Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

metal detectors

I know there are many people on this forum who worry about passing through security at airports and concerts and things. I have passed through many security check points and never had a negative experience. I had an especially amusing situation happen last week that I just had to share.....

I live a couple of hours from NYC and last week drove down to see a taping of the show "Live with Regis and Kelly". It is a morning talk show here in the U.S., for those of you not from around these parts. There was tight security, of course, since the audience sits very close to 'the talent'. I was prepared and ready for full disclosure.

The woman in front of me made the metal detector go off, just from her tiny metal earrings, so I knew it might be a bad sign for me. The guards didnt seem to have the wands so I didnt know how hard it would be for me to walk through, when I technically couldnt just remove the offending metal, like they were making others do.

As I walked through, minutes later, I commented to the guard, "I know I'll go off...I have a metal leg..." As I was saying the words I walked, quietly, thru the machine....no buzz, no beeps.

He leaned in, thinking he had not heard me right, and I repeated the phrase, "I have a metal leg...."

He looked mystified, since I had not set off the machine, so I pulled up my pant leg and showed him my big, black ankle/foot.

He looked perplexed then said, "go thru it again..."

I walked through it, then turned around and walked back through it to get back to him...no beep!

He couldnt explain it, but let me go anyway, and as I walked away, the lady behind me set it off...it beeped for the trace amounts of metal in her belt buckle....

Go figure!

So, moral of the story....dont be afraid until a true problem arises....! ;)

Judy

LBK

NY

Thank you. That is just what I needed to know. I haven't flown since I lost my leg 18 years ago. I have always opted to drive, (besides, my wife doesn't like flying). However, we have talked about a flight to California, but have hesitated because of the metal, (minmal), in my leg. I didn't want to go through the hassle of having to take it off.

Maybe I am worrying about a problem that isn't even there. Thank you for sharing.

Jim, I have never had to take my leg off in an airport. When I walk thru and beep, I just tell them I have a prosthetic leg. They give me the option of being wanded (is that a word?) and patted down in private. It doesn't particular bother me so I just sit in the appointed chair out in the open. They have always been courteous and tell me exactly what they're going to do before they do it. In fact, the last few times, I raise my arms before being told and they comment "I guess you already know the drill". I'm glad they do what they need to do to try and keep us safe.

Fly to California. It's really not a big deal.

Yes, things have improved considerably for us at most airports. Althought there was a time when you might be asked to remove the leg, and I recall one episode when an inspector insisted I had to have a "doctor's permission slip to wear a prosthetic", official TSA policy now is that the prosthetic need not be removed. Just tell the people in line you are wearing a prosthetic and need to be hand-inspected and they will do so.

I'm glad they do what they need to do to try and keep us safe.

Isn't that the truth!! I agree. Thank you for the advice. It seems like they keep moving California further and further away, (1750 miles), every time that we go (every couple of years or so). Couldn't be our age, so they must be moving it. :D

Next time, we are talking about flying. Thanks again for the help.

I have flown between UK and USA several times and each time I have just told them before I go through and they have patted me down. As mmarie said they have always offered somewhere private (although i don't bother) and have always said what they are going to do before they do it - it's really no hassle.

Sue

I know there are many people on this forum who worry about passing through security at airports and concerts and things. I have passed through many security check points and never had a negative experience. I had an especially amusing situation happen last week that I just had to share.....

I live a couple of hours from NYC and last week drove down to see a taping of the show "Live with Regis and Kelly". It is a morning talk show here in the U.S., for those of you not from around these parts. There was tight security, of course, since the audience sits very close to 'the talent'. I was prepared and ready for full disclosure.

The woman in front of me made the metal detector go off, just from her tiny metal earrings, so I knew it might be a bad sign for me. The guards didnt seem to have the wands so I didnt know how hard it would be for me to walk through, when I technically couldnt just remove the offending metal, like they were making others do.

As I walked through, minutes later, I commented to the guard, "I know I'll go off...I have a metal leg..." As I was saying the words I walked, quietly, thru the machine....no buzz, no beeps.

