Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Karen

Heather Mills on "Dancing with the Stars"

I'm not sure whether this will be aired in the UK - I hope so as it would be interesting to see.

Sue

Whether she dose well or not..At least she tried is the thing!
Exactly! :)

Sometimes, great :angry: minds think alike. I read what K. had to say, and the word that came to my mind was EXACTLY - then I scrolled down and saw that Tom was thinking the same thing. :lol:

She's willing to try and do her own thing. I have no more reason to be against that, than a two legged person wanting to fly to the moon.

I guess that the only point that I try to make is for some not to hold this up as something that amputees, MUST strive for. If I had two legs, I still would not want to take the time, energy and extreme effort to perfect the proper dance steps - or to learn the proper techniques to climb a mountain, not to mention the endless hours it takes to train and get into condition for.

If this is other peoples thing - then I say "go for it". I just don't want to overlook the everyday folk, who just want to take a walk with their kids, or go grocery shopping - or as I've said before, "climb a curb". For some people this is scary as all get out - and takes extreme bravery on their part.

Now, with all of that said, I intend to sit back and enjoy the show, and root for my home team - meaning, one or our own out there, not being afraid to seek her own goals. (That is - watch it when I can. It is not part of our normal schedule.)

It is my understanding that this lady has spent much of her time wandering the halls of hospitals, watching the wounded and new amputees, just trying to walk - or some semblance of, and offering encouragement. If what I've read is true, then she deserves a few minutes of my time watching her do her thing.

Part of me is also an amputee and I'm kinda proud to be me. :)

Yes, this is so true, I always wear shorts when I can, when I lost my leg, after going through all that as well as the learning to walk all over again at age 18, I felt good having achieved that! As far as Heather being able to afford a certain prosthesis, I have always had mine paid for by the VA, so I have been lucky in that way myself, my last leg with skin looked so real it was amazing, Monday I was at the gym with my new "hiTech" looking leg, and one man came up to me and asked if I had my leg amputated just recently, I've been going to that gym for 4 years now, and he never knew I had a prosthesis.

Tom, what covering do you have? :)

Part of me is also an amputee and I'm kinda proud to be me. :)

Yes, this is so true, I always wear shorts when I can, when I lost my leg, after going through all that as well as the learning to walk all over again at age 18, I felt good having achieved that! As far as Heather being able to afford a certain prosthesis, I have always had mine paid for by the VA, so I have been lucky in that way myself, my last leg with skin looked so real it was amazing, Monday I was at the gym with my new "hiTech" looking leg, and one man came up to me and asked if I had my leg amputated just recently, I've been going to that gym for 4 years now, and he never knew I had a prosthesis.

Tom, what covering do you have? :)

On my new leg, no covering, it's a Harmony, at first I wanted a cover, but have decided it's just fine without. My previous leg had a molded foam cover, looked very real to some, even at the airport the security thought I was wearing a knee brace. :)

Guest bearlover

Sometimes, great :angry: minds think alike. I read what K. had to say, and the word that came to my mind was EXACTLY - then I scrolled down and saw that Tom was thinking the same thing. :lol:

She's willing to try and do her own thing. I have no more reason to be against that, than a two legged person wanting to fly to the moon.

I guess that the only point that I try to make is for some not to hold this up as something that amputees, MUST strive for. If I had two legs, I still would not want to take the time, energy and extreme effort to perfect the proper dance steps - or to learn the proper techniques to climb a mountain, not to mention the endless hours it takes to train and get into condition for.

If this is other peoples thing - then I say "go for it". I just don't want to overlook the everyday folk, who just want to take a walk with their kids, or go grocery shopping - or as I've said before, "climb a curb". For some people this is scary as all get out - and takes extreme bravery on their part.

Now, with all of that said, I intend to sit back and enjoy the show, and root for my home team - meaning, one or our own out there, not being afraid to seek her own goals. (That is - watch it when I can. It is not part of our normal schedule.)

It is my understanding that this lady has spent much of her time wandering the halls of hospitals, watching the wounded and new amputees, just trying to walk - or some semblance of, and offering encouragement. If what I've read is true, then she deserves a few minutes of my time watching her do her thing.

Very valid Jim!

well said, Jim.

Doesn't matter how much you have or have not sent on your prosthesis, having the balls to go in front of television cameras and dance to a high standard with only one leg is what counts.

You got that right, Sparky! However, I think the leg is an issue. It's important that people know she's doing this AND doing it with a prosthetic leg. I sure as heck couldn't do it. I like to watch the show anyway so I will be glued to the TV.

