Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hello all,

I am a new member and am an AKA, since 1/13/03. Cancer was the culprit. I kept my leg for 1 1/2 yrs and had surgery to remove it.

I went to other chat rooms and was disappointed to find amputees who said they had to learn to live without using their prosthesis, for various reasons. Usually, it was just too much trouble, so they were resigned to their cructhes, walker or wheelchair. :(

Not the case on this web site and I am now determined to DO IT. :rolleyes:

Thanks to Heather, her sister and all of you.

You can do it You just have to want to. I have been an amputee for almost 36 years and yes I know how easy it could be to put the leg in the closet and forget about it but WHAT kind of life would that BE?

Live Life To The Fullest!!

Brenda RBKA

WELCOME ,

I am the mum ( Vicki) of a 20 yr amputee ( niki) , Im sure you have read some of our posts. Niki , is new at this too, her motor vehicle accident only 10 months ago. Niki broke both fumurs and had to have skin graft on her amputated leg. so it was at least 3 months wait before she could put any weight on her legs. I watched her go through some very emotional stages, It is very hard, she would throw her crutches out the door into the pool. Then it would be the leg . out it would go , with some choice words, You must have dermination, and do not be hard on yourself, You are allowed to blow up at times, I do and i have 2 legs. Life is tough , and the tough get going.

good luck , keep intouch , and you must talk to Niki, She has a great positive attitude. (most of the time ha ha!)

VICKI WILLIAMS AUSTRALIA

:rolleyes: HI IM NIKI,

I BECAME A BRK AT 19YRS, JUNE 2002

:D I HAD ER SURGERY, BUT IF THE DOC GAVE ME A CHOISE, I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN NEARLY THE SANE SITUATION AS YOU... :(

I AM ON MY 3RD LEG AND FINDING IT MUCH EASIER THAN I IMAGINED! MAYBE LIFE HAS REALLY ONLY GIVEN US A NEW CHALLENGE??? ;)

MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU.. KEEP IN TOUCH AND KEEP KEEN! :D

GO FOR IT! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!

LUV NIKI :rolleyes:

I am a new member and am an AKA, since 1/13/03.  Cancer was the culprit.

Hello fellow cancer surviver :) Welcome to the amputee forum!!! We are glad that you found us. It makes me feel good to know that we have inspired you in some way to look to the future in a more positive way. :rolleyes: Keep the faith and make good use of the amputee forum.

Sincerely:

Hello, I am also a new member. I am a BK for 8 years and I am 24 years old. Cancer was my culprit as well. I was always dependent on my prosthesis and still to this day, I feel more complete with it on. It is good to hear similar feelings and frustrations on this forum. After eight years, you'd think I would have found a helpful outlet by now! :D

Iris

After eight years, you'd think I would have found a helpful outlet by now!

Hello again Iris!!!! :)

Don't be so hard on yourself. It may have taken you eight years, but this amputee forum is a little over 1 month old. And the fact is that you found it and are part of its inception, and that is all that matters.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrows a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present! Live and savor every moment...this is not a dress rehearsal!

All my Best Regards: :rolleyes:

What is the accepted pratice re: driving?

Does everyone have to have car adjusted for Hand Controls?

Does anyone drive with one leg? Do you take your prosthesis off to

drive?

Thanks Niki for letting me know that I will be able to wear pants

and boots. :D

Hello phharr@earthlink.net, :)

I drive with my prosthesis on. I don't think that it would be safe any other way.

I am a left amputee and drive an automatic transmission, so I do not need my left leg to drive because it only requiries one leg.

I started driving about 2 months after my surgery when I bought a Honda CRV SUV which is a great vehicle for an amputee to get into. Other vehicles where the seat height is easy to negotiate getting into would provide the same advantage as the Honda CRV.

I hope all is going well for you. ;)

Regards:

:D hello earthlink,

:D im glad i could be of some help..

thanks for writting back...

There are still a few things i need to get around dress wise.

:P

But all in good time....

luv niki

Hi phharr, my hubby is aka right leg. He lost his leg in 1971 in a motorcycle accident. He has no problem driving, whether its automatic or stick, he even use to race dirt modifieds. I think his positive attitude really helps(or maybe its because he's so stubborn!!) He will try anything, even got back on a motorcycle. I think with a good attitude and alot of support you can accomplish anything. Good luck to you.

Hugs, Barb

Hello Phharr,

I also am a right leg ak amputee. I drive an automatic with my prothesis on without any problems using my left leg/foot. My car did'nt need any modifications at all but my wifes car required both pedals to be moved to the left a couple of inches to give clearance for my right foot, still no problem for anyone else to drive (those odd 2 footed people I mean) as the placement still feels normal. Depending which country you live in you may require an engineers certificate to ensure your vehicle insurance remains valid.It only takes a short time to get used to driving with the left leg, the hardest part is teaching the left leg/foot to be gentle after it's been so used to just stabbing the clutch pedal.

A few months ago I had a drive of my sons manual transmission car, only went around the block a few times but using my left leg for all three pedals makes it rather tiring (and not so safe) very quickly.

Rgds Glenn

:o Those hints about driving were wonderful. I tried it and guess what-It works. :D

Barb and 7Feet really were inspirational and I'm sure you all know how it feels to have WHEELS and not have to wait to be driven.

Thanks all! B)

Well done, to all concerned here, I have followed this topic which was posted the 1st april, now it is the 7th april, 1 week later, And you have all help earthlink to have the confidence to drive. Thats incredible, good on you all , :D you make me so proud. Im sure you have made yourself proud earthlink. Thats made my day. Love to you all.

Vicki Williams Australia

O.K. Friends,

Tomorrow is my big day. I finally get to Physical Med. dept. for my prosthesis.

It is nerve racking and exciting, since the AKA seems to present speciial challenges. My worries are: Is the stump long enough?

I have no Femur bone and I know there will be some falling. And since I am 5'9", I have a long way to fall. :rolleyes: :o :lol:

Wish me luck.

I will report back

Phyl

Hi Phyl,

I got my prosthesis yesterday! :) It feels so good to be able to stand on both feet again! :) I share your joy! :)

Keep us posted on all your developments okie! I am sure I will be your avid fan! :P

Luv,

Agnes