Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
cherylm

2007 ACA Conference

Okay... the registration forms and housing into have been posted on the ACA site... and I'm still hoping to be able to work out to attend it this year. (Have the time... trying to gather the funds!)

Does anyone who's gone in the past have any tips and/or advice for a first-timer? (And thank you already, Higgy!) Also, is there anyone who might be looking to save on housing costs by finding themselves a roommate?

I'd sure appreciate some input!

I'm so pleased you are going Cheryl :)

Pity we won't be there this year I'm very jealous.

Get involved as much as you can with as many things as you can, it's a very short time you have at the conference so take as much from it as you can.

Make sure the bar area is populated at all times :P Neal is fabulous at keeping tables and seats warm :rolleyes:

Most things will be done for you. Johnny will organise dinner seating and Marcia and Tammie know exactly what is required "after hours". :lol:

I hope last years standards are kept :D and you all have a fabulous time I will be thinking of you all.

Cheryl, now that I've decided to rejoin the human race, I've begun setting my sights on how I can go to the conference this year... I'm working on it!!

But Neal has to promise to go and keep the bar open for us! :o

Cheryl, now that I've decided to rejoin the human race, I've begun setting my sights on how I can go to the conference this year... I'm working on it!!

But Neal has to promise to go and keep the bar open for us! :o

Marilyn, I also am hoping to attend this year... :P ..I am sure we will get all the advice we can handle.

Watch out for bald guys with long red goatees... :rolleyes:

Ann, Awesome! Let's do everything we can to make it work!

Shane, are you going????

I need to go to the website, but if I take my husband, do I have to pay double for him to attend? Or, what do non-amp spouses do?

Yep. :D Cass and I both plan to attend, so I'm wandering about the spouses also.

Hello everyone.... I hope that I can get a lot of these questions answered for you..... serious ones first I hope......

First and foremost for everyone, here is the link for the website....it will give you two links, one for the conference registration, the other for reservation information and a link to make them too...

.http://www.amputee-coalition.org/annual_meeting_about.html

Biggest tip of all...make your reservations early and if you need something special, like a shower chair or wheel chair, or a handicap room, be sure to ask for it and make them early because they have a limited number of handicap rooms available...

1) Cherylm.... they have a link for others who are looking to save money on room sharing... It's on the ACA website for the conference...under housing info......look there if you aren't sharing with someone here...

2) I am a member of the ACA and my husband isn't. However, they have me register him under my membership number to get the discount. If you aren't a memeber, you can still register, but the rates are higher (its' cheaper to become a member....) Second, you don't have to pre-register, but that is a HUGE discount over registering when you get there...Be advised though that there are cancellation dates for refunds, at 100% and 50% or none.

Some people register for only a day, or the dance, etc. and not the whole conference.

3) Spouses....... Hubby attends most of the things that I do, (he is a partial/partial amputee..half of a half). However, there are some things that he doesn't go to... Like the womens issues seminar...But, he likes the info too and has learned as much as I have if not more..

Some spouses attend and only show at meal times and the dance, others, not at all.. Some go for the shopping or other stuff and some stay home.... There is a mall close by, and another somewhere close too...

So, in that aspect, it's up to you... If you want to eat with us, you have to register..

4) The first year there, I tried to do as much as I could, but I had to choose at times, which thing I wanted to attend because sometimes, they run at the same time... But, things are awesome and plan on having a good time...making good friends and life long memories..

The best thing about the conference is that you are among people that are just like us... You have no reason to feel self conscious of yourself, like you might at home... There are no strangers there....

You can get as rowdy as you like, or as quiet...... Just be sure to keep SOME people away from escalators..

If you have any more questions, just ask.... I hope I covered most of the territory, but I know I didn't.....

Shane, Cheryl, Marilyn, Ann..... Here's hoping to meet you all....

Note to Johnny.... we lots of tables.................

Cat, :( :( :( :( you broke my heart.........is it posititive?

Yay, Shane!

Well we'll all just have to make this work. Cheryl and I promised each other last year that we'd attend this year. I have the time off (all my time is basically free time these days!), but I need to ask hubby to put in for some vacation time. He's worked at his employment for 30+ years, so he gets a lot of vacation time.

The best thing about the conference is that you are among people that are just like us... You have no reason to feel self conscious of yourself, like you might at home... There are no strangers there....

You can get as rowdy as you like, or as quiet...... Just be sure to keep SOME people away from escalators..

Cat, :( :( :( :( you broke my heart.........is it posititive?

Yes Tammie positive :(

Be ROWDY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: C'mon.............Standards have been set !!! :P

The escalators are dangerous.....ask Neal :lol:

**********NEWSFLASH*****************

It has come to our attention that a certain Aussie has been barred from attending this year's ACA conference in Atlanta due to technical difficulties in riding escalators. He has been advised to read the thread on how to approach, step onto and step off of escalators. If this is completed in a timely fashion, he may or may not be able to attend in 2008. We'll miss you!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep us a table open in the bar.

