Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hazel

losing my marbles

Well, some of you may have noticed that i wasn't posting for quite a while. I got very down at the end of last summer, and instead of turning to you guys ( who would have slapped me back into shape) i went into denial. I denied that there was anything wrong until my husband finally had enough and sent me to the doctors who promptly prescribed some anti-depressants.

Don't know how you feel about them, but I didn't trust em after the bad press they seem to get. After a lot of heart searching I deceided to at least give them a go. WOW! they worked, evening out my mood swings after only a week, after a couple of months i thought i'd be ok so a started taking less and then none. Huge mistake. I started to dip again so went back on them ( my GP didn't know about all this offing and oning). I felt good again and after a while tried to come off em again...... you guessed it, I hit rock bottom after only 2 weeks.

My question to you lot is this,

Have you ever tried prozac, ?how long were you on it? what did you think of it,? did it help? etc etc.

Glad they work for you Hazel :)

I was on A.D.'s for a little while a few years ago and they did help with what I was fighting back then. Can't for the life of me remember what they were called.

Any ways I didn't enjoy the side effects and slowly got off them.

Haven't needed them since thank goodness......but that's what a big change in life will do for you sometimes B)

Hazel, I'm glad they're working... and you're right, you should NOT be "offing" and "oning." Find a level that works for you and stick with it... if you reach the point where you do have problems with any side-effects, talk to your doctor... this is something you want to come off VERY gradually.

I'm speaking from experience here... I don't take Prozac, but I do take a low dose of a related AD (Paxil) and have for a number of years now. I have had lifelong battles with deep depression: I grew up in a home with two severely depressed parents, and I firmly believe that both environment and heredity play a part in my tendency to go "down." I take my daily AD as part of my normal routine, just like my insulin shot and my morning vitamins. It gives me a stable base, so that I can tackle life's challenges without having to worry about that old "black hole" opening up and swallowing me.

One thing to remember is that today's ADs are NOT "happy pills" that make you "different." (That was one of my fears when I first considered using them.) Rather, they work by stabilizing your brain chemistry to allow you to be YOU, not just "your depression."

There are some "non-medicated" ways to deal with depression as well... I take advantage of those as much as possible. Primary is exercise and physical activity: the changes in brain chemistry during exercise are very close to what Prozac and its "family members" create. Distraction can help, too, just as it can with phantom pains... getting your focus on something else can greatly improve moods. Sleep is incredibly important... you need enough to be physically well-rested, but not so much that you're using sleep to avoid dealing with things. Yes... that probably means a full eight hours. Finally, connections with family and friends can make a BIG difference... so don't go vanishing on us again!

If depression is something "new" to you, you may well work your way through it eventually. Lots of folks do! But don't take chances with your health... depression is a medical problem, same as other conditions. Take advantage of any aids to help you through this period.

It's good to see you back!

I don't take Prozac but I do take Lexapro and have been for over a year. And you know what, it works, so I decided to not to worry about it. I don't have any side effects and I'm a whole lot nicer to be around :)

Bottom line, do you what you need to do.

Guest bearlover

Hi Hazel! Happy you posted again..Sometimes life can be really difficult, Thank goodness you gave a great husband.. :) Hang in there things will get better.

Hey Hazel,

I started on Prozac about 3 months ago. At first everything seemed good and then down I went. So the doc upped my dose and, so far, so good. I recently drifted off for a while and wasn't around here much. Well, that's what it was. Just what you described.

I have noticed just what Cheryl described. It helps give that little extra to climb up out of my funk and live. Basicly, it helps me be me. That coupled with a genuine effort to focus on the positive have been a huge help to me. And one seems to play off the other. And like everybody says, consistency is key.

I'm glad you're doing well. It's really nice having you around here! :D

thanks guys, it's great to know i'm not alone.

The meds DO work, and i don't get any side effects, so it's silly not to take em because of an old stigma attached. :(

Cherylm, you're right. and i used to be SOSOOO active. I've just got a new wet leg so i'm going to start afresh today and get a swimming routine going, there's no excuse to be sitting around. :rolleyes:

I'm not ill, i'm just differently mobile. God forbid we were all the same eh?

Thanks again, you lot always come through when anyone needs ya xxx

thanks guys, it's great to know i'm not alone.

The meds DO work, and i don't get any side effects, so it's silly not to take em because of an old stigma attached. :(

Cherylm, you're right. and i used to be SOSOOO active. I've just got a new wet leg so i'm going to start afresh today and get a swimming routine going, there's no excuse to be sitting around. :ph34r:

I'm not ill, i'm just differently mobile. God forbid we were all the same eh?

Thanks again, you lot always come through when anyone needs ya xxx

My husband has depresion issues and he has tried many, the best which works for his diabetic neuropathy and chronic pain issues from Lymes is Cymbalta. SSIR's which prozac is are very good they all have there better things about them. But so far for the horrible seasonal issues he has and pain this has been the best. He was on prozac but it did not help the pain, the depression yes.

I am glad your here you have been very helpful to me.