But I also hope that people realize that this is not the norm. Most of us will never achieve half of what she can do but hats off to her for doing it. :)

I'm proud to be who I am too, Cat. That's for making me think about it.

What is Heather's amp? BK or AK? :angry:

I understand that it is a BK Tom.

You're right, Jim, bk.

You're right, Jim, bk.

Thanks Marcia. I thought that was what I had read.

I read an article in People magazine last night about the Dancing with the Stars thing. Heather had a new leg made especially for this and said she also had to reduce her heel height. She said the "heel toe" moves would be the most difficult since she doesn't have a heel and toes and that she will have to make those moves with her hips. I can't wait to see how she does. Go girl!

Today's the day! Being a big fan of dance, I am so excited to see the show and watch Heather perform. I am sure she will do great!!

Today's the day! Being a big fan of dance, I am so excited to see the show and watch Heather perform. I am sure she will do great!!

I watched and voted! I'm really proud of her; She is an inspiration to the community, IMO. :S :D

Susan

I watched and voted! I'm really proud of her; She is an inspiration to the community, IMO. :D

Susan

:D Me too, Susan...she did very well, BUT I sure didn't like her dress :( I know she is not going to wear anything like the gal instructors, but hopefully the next time it will be prettier.

COME ON LADIES & GENTS, VOTE - VOTE - VOTE- WE DO NOT WANT HER TO BE VOTED OFF!!!!!!

Heather was AWESOME!!! I was so nervous watching her bcuz I know the things that can happen but she danced BEEEEAAAAUUUUUTTIFUULLYY!!!!! :P

I can't wait to learn how to dance again!!!!

Bravo, Heather!!!!!

I think she danced wonderfully..... in spite of the horrible costume she had to wear! <_<

The morning hosts of a local radio station were talking yesterday about how people would be watching because they wanted to see Heather's leg fly off. I felt compelled to write them an email letting them know that "a large number of amputees will be watching with pride and admiration because we know how hard it is to achieve what she is doing, and some of us will be inspired to give dancing a try." I also let them know that it is highly unlikely that her leg will fly off since there are sleeves/straps available to keep that from happening. This morning they thanked "the lady who is an amputee who emailed us" for sharing my view, and talked about how blown away they were by her performance.

Hmmmmmm.... I noticed on the ACA convention agenda that they will be offering a ballroom dancing class this year.....great timing, don't you think? :)

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

Hi

For someone who said they don't want any publicity she seems to be on nearly every chat show.

You can make your life more private if you try.

But I hope Heather does well at the dancing.

Pat

WOW!!!!! Heather, You make me so proud of your confidence levels and also your inspritation. And yes, you will make a difference in all the people who are amputeed. I enjoy dancing... and so should everyone else here. Jerry

I thought Heather was wonderful. She danced beautifully and in spite of the "ice cream sundae" costume, she looked gorgeous. I got up today with renewed resolve to be the best that I can be. Someone told me she's going to be on Larry King tonight. Let's all keep voting for her. Woohoo!

Heather is AKA not sure which side maybe R. What I wonder is what tyoe of limb she is wearing or does anyone know waht she wears?

BTW shw will be on Larry King tinight on CNN for anyone interested.

I agree, I don't think the ice cream sundae dress was the nicest, but I think that Heather done an awesome job...very graceful.....I'm looking forward to watching her next time.....

Mostly, I applaud the fact that she had the courage to do it, because, for someone who has just had an amputation in the recent past, it gives them a re-newed outlook. A chance to see her dancing, doing something that they probably think that they won't ever be able to do again. To know that it is possible..

I had the opportunity to get involved with the local radio station this morning too. They done a clip about her making fun of "the peg leg" and saying that there was a back stage contest going on about who "had to dance with the gimp"....... Needless to say, I called and spoke to the dj's of the morning show..

The thing that I resented the most is the fact that they were making so much fun of an amputee. They asked me why I wasn't happy about the clip... Well..... duh....... do you think someone who had just had a leg amputated and heard this crap on the radio is going to be very comfortable hearing it? I know that we all tend to settle in and get comfortable with it, after a time... but, this was just uncalled for.. Their reply was, "why, she's making fun of it?" I can't say (and told them so) that I have heard her make fun of it like that, the way they were doing it.... But of course.... when have you ever known an able bodied person with no familiarity to understand something like that... To them, it's all fun.....What a way to start the day.......geesh.....

BTW, I'm pretty positive that Heather is a LBK...