Everyone be sure to bring your swimsuits as we are going to entertain everyone this year with a synchronised swimming class. It should be easy as long as the lefties swim in left circles and the righties in right circles. Should be real KOOL. :D :o :rolleyes::huh: :( :lol:

I'm not sure if I'll be flying or driving, but hopefully will arrive on Thursday afternoon. Let's keep posted on when we arrive as the night before can be pretty boring if you don't already know someone. Our first official meeting of the clan won't be until lunch on Friday. Johnny can arrange for tables for us like last year.

Can't wait to see old friends and meet new ones.

Neal

**********NEWSFLASH*****************

It has come to our attention that a certain Aussie has been barred from attending this year's ACA conference in Atlanta due to technical difficulties in riding escalators. He has been advised to read the thread on how to approach, step onto and step off of escalators. If this is completed in a timely fashion, he may or may not be able to attend in 2008. We'll miss you!!!!!!!!!

I'll keep us a table open in the bar.

Everyone be sure to bring your swimsuits as we are going to entertain everyone this year with a synchronised swimming class. It should be easy as long as the lefties swim in left circles and the righties in right circles. Should be real KOOL. :D :o :rolleyes::huh: :( :lol:

Not too bad an idea Neal........ Also, I've heard that sometimes, they pardon people...... if they complete the escalator safety course and pass it.... I guess that means that they have to learn the escalator definition tests.... R stands for reverse, not running.. ;)

See you there, friend..

I'm pretty sure we'll be driving this year. Atlanta is only about 6 hrs from here. I'm so disappointed Cat and Ruth aren't coming but I am looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting the first timers. We should probably meet Thursday night in the bar....

We should probably meet Thursday night in the bar....

Cass says, "Oh, yeah...!!!" :D :D :D

I'm pretty sure we'll be driving this year. Atlanta is only about 6 hrs from here. I'm so disappointed Cat and Ruth aren't coming but I am looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting the first timers. We should probably meet Thursday night in the bar....

I thought it was every night in the bar................ :P :lol: :lol:

I thought it was every night in the bar................ :P :lol: :lol:

It better be. We set high standards last year. :D

I'm just lucky that my employer is OK with me being off for a few days in mid-June... that's the end of the school year in California, a busy time for us, and they're being generous as they know how important this is to me.

If I had "all the time in the world," I'd drive and get to see some of the country I've not traveled before... however, it looks like I'll be flying. (Looking for bargains and hope to book the flight in the not-too-distant future.)

The plan right now is to arrive Thursday afternoon or evening if I possibly can...........

Oh, I hope this comes together and I get to meet everyone... that's almost as important to me as the Conference itself!

I'm not the "rowdiest" person in the world, Cat... but I promise to cheer the others on for you!

I got my ACA membership last night...for free! They have a special one year deal for vets, so if it applies to you, check it out! :D

I got my ACA membership last night...for free! They have a special one year deal for vets, so if it applies to you, check it out! :D

Thanks for the tip. I was informed that I was the first Canadian to ask about this. I recieved my membership this past week.

So now I suppose it is time for everyone to indicate if they are in fact attending this year.. We need to set up a list the same as last year and make some similar arrangements for meeting etc.........................

Looks like JohnnyV you're on............

ED

Mark and I will be there, either on both the HOGS or one. My wheelchair mayches his bike. Lookinf forward to meeting all. And Neal if I find a skull swim suit I'll put one on.

Skully Cat

Got my flight... got a room (with roommate)... got my ACA membership card... got the time off work... LOOKS LIKE I'M REALLY GOING!

I still need to finalize my registration and reserve a spot on the shuttle bus, both of which I should be able to take care of this month. Then, Atlanta, here I come!

Hi Ed:

Are you going this year? I'd really like to go. Will you be flying alone? would you mind company?

Lynne

Thanks for the tip. I was informed that I was the first Canadian to ask about this. I recieved my membership this past week.

So now I suppose it is time for everyone to indicate if they are in fact attending this year.. We need to set up a list the same as last year and make some similar arrangements for meeting etc.........................

Looks like JohnnyV you're on............

ED

I think a big question to get settled is, which bar.... The hotel had a couple of them...... Most likely, the sports bar will probably have the most room.

It's good to hear you all getting ready..I'm sure as the days get closer, we will do more of a final head count.

Cheryl, don't forget the early bird deadline.. It cuts the cost of the Conference almost in half...I'm thinking it is May 15th..check the site for sure though to be absolutely sure.

Looking forward to meeting those of you who I haven't met before...

I would so love to go to this conference this year. I'm "kidda hoping" Ed will fly in and I can jump on the plane with him.

Is there anybody leaving to the ACA from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Lynne

I'm a little scared going on my own, unless your all meeting in one place?

Okay... the registration forms and housing into have been posted on the ACA site... and I'm still hoping to be able to work out to attend it this year. (Have the time... trying to gather the funds!)

Does anyone who's gone in the past have any tips and/or advice for a first-timer? (And thank you already, Higgy!) Also, is there anyone who might be looking to save on housing costs by finding themselves a roommate?

I'd sure appreciate some input!