Skully Cat

thanks Skully, i'm sure the best thing that your hubby has is his favour is YOU xx ;)

Hazel,

If you were a diabetic, would you not take medication because of the "stigma" of diabetes? If you had other chronic illnesses would you stop the medications without checking with the prescribing doctor? Of course not. You are not dumb and you want to be sure you stay healthy.

Depression is a chronic condition too. It can go away sometimes, true. ADs work because of their long-term neurobiochemical effects. Just as you would not adjust insulin dosages without a doctor's recommendation, don't mess with your head either!

There is no shame in being stable. The mood swings and depth of depression stink. Period. If the medication helps take the edge off and give you the chance to shine through, what a blessing for you and for those lucky enough to know you. If you have no adverse side effects, enjoy your life. Carpe Diem, indeed!

I took Prozac for a few years and stopped when I got pregnant. I did not go back on it as my neurochemistry had changed. The big advantage the medication gave me was the ability to learn other coping skills and allow the psychotherapy to work. Even now, I sometimes think of going back on meds, but find the the cognitive skills I gained in therapy seem to work.

The meds allow you to see that the mood cycles are not forever. The waves will crash over you and you will resurface. Be kind to yourself and give yourself every edge you can.

Maryl

Thanks Maryl,

I've been a good girl lately and have taken everthing as prescribed, :D feel loads better for it.

Thanks everyone for the much needed kick up the butt. :P

Dearest Hazel,

I have been suffering from Bipolar Disorder I since I was a boy of 14 (1964).

My self-diagnosed condicion was left untreated until the early 90s when I heard

of this new American wonder drug Prozac.

I asked my GP for a prescription.

In my case the depressions clearly dominate with recurring undramatic phases

of hypomanias.

I made the same mistake as you, stopping the medication after two or three months

when I was feeling better.

Since August 2006 I have been regularly consulting a psychiatrist.

We started with Prozac which only began to show a positive effect after 6 weeks!

But at regular intervals of 6 to 7 weeks mild to medium depressions would

return with the usual compulsive negative thoughts.

I would double or treble the dosage and after a relatively short time the depressions

would abate.

To prevent these phases from reoccuring we tried Valproat, but had to stop the

medication on account of sudden severe stabbing pains in the neck.

I am quite content with my new medication Cymbalta which has restored my drive.

Anyway you must continue your medication for at least a year or even longer.

Give my love to your husband (the ex-Sapper)!

Love,

Mike

thanks Mike, good to hear from you xx

A friend of mine has just started on cybalta and has noticed a big change in how angry he was constantly feeling.

I've been taking prozac for about 5 months now and definately feel better, I've just opened a little plant shop close to home and i'm feeling positive and useful for the first time in a couple of years.

Life's not that bad if you give it a chance huh? :lol:

I feel Like im loosing mine im starting some EMDR treatment next week so hope to bring a few problems to the surface. Ive been down before where im fedup but things lifted my mood like music but this time im proper down.. :( :( :(

Dear Paul,

I know the feeling. Obviously you are going through a heavy depression where your inside, your heart

and guts turn to stone and not even your favourite music can lift your spirit.

High time you begin taking anti-depressants.

Sorry, but what does EMDR stand for?

Wishing you

All the Best

Love,

Mike rhd

Hiya, i have thought of AD but they scare me to death the stigma with them soo i dont know nothings lifting me even me fishing im struggling with, sometimes when i get down i think i should go back to my cancer hospital and remind myself of how well im doing but will see ..EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Treatment i start soon on it,,cheers

www.emdr.org.uk

Hiya, i have thought of AD but they scare me to death the stigma with them soo i dont know nothings lifting me even me fishing im struggling with, sometimes when i get down i think i should go back to my cancer hospital and remind myself of how well im doing but will see ..EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Treatment i start soon on it,,cheers

www.emdr.org.uk

Dearest Paul,

WHAT STIGMA?

Frankly

someone who has had a close brush with death in the shape of cancer

someone who had his leg amputated

should not give a damn about what other people might think!

Read VeryScared's post carefully and take it to heart!

I often wonder what my life might have been like if I had started medication earlier.

Take care!

Mike

I've had EMDR and it really works, it helped me to get right down the the core of why i felt so down. I felt a massive weight lift off my mood and havn't looked back since. Good luck with it Paul xx

Anyone familiar with Paxil? :blink:

Paxil? nope, never heard of it. what is it?

Hazel did you have to get a walkman , ive been ask too . If soo do you listen to the music all the time afterwards..

Paul

i already hed an i-pod so i downloaded it on there and listen to it whenever i'm feeling down

Hazel Had me first session yesterday went well and got me disc now sooo im chilled of a evening.. take care Hazel be good x bye

paul

Glad to hear it Paul, hope it all goes well for ya ;)

Cheers Hazel :D , Ive got a few stints of trecking up the 56 but i hope it will be worth it chuck , Onwards and upwards hey . Hows the shop Hazel and family?? PS keep your Lid out of the dirt you bin Break Dancing lol :P Take care x

Bye

Paul :D