Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eddie103

:::Conference Value:::

HI All:

I need your input from those who have attended one of these conferences in the past.

I need your opinion as to any value you received from attending a conference, your overall opinion, and any insights your felt as a result of attending a conference.

TX

ED

Hi Ed,

I've gone to the last 2 conferences and I would consider them very valuable. I've been an amputee for 13 years, and the thought of attending a conference never crossed my mind- just didn't think about it. Now, I wish I had started going sooner. I'll list what I found of value:

1. Friendships

2. Classes/Clinics during the conference (Bob Gailey Gait Clinic- one of many).

3. Networking with other amps similar to your own and seeing/hearing what works for them.

4. Meeting and talking with Prosthetists and Vendors from all over.

5. Feeling like you are "in the know" of latest products.

6. Being able to see/touch products, rather than viewing online or in a magazine.

7. Freebies from the Vendors. :lol:

8. Visiting a city that I might not otherwise go to.

9. Being with that many people and not have anyone stare at my leg. :lol:

10. Did I say friendships?

You know, Ed, the good thing is that you can be as involved as you want or as little as you want. There is no pressure to do anything, and you don't have to form friendships if you don't want to- basically you can get out of it what YOU want. Okay, there might be a little bit of pressure to meet up for cocktails, but hey- you won't hear me complaining about that!! :lol:

Maybe it would be interesting to hear from people who have attended and DIDN'T find it valuable.....

Ditto to everything Cheri said. The camraderie (I'm not sure how to spell that) I felt is indescribable. I continue to have very deep feelings for the people I met, especially those from this forum. It's amazing to see all the technology that's out there. The Bob Gailey clinic is awesome.

And the occasional cocktail is nice too.... B)

Hope to see you there.

I've already replied to this on another forum, but I agree with Marcia and Cheri. I had the pleasure of meeting these two loverlies last year.

The Bob Gailey clinic taught me how to run. I will forever be grateful for that.

I've already replied to this on another forum, but I agree with Marcia and Cheri. I had the pleasure of meeting these two loverlies last year.

The Bob Gailey clinic taught me how to run. I will forever be grateful for that.

Hi Neal,

I remember the look on your face when you where running, Priceless.

You did a great job. Bob is one of the best.

eddie,

I don't think that Cheri or Marcia could of put it any better. I too, have been to several of them and haven't left any of them feeling that it was a wasted trip.... As Cheri said, you can be as active or not, it's your choice. The fact that you get to talk to the vendors, handle some of the prosthetics that are out, or coming out, is very educational if you ask me..

As for Bob Gailey's clinic, I attended the full day seminar the first year that I went and have stepped in to watch and observe, at each of the other conferences that I have attended. His lessons can be invaluable to a person. Gait, energy effecient walking , etc.. He makes you think about how the body works and the most effecient way to walk... It really is outstanding....

The camraderie that is there is awesome, but then again, that would be up to you...

To be the "normal" person for a change is very comforting, and as they have said earlier, you get to compare what works with others and what doesn't.. often, coming away with a simple idea that you might not otherwise thought of..

I think the biggest thing for me was the doubts that it quenched.. Before my first conference, I had only met one CP, the one that had built my leg, that my insurance company had sent to the hospital... Was he doing his best, was he skilled enough and up to date on everything.... those were the questions that were the most prevailent to me at the time. I went home assured in the fact that I did indeed have a CP that knew what he was doing and was up to date on the latest technology....

Higgy

I have not been to one but am going this year. I hope, pray, wish I will be walking by then. If I am I will be on Skully my 06, Fatboy id not on the back of Marks Great pumpkin, 07 Road Glide. I look so froward to meeting all. Hey SHane are you going? If I have Skully you can check out the shift.

Skully Cat

I'm glad to hear that you're going, Skully Cat... I'm planning on being there as well and am really lookiing foward to it!

Do we have any idea as to how many of "us" are going to be there this year?

Roll call time....?

Well, we know there are at least two of you going... Jon and I plan on attending but I always hate to say for sure until it is very close to time to go. Things here can change in a heartbeat and there is always the possibility that something will wreck our plans and keep us here...

Cheryl, have you made any of your arrangements yet? I know that at one time, you talked about sharing a room with Judy. Remember, there is a deadline for the reservations at the early bird price too... It's pricey enough without having to pay the added fees...

It's sounding like it will be a fun time as always...

Those of ya'll going are SOOO LUCKY!!!!! I am in Texas and I do not have the transportation or money to go but maybe someday in the future.

Lesley

Well, I'm "official," now... got my registration paid! It's hard to believe that it's almost here... I have NO idea where this year has gone!

See you guys in just over a month!

Cheryl,

I regret to say that I can't attend this year.

Luke's last wishes were for Niki and I to cast his ashes into the sea. I'm spending this year's vacation $$ on that trip.

Next year, YES!, I'll be there! But I'll want a full report when you all return.

Marilyn, I'm sorry we won't be meeting up this year, but you obvously have your priorities straight.

We'll get together yet... and I'm sure everyone will have stories to tell from this year!

Cheryl, yes indeed, I do plan to go to the conference in 2008! As long as I'm in this lifetime and I don't get any surprises!

Yep, Skully, I plan to be there. I can hardly wait to meet everyone! :D

HEY JOHNNY........... I think we're gonna need a bigger table......... :)

Shane, glad to hear that you are going.... it will be nice to meet you too, as well as Cheryl, and any of the others that I haven't met already...

Skully, I look forward to seeing you and Mark again... so does Jon...just don't push too hard.... If walking is too much, there's always crutches or a chair... ( I know, I know.... but, you could always paint flames or skulls on it to make it different!) You have to take care and not push it...

Cheri, Karen, Marcia, Neal, JV, Judy.....see ya all there..............

Marilyn, I'm sorry that you can't make it but I do understand your priorities.....Next year....We will have you there in spirit I'm sure.....

Higgy, make sure to have a drink for me! I wish I could be there, but duty calls...

HEY JOHNNY........... I think we're gonna need a bigger table......... :)

Shane, glad to hear that you are going.... it will be nice to meet you too, as well as Cheryl, and any of the others that I haven't met already...

Skully, I look forward to seeing you and Mark again... so does Jon...just don't push too hard.... If walking is too much, there's always crutches or a chair... ( I know, I know.... but, you could always paint flames or skulls on it to make it different!) You have to take care and not push it...

Cheri, Karen, Marcia, Neal, JV, Judy.....see ya all there..............

Marilyn, I'm sorry that you can't make it but I do understand your priorities.....Next year....We will have you there in spirit I'm sure.....

You know my OCD might come out will my painter get my new W/C flamed if I I have to.

I will know Thursday if the graft took I am so antsy (is that right) I can not stand it. No pun intended.

Ya I am looking forward to meeting all of you, I am dragging my old nurse partner down with me too. She has all her parts but she is cool. She has been with me for all my surgeries and so I said she needed to come with, she may have another calling.

My one year anniversary I am going to be riding or driving in from my home HOG dealer to Fat Daddyz Tats to raise money for ACA and bringing awareness to the community. If I am walking it will be the first time on the road driving that I almost died on, a little freaky.

The HOG chapter want s me leading for the media, I hope I can do it. Wish me luck. I just hope I can walk. I am not sure I will be ready to pull Skully up at 602lbs let alone lead 150 Harleys onto the road I almost died on. Not sure how I am feeling about this but I will if I can.

Oh well of the track again.

Skully Cat