Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Karen

Heather Mills on "Dancing with the Stars"

I just read that Heather Mills will be competing on the ABC show "Dancing with the Stars" this season. Go Heather!!!!!

Karen

AKA

Orlando, FL

Good for her. Here's a lady that not only "Talk's the Talk", but "Walk's the Walk". (Or rather dances it.) My hat is off to her.

:D Sounds good to me!!!!!

I've watched the show since season two. I don't think I could dance those dances, but my hat is off to her. I hope she does well. It will largely be up to her dancing partner to choreograph her dances to suit her needs while still adhering to a particular dances requirements.

A distinguished fellow like Jim would make a fine partner. ;)

--Bill

Thanks Bill. :lol: I asked my wife, and she said "no". Actually, I think that it was more like: "NO!!!" :D

I don't think that she was worried about me being around the pretty ladies, but more of not wanting me to make a fool of myself - AND not embarass the partner. :lol: :P I used to like to dance, but I am afraid that this was out of my league even when I was in my prime. Knowing me however, I'd still try to have a go at it. :lol: :lol: Cha - Cha - Cha !

I can't wait! I love watching the UK version, so will be even moreof an avid viewer to see am amputee proving that we're just the same ( if not better) as every other novice dancer.

I'm a huge fan of the show and can't wait to see her. I can't imagine being able to dance like that as a bk.

Am I correct that this is happening this March? I thought HM was recovering from revision surgery just last fall. I certainly hope she's up and dancing, but this seems a bit soon to me.

I want to say it starts March 19th... there were promos for it during the Oscar broadcast last night. It was interesting (and kind'a cool) that they did NOT emphasize the amp-thing... just billed her as "a supermodel."

Guest bearlover

And they should not keep telling the people about the amp thing..She is more than a amputee. Like us being a amputee dose not identify who we are! :)

Were they referring to Heather, Cheryl? There's a former supermodel who's going to be on the show, Paulina...I can't pronounce her last name, who is married to Rick O'Casek.

Like us being a amputee dose not identify who we are! :)

Neither does being born with a body that's suited to wearing the latest garments ... but I don't hear any complaints about being described as a "supermodel" <_<

i THINK IT IS FANTASTIC! i HAVE WATCHED THIS SHOW SINCE IT BEGAN AND CANT WAIT TO SEE HEATHER TAKE OVER...NOW IF ONLY I CAN GET WALKING AGAIN MYSELF....IM BREAKING IN A NEW SOCKET WITH NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS LOL

U BEKIEVE WITH A PROPER FITTING PROS YOU CAN DO ANYTHING

GOOD LUCK HEATHER...LOVE YOU! :D

I want to say it starts March 19th... there were promos for it during the Oscar broadcast last night. It was interesting (and kind'a cool) that they did NOT emphasize the amp-thing... just billed her as "a supermodel."

Cherylm - I thought it started this week, but I have looked high & low in my TV guide & can't find it anywhere so here's hoping it is the 19th. :P

Can't wait to see it!! I usually never miss that show...they were telling about it on ET, but didn't get the date..anyway, she has no hesitation in walking...in fact you wouldn't know she was an amputee if you didn't know it. ;)

Leave it to the media......

There's apparently betting going on as to whether or not Heathers’ leg will go flying on ‘Stars’, :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17577784/

Susan

Leave it to the media......

There's apparently betting going on as to whether or not Heathers’ leg will go flying on ‘Stars’, :ph34r::ph34r::rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17577784/

Susan

Isn't that ridiculous, people have no clue do they? The first time I went to spin class the instructor asked me the same thing. :ph34r: Also, I heard people were complaining that her handicap parking placard should be taken away, I park in handicapped parking, not for distance and not because I can't walk, but for access in and out of the car. Oh, and it's Paulina Porizkova, I think it's cool she's still married to Ocasek after all this time.

Also, I heard people were complaining that her handicap parking placard should be taken away

And then give it back to her when she develops sores on her stump, or a blister on her knee, and can't wear her leg for days or so - as all of us do from time to time.

Here, the rule is that if you can not walk, WITHOUT THE AID OF A BRACE OR A PROSTHESIS, then you are handicapped. Whether you are wearing it at any moment or not is not relevant. How we master that prosthesis is an individual thing. Some climb mountains, engage in triathalons, bike ride - or dance, - and others just work to make it up a curb - but this does not make any of them more or less handicapped.