He leaned in, thinking he had not heard me right, and I repeated the phrase, "I have a metal leg...."

He looked mystified, since I had not set off the machine, so I pulled up my pant leg and showed him my big, black ankle/foot.

He looked perplexed then said, "go thru it again..."

I walked through it, then turned around and walked back through it to get back to him...no beep!

He couldnt explain it, but let me go anyway, and as I walked away, the lady behind me set it off...it beeped for the trace amounts of metal in her belt buckle....

Go figure!

So, moral of the story....dont be afraid until a true problem arises....! ;)

Judy

LBK

NY

I have never had anything at the airport go off but one of our local libraries is apparently afraid that someone is going to escape with a book. I don't set the metal detector off but my spinal cord stimulator implant takes a jolt from that thing that nearly puts me on the ground.

JudyH

I bet that doesn't feel too good :o

Ive only ever beeped in charles de gaulle (paris) and been searched in JFK (but not because i beeped i think i was just randomly picked!)

x

Regulations for Passengers with Disabilities can be found here:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/disabled.htm

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/horizons.htm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds

When I fly, I allow for additional time due to the added screening requirements as an amputee. While I normally travel in short, so that the prosthetic limb is obvious, when traveling in slacks, I raise my pants leg and show them the leg when they tell me to remove my shoes. I don't have a cosmetic covering on my prosthesis, so a quick show like that is possible.

While I have offered to remove my prosthesis for their review (locking pin mechanism is nice for these moments), I have never had to remove it. I don't believe they are allowed to request it to be removed, unless there are other indicators to make them believe there are problems.

Note, they normally will rub a small cotton swab over your prosthesis and run a quick analysis of it to check for explosive residue.

Hope this helps

Ron King

Welcome to the forum Ron. Good to see you here. I'm sure you will be an asset to this forum.

Hi

Each time I have flown I have no trouble and I am in my wheelchair with my leg on I just tell them about my leg and they have me put my arm's in the air and just go over me with a wand.

But sometimes the wheelchair is push through and no alarm goes off.

My husband walks through with loose Chang in is pocket and all hell is let loose.

Just the luck of the draw.

Pat

The first time I flew post-amp, one of my leg guys put me in touch with another of his BKA patients who works as a TSA Security Supervisor at LAX... talk about being able to get a specialized point of view!

He verified what people have reported here regarding the checkpoints and metal detector, private screenings, keeping your limb on during inspection, etc... He also told me that, while the vast majority of screeners are very polite and considerate, if at ANY time I felt I was being hassled by a screener, I should ask them to STOP the screening immediately and call for a supervisor. (In fact, he made a point of finding out who the supervisor on duty would be in my terminal at the time of my flight, so I could ask BY NAME. Isn't it nice that we look after our own? :D )

I've never yet had a problem flying with my leg... in fact, I had MORE problems during the time they were trying to save my foot and I was going about in various casts, braces, and adaptive footwear!

I have beeped at BWI, Charlotte, and Tampa airports. The only airports I have been through. All of the times they sent this nice lady to check it out and patted me down and all of that. I was like 'I wear a prothesis...' and they said ok and everything was fine.

And the fact that you went to see Regis and Kelly, I am beyond jealous. My mother will be too. We love that show!!!

I have never had any problems either apart from been wanded!!! although recently I have been told I need hearing aids and my sister (my travelling partner) said she will have to think twice about travelling with me as there will be more of me on the confayor belt than going though those security gates LOL

Siobhan

I have always been okay (apart from when I got whisked off in Majorca with my nan and i refused to admit i was related or tell them i had a false leg - that was about 20 years ago tho!)

I have just flown from the UK to America and I just explained why I had beeped and they just patted me down and did the cotton swap thing accross my hand on one flight. Staff were always polite and friendly and like the others I was raising my arms before they even asked! I only got took aside once at Paris where I got taken to a cubicle to show the top of my leg to prove my honesty and even that was fine.