)

Please let's not work ourselves up to another "explosion"... it's just not worth the cost.

Yes, I miss any number of folks who have "faded away" for any number of reasons. I know that I'm not exactly one of the "old members" -- like Gil, I'm somewhere in the middle -- but I think I've been hanging around here long enough to know about some of the "oldies but goodies." Wherever they are, whatever they're doing, I wish them well.

What I don't understand here, is what good it does to squabble among ourselves about what may or may not have been said to whom about what, or what any of that may or may not have had to do with someone deciding to "move on" or "cut back" or whatever their decision might be. We can all argue our own opinions until we're blue in the face... but only the folks personally involved know all the facts and the reasons for their individual decisions. Rank-and-file members complaining to (or about) other rank-and-fille members, quoting bits of old posts in or out of context, and just generally bemoaning the fact that life is full of changes seems so futile to me... and will do absolutely nothing to help recapture "what it was like before."

I still see some of the "old hands" pop up occasionally, and I'm glad of that. Perhaps in time whatever circumstances led to our present "factions" will be settled and the Forum will move in yet another direction. Or perhaps not. That's the thing about life... an awful lot of it is random and the best we can do is to "ride it out" and have the best time we can along the way.

Until then, can't we all just be friends?

Amen, Cheryl.

I need this forum the way fish need water. For answers, for support, for friendship. As Marcia said I can't wait to see everyone again. People hear understand the way someone who is not an amputee can't what hurts,what frustrates. We cannot redo the past. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet, All we really have is today. Let us enjoy it and let us not have to wish we could take back something that was said in the heat of the miment. Think twice -speak once,

JudyH

Guest bearlover
Muz - Marcus - Eddie - Paul - Afet - Siobahn - Sanicki - Aquarium 63 - Awesome Blue - and I know that I'm missing quite a few others.

I started to leave, and then felt like I was biteing off my nose to spite my face

Like in life, business, neighborhoods, clubs - anywhere, people come and go. The personality definitely has changed - but it's purpose hasn't, and that is to help others.

I see this as a support group first, and a social group second - not the other way around.

Nobody here is expendable - and that includes me. On the other hand, everyone is definitely needed to make this work.

I hope you stick around Pat. Your expertise and experience is much needed.

I'm very happy you decided to come back Jim!! You have much to offer! ;)

I've tried emailing Marilyn a couple of times, just to let her know that she's thought of often and missed... I've not had a reply, and I'm just hoping that she's OK... she was having to deal with so many problems at the point she left us. I hope we see her back one day, and I wish her all the best with the challenges she's facing.

I've tried emailing Marilyn a couple of times, just to let her know that she's thought of often and missed... I've not had a reply, and I'm just hoping that she's OK... she was having to deal with so many problems at the point she left us. I hope we see her back one day, and I wish her all the best with the challenges she's facing.

:( I also have emailed Marilyn & had no reply.....I really miss her spunky sense of humor....and YES she was dealing w/ so much. I don't know if she had to have more surgery or not. If so, I hope she is OK. I continue to pray for her. I can't imagine the heartbreak she was dealing with after the loss of her son. :( She needs all our prayers.

:angry:

Hi

When I started this thread I didnt know what response I would get it's certainly surprised me how much response it got and mainly for the better.

When I said that some of our friends were not posting and some had left under a veil of mystery I was hoping some would come back and they have.

I only hope that a particular young lady who was a moderator will also come back one day.

It's nice to see your comment's and I hope this forum goes from strength to strength.

So may I wish you all a very happy New Year and may next year bring better times for you all.

Best wishes Pat.

I sent Marilyn a message and heard back from her. She is doing better, but was dreading the holidays.

It's good that you got a reply, Neal... thanks for sharing with us!

I too am glad that you heard from Marilyn. I think of her often and pray all is well with her.