Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nicoler

Snowboarding?

Ok, got a question for ya'll! I am an above knee amputee, but I have excellent motion control. I tried skiing a few years ago but wasn't comfortable with the idea because it required taking my leg off. I'm so comfortable with my leg, that taking it off seemed rediculous. I asked if snowboarding was a possiblity and well, lets just say I got a negative response. If my real leg, left, is on the front of the board, and I have upper control of my leg with a flexible knee, could I do it? Why wouldn't it work? <_<

Nicole

Hi Nicole

I've heard snowboarding is better for AKA's than stand-skiing, and some adaptive schools will be able to teach you. Its a fairly new thing for AKA's but I believe its becoming quite successful. Here are a few inspirational links.

Metal Limbs and Broken Pins

Interview With Lucas Grossi

Best of luck!

Mandy

THANKS for the great links...I was just going to quickly check new postings this morning but got sucked into those websites, really excited to read all that amputees are doing on snowboards! I had put skiing in my box of dreams for after my sugery, and now to think that snowboarding might be an option...it would blow the minds of my three boys! Mandy, thanks for sharing those links! I printed out pages from both, for future reference!

TRY THIS SITE ALSO FOR INFO ON SNOWBOARDING:

http://www.rampro.net

HAS GOOD INFO ON LEGS / FEET / SYSTEMS ETC.

I'M A RBK AMPUTEE AND LOOKED AT THIS SITE FOR LIMBS TO WEAR IN THE SEA FOR BODY BOARDING

GOOD LUCK.

SUE.

Thanks for the articles. I tried snowboarding last march and it was successful, for four hours. That was all my prosthesis could handle. The knee joint fell apart just as I got to my car as a result of all the twisting. My foot doesn't have a flexible joint or anything, but I suppose it could be helpful. I have a lot of control in my left leg and was able to keep the knee from buckling. I have a mauch knee that I can either lock in position, or has a damper buckle effect. I think it worked very well, but I think I'm going to need some type of a twisting element above the knee and a shock absorber.