Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
SusanI

WHAT TO WEAR???

Hi,

I've only had my new leg for a week. I'm doing pretty well, but am still only wearing long skirts and shorts.

It's winter, and I've been thinking about long pants, however, I will still be taking my leg on and off a lot, and certainly can't reach my own shoe yet. (no rotator for a while, plus I have trouble bending over as my socket is so high it keeps me from being able to bend forward) I will be going to physical therapy at least two days a week for a while, so I need something to wear there plus have shorts. My socket is also pretty big, so I hope it will fit under pants anyway!

I was looking at those convertable pants, where the legs zip off and leave shorts, but the legs will still be hard to get over my shoes. Someone at therapy had long sweat type nylon pants with zippers at the bottom so they could get them over their shoes. My therapist mentioned something about pants with snaps...that sounds cute! (not)

Any suggestions on handling this? Special on line links? :rolleyes:

In the past I wore a lot of slacks, and pretty much have been wearing this same ole long skirt.....hate to buy new skirts... I'd prefer to wear pants, but it might be easier.

I guess you guys don't have a choice about this!

TIA,

Susan

Susan,

I am in a slightly different position as I have no trouble putting trousers on and off (I am assuming by pants you mean what we in UK would call trousers) which is just as well as I wear nearly all trousers with the occasional long skirt. I never, ever wear shorts or short skirts as I like to keep my leg as hidden as possible. The only problem I ever had was that when very narrow ankles were the fashion I did have trouble putting them on and they were then incredibl tight around the ankle and did not look right.

Sue

Susan,

When I first started wearing a prosthesis, I had a couple of pairs of slacks/trousers that I split the inside seam in and put nearly invisible zippers in. It would allow me access to my leg to do what needed to be done, but it was still something to cover my legs... It worked better with lighter weight material than it did with denim. A friend of mine's mother, was having trouble with a never healing sore on her leg, and she done about the same thing, she opened the seam and she put velcro, (or hook and loop tape, whichever you prefer to call it)in the seam. That way, all she had to do at the doctors office was open up the outside seam of her pants leg for the doctor to inspect her wound... would something like that possibly work for you? Also, with the sweat pants, you could also cut and remove the bottom elastic out of the bottom of the leg of them. I'm sure that your leg will change and you will find things constantly changing or evolving for a while.. What worked at one point, may not work at another...

One thing about wearing a prosthesis, it will make a person "flexible" in their habits....

Hope these helped you a little....

Higgy

Hi,

I was looking at those convertable pants, where the legs zip off and leave shorts, but the legs will still be hard to get over my shoes. Someone at therapy had long sweat type nylon pants with zippers at the bottom so they could get them over their shoes. My therapist mentioned something about pants with snaps...that sounds cute! (not)

Susan

I'm an LBK and I've taken several pairs of pants, both dress and jeans, to a tailor who put zippers in them at a cost of $10 per. They really work great that way.

I wear Levi's boot cut blue jeans (517). I put the bottom of my pant leg on over the top of my prosthesis first, and then put my leg on. (Naturally, my good leg goes in next as normal.) My dress jean slacks (Levi's) are boot cut also, since all I wore for many years beore I lost my leg, were cowboy boots. (I still wear my dress boots, with a zipper down the inside for the prosthetic foot to go in easier.)

Guest bearlover

I'm so thrilled!!!! I have my first pair of buckle shoes!! :P I have never had a pair in my whole life. Due to a birth defect and a leg brace... :) They are really neat. My whole family was happy for me..A new pair of Christmas shoes.... :) :)

Guest bearlover
Hi,

I've only had my new leg for a week. I'm doing pretty well, but am still only wearing long skirts and shorts.

It's winter, and I've been thinking about long pants, however, I will still be taking my leg on and off a lot, and certainly can't reach my own shoe yet. (no rotator for a while, plus I have trouble bending over as my socket is so high it keeps me from being able to bend forward) I will be going to physical therapy at least two days a week for a while, so I need something to wear there plus have shorts. My socket is also pretty big, so I hope it will fit under pants anyway!

Any suggestions on handling this? Special on line links? :rolleyes:

In the past I wore a lot of slacks, and pretty much have been wearing this same ole long skirt.....hate to buy new skirts... I'd prefer to wear pants, but it might be easier.

I guess you guys don't have a choice about this!

TIA,

Susan

I know how you feel..I wear dress pants for a special event or a long skirt when neede..I have very few skirits and many dress pants and pants of every kind..I just feel for comfortable. I never wear shorts in the summer. I have many capirs that I do wear. And sneakers in lots of colors. I have not attempted to wear sandles yet. I have never been able to wear them all my life. Due to a birth defect with my leg.. I get whear you are comming from 100%!! :)

Hi,

Susan

I'm an LBK and I've taken several pairs of pants, both dress and jeans, to a tailor who put zippers in them at a cost of $10 per. They really work great that way.

How long are the zippers? On the inside of the leg I assume, or outside?