Try carrying a cup of coffee across the room without the prosthesis on. That's the real test.

I look great for the first 10 - maybe 20 feet, and then my circulaltion is gone, and any further, my heart angina kicks in, and the circulation (lack of) in my legs is gone. But boy for the first 10 - 20 feet people are wondering why I park in the handicapped. (On my really good days, I can even go further.)

There will always be some jerk out there who wants to be the judge. I don't let them. I'll be the judge of whether I need to handicap park or not. Me and rules. If I qualify, and I feel I am being honest about it, then the naysayers can go to ........ Well, you get my point.

If this is Heather's thing, then I say "Go for it". Just like the person climbing mountains, or the athelete competing in triathalons. What ever trips their trigger. Or the amputees trying to navigate a curb for the first time. These are my real heroes.

Guest bearlover

I really don't think I will watch this..I never do anyway, But why dose she (Heather) have to make a issue about her leg? Many amputees do wonderful things but never get noticed because they are a everyday average person. And some amputees only wish they can walk through a mall or super market let alone dance. Not to take away from them amputees who do wonderful things but why make your leg the issue?

I really don't think I will watch this..I never do anyway, But why dose she (Heather) have to make a issue about her leg? Many amputees do wonderful things but never get noticed because they are a everyday average person. And some amputees only wish they can walk through a mall or super market let alone dance. Not to take away from them amputees who do wonderful things but why make your leg the issue?

I think the media is the one making an issue with her leg, not Heather, the media can't leave things sleep, they always have to find something negative. I think it is good however for amputees to see other amputees do certain things, give them encouragement, jusmy opinion from my experiences over the past 40 years being an amputee

The only thing that gets to me is the fact someone with money can go anywhere to have a prosthesis made & have the best looking skin put on & the best parts/foot without even looking @ the price. :( The rest of the working people have to take what we can afford.

This should be available for anyone....no questions asked. Same thing with waiting for appointments...if you are someone important....YOU GET IN IMMEDIATELY...no questions asked. WE ARE IMPORTANT, EVERY ONE OF US. ;) DON'T YOU AGREE?

Sorry, I just had to blow off some steam. Yes, I for one will be watching the show...and I am certainly glad an amputee is on with contestants that aren't. I think it's great for other amps. :)

I also agree w/Tom....I truly believe the media is making a field-day out of this!! Here is one that hopes she does well.

I think the media is the one making an issue with her leg, not Heather, the media can't leave things sleep, they always have to find something negative. I think it is good however for amputees to see other amputees do certain things, give them encouragement, just my opinion from my experiences over the past 40 years being an amputee

I totally agree Tom we need to see what others do to be inspired sometimes, even if it is, as Jim so rightly says, carrying a cup of something across a room. Some of us would like to just be able to get over a curb and others wnat to know what the next adventure will be.

Personally I'd rather hold my leg up and be proud of who I am. My leg is a part of me and always will be. Yep I'm a whole person with or without the leg, but each person is made up of different things. I am part Parent, Spouse, Masseur, and all the little things that makes me who I am. Part of me is also an amputee and I'm kinda proud to be me. :)

Part of me is also an amputee and I'm kinda proud to be me. :)

Yes, this is so true, I always wear shorts when I can, when I lost my leg, after going through all that as well as the learning to walk all over again at age 18, I felt good having achieved that! As far as Heather being able to afford a certain prosthesis, I have always had mine paid for by the VA, so I have been lucky in that way myself, my last leg with skin looked so real it was amazing, Monday I was at the gym with my new "hiTech" looking leg, and one man came up to me and asked if I had my leg amputated just recently, I've been going to that gym for 4 years now, and he never knew I had a prosthesis.

Guest bearlover
The only thing that gets to me is the fact someone with money can go anywhere to have a prosthesis made & have the best looking skin put on & the best parts/foot without even looking @ the price. :( The rest of the working people have to take what we can afford.

This should be available for anyone....no questions asked. Same thing with waiting for appointments...if you are someone important....YOU GET IN IMMEDIATELY...no questions asked. WE ARE IMPORTANT, EVERY ONE OF US. ;) DON'T YOU AGREE?

Sorry, I just had to blow off some steam. Yes, I for one will be watching the show...and I am certainly glad an amputee is on with contestants that aren't. I think it's great for other amps. :)

I also agree w/Tom....I truly believe the media is making a field-day out of this!! Here is one that hopes she does well.

Whether she dose well or not..At least she tried is the thing!