Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Running AK

Hope and possibility 5K Atlanta

I hope I can do it again. I don't do well in heat and humidity. That's the only thing that would keep me from doing it.

Over the next few months I am going to attempt to learn how to run on my AK prosthesis. I have a new knee which will allow me to do so. I'm a little nervous (ack!) as I have not EVER run in my 30+ years as an amputee. My six year old is determined to "help" me, LOL. She says, "mommy, just watch ME..." If only it were that easy! :) Wish us luck!!!!!

The Hope and Possibility 5K sounds like the perfect "first race" for me! I'll make that my goal!

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Karen that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I know you can do it if you want to.

God I'd love to be there to see you and Neal running together.

You GO!! :D

It is scary Karen, but if you just let yourself go, it will be somewhat natural. It was for me. I'm not AK though. Talk to RunningAK for some tips. He is a good runner.

Karen that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I know you can do it if you want to.

God I'd love to be there to see you and Neal running together.

You GO!! :D

Cat,

Someone will film it for sure.

JudyH

I'd like to walk it but I don't think I can walk that far. Especially in the heat :(

Guest bearlover
I'd like to walk it but I don't think I can walk that far. Especially in the heat :(

Ditto! I'm lucky I can walk through a grosery store!

He did run this race leg over leg. I was on the sidelines cheering them on. Mike is the runner in the yellow shirt that the reporter interviewed. It is a truly inspiring event. I hope to be able to join them again next year.

Great stuff, you make it look so easy... I've not heard much about AKs running long distances in the past, I'd always thought it takes so much effort it's mostly sprinting that AK runners do... well done... you're an inspiration.

Wow Mike, I'm really impressed. Being a below knee bilat I did study the bilats technique in the video. I have only run on my knees up and down our garden to the amusement of my neighbour’s kids.

As Oneblueleg has already said, you're an inspiration.