Susan

I wear Levi's boot cut blue jeans (517). I put the bottom of my pant leg on over the top of my prosthesis first, and then put my leg on. (Naturally, my good leg goes in next as normal.) My dress jean slacks (Levi's) are boot cut also, since all I wore for many years beore I lost my leg, were cowboy boots. (I still wear my dress boots, with a zipper down the inside for the prosthetic foot to go in easier.)

Hi Jim,

I think that once I get settled and am not taking off/putting on my leg so much or going to my Prosthetist or Physical therapy, where I wear shorts because they want access to my leg/residual limb; this will work well for me. Right now though my socket looks so big I may have to get a bigger pants/slacks/trousers size to fit over it!!)

:)

Susan

PS I'm also going to go out and get all white socks. My cute little sets of different colored socks are a PITA getting over the foot and under the shoe of my artificial leg.....I want something I won't have to change. Guess you guys don't have this problem so much!

Susan,

When I first started wearing a prosthesis, I had a couple of pairs of slacks/trousers that I split the inside seam in and put nearly invisible zippers in. It would allow me access to my leg to do what needed to be done, but it was still something to cover my legs... It worked better with lighter weight material than it did with denim. A friend of mine's mother, was having trouble with a never healing sore on her leg, and she done about the same thing, she opened the seam and she put velcro, (or hook and loop tape, whichever you prefer to call it)in the seam. That way, all she had to do at the doctors office was open up the outside seam of her pants leg for the doctor to inspect her wound... would something like that possibly work for you? Also, with the sweat pants, you could also cut and remove the bottom elastic out of the bottom of the leg of them. I'm sure that your leg will change and you will find things constantly changing or evolving for a while.. What worked at one point, may not work at another...

One thing about wearing a prosthesis, it will make a person "flexible" in their habits....

Hope these helped you a little....

Higgy

Thanks Higgy,

Were the zippers on the inside? I assume on the one leg only??

You're right about needing to become "flexible". :blink: Gotta shift again!!

Happy New Year!

Susan

Guest bearlover

When I had to go to the prosthetist and even now I wear the strech jeans. They can roll up over the prosthetic very easily to add a sock or for a prosthetic visit. They are very good for that!

I know a number of folks who do the invisible-zipper-in-the-inseam "fix" and like it very well. A tailor can do a "custom" zipper in whatever length you need in order to have easy access to your leg. I'm quite fond of stretch knits, myself... as long as they're not leggings-tight, they'll usually stretch enough to handle my BK prosthesis. My prosthetics tech advocates Jim's method of "dressing the prosthesis first," and I'll use that approach sometimes, especially with jeans.

The "what to wear" problem seems bigger at first. All my first year, I fussed and fumed about how to dress for the leg and still feel like ME. Eventually, I figured out that all I needed to do was allow a little extra width in the legs -- boot cut styles DO work well -- and then just dress for the occasion. I keep a pair of shorts in the trunk of the car for prosthetist visits and other than that, I pretty much do as I please!

Keep experimenting until you find some brands/styles that accommodate your leg and try some of the approaches suggested here... it won't be long until you learn what works and it becomes second nature to you!

Susan,

I'm a lbk, so I if I remember right, my zippers were about 20 inches long.. I put them on the inside of the leg, and no one ever noticed them. If you are an ak, I don't know why you couldn't put them on the outside of the leg, using a longer zipper... I work in an office during tax season and one day when I was having a lot of trouble with my stump and the fit of my socket, I even wore them to work... That way, behind my desk, it was easy enough to pop my leg off and make any adjustments to it....

You can play anyway that you want to with the zipper.. the one tried and true fact as an amputee is nothing is set in stone... It's what works for you..... For a while, on the farm, I wore jeans a size larger to accomdate the size of my socket in the knee area, but as things progressed and the sockets got smaller, the need for that wasn't necessary any longer either....

As for the socks, sometimes, if you sprinkle a small amount of baby powder in your shoe it makes getting the prosthetic foot a lot easier to get in a shoe...

If you have any more questions, just feel free to ask.....

Tammie

When I go see my prosthetist, I wear "sweat pants" - mostly a pair with zippers in the bottom rather than the elastic. Blue jeans of any style, (including boot cut), are hard to pull all the way up over the prosthesis, sooooo, other than dropping the pants, - which may not be the method one might want to go outside the privacy of home - the best advice is to wear something flexible enough that it can be pulled up over the prosthesis.

In the early years, when my wife and I travelled for a year after the amputation, and I had an ill fitting leg, I would wear short pants, as others have mentioned, so that I could take my leg on or off with ease. I then drove with my left foot.

P.S. The baby powder in the shoe is a great help. I always put some down my boots before I put them on, when I do wear them for dress-up. As I have mentioned before, I have had the corner of the heel on my prosthetic foot rounded off, so that it slide more easily into the shoe - or boot.

:o Susan, I have been racking my brain @ the PITA comment. Just now had that light go on & know what you ment :lol: :lol: sometimes I even surprise myself. (*wink)

Jim: your comment as to having your foot rounded off !!!!! That's what I mean about my prosthetist....wouldn't do that in a million years.

How long are the zippers? On the inside of the leg I assume, or outside?

