Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
SusanI

RAK......Suggestions for Driving? Being retested to drive?

I am a LBK and after some discussion with the DVLA (back in 1982) I learnt to drive and took my test in a manual. I now drive an automatic by choice because it is easier but sometimes drive my husbands car which is a manual and manage just fine. As Jim said I can feel the pedal through my prosthesis but then as a symes I have quite a long residual leg.

Sue

I'm really late coming into this thread. I'm a right AKA. I learned to drive with a left gas pedal adapter and had that on my first car. When I sold it, I taught myself to drive with my left foot using the regular pedal with the gas on the right and have never had a problem. In fact, I think it's easier. Plus, if you ever have to drive a vehicle without an adapter, you won't be tempted to step on the brake thinking it's the gas. ^_^

Plus, if you ever have to drive a vehicle without an adapter, you won't be tempted to step on the brake thinking it's the gas. ^_^

Ooof!! :blink:

That could be much bad...

10 days after getting leg (I am RAK) got a LH accelerator. No probs from day 1, comes off in seconds when wife needs it.

Changing cars this week and taking with . Te installation was about £300.

10 days after getting leg (I am RAK) got a LH accelerator. No probs from day 1, comes off in seconds when wife needs it.

I'm a right AK and in over twenty years have never needed anything, I just use a standard auto... no concerns about another peice of kit and the expense, will it fit? etc.

I had to have hand controls fitted as there was a lot of doubt about me being able to have legs at that time. I didn't want to be legless, carless and relying on my wife to run me around plus I wanted to get back to work.

Now I have legs I want to drive (dare I say it) normally. I practise in the car park at work after every one has gone home. I haven't quite got the confidence to go out onto the road yet as I still have a few problems with knowing were my feet are when it comes to emergency braking. :)

I had to have hand controls fitted as there was a lot of doubt about me being able to have legs at that time. I didn't want to be legless, carless and relying on my wife to run me around plus I wanted to get back to work.

Now I have legs I want to drive (dare I say it) normally. I practise in the car park at work after every one has gone home. I haven't quite got the confidence to go out onto the road yet as I still have a few problems with knowing were my feet are when it comes to emergency braking. :)

I'm glad you live so far away! :o :P

Well being an lbka I have never even thought about this, I just automatically started driving again as soon as I could and have been for the last six years. Obviously the first car I bought was an automatic, but I have even driven manuals to help people out, which is okay if there is a lot of room between your left knee and the steering wheel.

I don't know if I am legal or not, I live in Thailand and drive on my UK driving licence, so maybe I am illegal, I don't know. I have even hired cars many times and they see my leg and my licence and just give me the car.

So maybe now I am a legless driving offender :)

Cheers

Legless

I'm a right AK and in over twenty years have never needed anything, I just use a standard auto... no concerns about another peice of kit and the expense, will it fit? etc.

Interestd in your approach.

I assumed it was a UK requirement to have an adapation and have got used to driving with a LH accelerator; to use an auto without mods would be excellent. esp as my work takes me to places where in the past I have rented a car and now have to pass work on or get taxis.

one thing that is worth getting a new car adapated is that the purchase become VAT exempt (see HM customs notice 701/59)

last note was meant for one blueleg.

bat PC skills on my part

I was driving as soon as I got back out of the hospital.I had a left foot accelerator made and put it in my car .The only problem I had was when I used valet parking and could hear them hit the gas instead of the brake.I learned real quick to make sure and tell them ahead of time.

Now I also drive a straight drive and manage the slow tight spots by using the hand brake.It takes some getting used to but it is doable..

just my 2 cents....Mike

I was driving as soon as I got back out of the hospital.I had a left foot accelerator made and put it in my car .The only problem I had was when I used valet parking and could hear them hit the gas instead of the brake.I learned real quick to make sure and tell them ahead of time.

Valet parking, that's another thing I'll never have to worry about lol...

Recently I hired a car in Spain, a standard auto, that was just as easy to use without mods, the only thing was, being LH drive, my RAK leg was restricted by the centre console, so wasn't quite as comfortable as a RH drive, but wasn't too bad, I got used to it over the space of the two weeks I had it.

Just sit in the car and think what you have to do before turning on the engine!

Last night I drove off in a new unmodified left hand drive Audi A8 kindly lent to me by a friend. A few hours earlier was driving a modified right hand drive Smart, they couldnt be more different but no issues either in town or motorway.