Susan

The longer the better. Mine are 24 inches, on the inside of the leg where they're less noticeable and easier to get to.

Susan,

I checked your info just to be sure, I thought that you were an ak....

Depending on how high you need to go, since there are different ak heights, you might just have to go on the outside of the leg with a zipper.. They have a lot of them in sewing stores/departments that very in length. The ones that I put in are relatively simple if you sew.. plus, by the time you are done, they barely show. For me, being rather vertically deprived, I didn't need a real long one. I think I used them about 20 inches long for me, maybe even 22 to go up to about the knee area...

If you want further info on this you can pm me any time...I'd be glad to discuss it with you, or even talk with you on the phone if you need me to...

By the way... beautiful Labs that you have.................I sure miss mine..

Higgy

Jim - how do you "round" the heel off?

I'm so thrilled!!!! I have my first pair of buckle shoes!! :P I have never had a pair in my whole life. Due to a birth defect and a leg brace... :) They are really neat. My whole family was happy for me..A new pair of Christmas shoes.... :) :)

I have had to wer orthopedic shoes for a long time and I really hate them. This year the store where I have had to get them had a rather large sele3ction of shoes that will take a realy deeporthodic. I now hae temmis shoes, dress choes (Mary Janes) sandals (yes! you heard right sandals) and "casual" shoes. I thinkI died and went to heaven. I believe they do a catalogue.

JudyH

Guest bearlover

I have had to wer orthopedic shoes for a long time and I really hate them. This year the store where I have had to get them had a rather large sele3ction of shoes that will take a realy deeporthodic. I now hae temmis shoes, dress choes (Mary Janes) sandals (yes! you heard right sandals) and "casual" shoes. I thinkI died and went to heaven. I believe they do a catalogue.

JudyH

I feel your pain! :angry: Why are they so ugly? why can't they make a orthopedic shoe stylish? :angry: I also had to wear orthopedic shoes as a child up until my late to ealy twentys..Boy did I get made fun of. I HATE it so much..The shoes I just got are like Mary Janes.. Very stylish but no heal..I looked forever for them. where can I get a catalog?? I would be so happy to wear sandles!! I nevr have and envied people who can...Thanks for the reply!! ;)

Jim: your comment as to having your foot rounded off !!!!! That's what I mean about my prosthetist....wouldn't do that in a million years.
Jim - how do you "round" the heel off?

I'll take a picture tomorrow and put it on. My prosthetist wasn't excited about the idea either, and advised me that it might negate the warranty. This was 15 years ago, and I have had every foot done this way since, with no ill effect. It also takes away the "slapping" that I used to get.

:o Susan, I have been racking my brain @ the PITA comment. Just now had that light go on & know what you ment :lol: :lol: sometimes I even surprise myself. (*wink)

:angry: :D :P

Susan

Hi Susan

Sorry to be a bit late in answering - I somehow missed this thread. :blush:

I'm AK & BK. I used to wear jeans/trousers/pants all the time when I was younger & now I wear skirts (whatever the weather). Skirts are much much easier for me & because both my legs are encased in prostheses I don't feel the cold as much as most people.

But, enough about me...back to your problem: When I was wearing jeans (they were very tight ones B)), I used to put the leg(s) of the jeans onto my prosthesis(es) before I put the shoe(s) on and before I put the prosthesis(es) on. I found that if a pair of jeans was too tight to go over my prosthetic feet, then they were also usually too tight to wear comfortably (e.g. they stopped my knees from functioning properly).

Your socket will reduce in size over the next two years, so you won't be wearing ultrawide trousers forever. Just for the short term, why don't you stick to wearing Chinos or Oxford Bags (if you can get them) or jogging pants? If you have problems with fastening, why don't you try Velcro? I know that people who wear limb lengthening frames often adapt their clothing with Velcro strips.

As for limb fittings, have you tried wearing a short gym/PE skirt? I've seen quite a few women wearing those in fitting rooms. Or perhaps a pair of Lycra cycling shorts?

Also, I know that Jim was trying to help, but I wouldn't recommend any AK to have their heel rounded off. It will alter you alignment and you'll find it much harder to walk.

I hope you find an answer very soon.

Lizzie :)

PS Your dogs are just gorgeous! :wub:

Also, I know that Jim was trying to help, but I wouldn't recommend any AK to have their heel rounded off. It will alter you alignment and you'll find it much harder to walk.

Lizzie :)

You are absolutely correct Lizzie. I always try never to give advice or reccomendations. (The key word here is - TRY). I only mentioned in passing, what worked for me. I strongly reccomend that each person talk to their prothetist first before taking any changes on their own. That's what you pay them for.

My policy here on the forum, is to share my: "experiences, strength and hope It's up to each individual what they decide to take from it.

Thank you for clarifying it.

...............I always try never to give advice or reccomendations. (The key word here is - TRY). ................

I strongly reccomend that each person talk to their prothetist first before taking any changes on their own.

Whoops......It looks like I contradicted myself there. Like I said....I TRY. :blush::wub: :D :D