Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ali.hall

Triathlon

Hey there everyone. As some of you may be aware, I am going to Vietnam with my course in the summer and, to help raise money we are organising a class triathlon, for some mad reason :D. This is a pretty big undertaking (especially for an RBK) as it is a 1.5km swim, 40km cycle and 10km run. It is happening on 21st April in Glasgow.

Anyway this is a bit away yet, so training is happening day in, day out at the minute but there isn't too much to report on. I was more just wondering, does anyone know of any more official triathlon events for disabled athletes that I can train for in a maybe a few years time. I think this would give me a goal as I don't usually have one when I train and it doesn't motivate you very much. Even if someone knows who I can get in touch with it would be great, cheers for any help.

If this is in the wrong forum sorry but feel free to move it. I will hopefully have an accomplishment at the end of the whole blummin' thing.

I can't help I'm afraid, but just wanted to say really well done for committing yourself to such an achievement... good luck!

I will hopefully have an accomplishment at the end of the whole blummin' thing.

:o Oh for sure! I will keep your official nutter badge handy.....don't forget to post pics!

:)

Thanks guys. Just to show people what I can do is what is driving me on, should have loads of pictures at the end of it. Would love to have something to aim for afterwards, might try for a marathon in the years to come, work my way up obviously. Anyway first things first and all that :D

Good luck and im looking forward to seeing pics.

raven

Once I got out of school, and then the army, I rarely got involved in any kind of sports, even when I had two legs. I'm impressed that you would do this - especially for the cause that you are doing.

Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing of your journey when you get back.

You take care now.

Ali

Good luck!! I'll see what I can find. There has to be some out there. Of course, you could train for a regular triathlon of which there are lots.

Think about it! ;) ;)

Thanks Gil, the first web site is bang on what I think. I'm not disabled so when I aim to do this in the same time as an able bodied person there is no reason why not, and at the minute it looks like I should be able to.

I look on it that I have an advantage - everyone else gets blisters on their feet (especially the arch), I can only get them on one foot :D

My real skill is in the pool, I wont be beaten in it. I plan to be first off the bike and then see how the run goes.

Good Luck although I'm sure you won't need it. I have been trying to get fitter but I know I couldn;t manage anything like that. keep us posted preferably with piccies.

Sue

Will give you a training update. I pushed myself very hard today and managed to do 1.5km swimming and 40km on the exercise bike. Am paying for it now though. Only 5 weeks till the event, training is going full steam ahead. Never been so fit in my life, with or without leg :D

Ali, what are you doing hanging around on here when you should be training. :D Wished we lived closer I would have had you wishing you could die and go to hell just for relief. :D I coached a swim team for a few years and became an ASA official for a bit. I also worked with the local triathlon teams.

My hats off to you, well done for giving it a go. If you have done the training you won't need luck ;)

If I keep the triathlons going I may need your assistance in years to come then. I am a strong swimmer but not very efficient, could probably do with a few lessons to get better.

The triathlon is tomorrow, I have my isotonic drinks and water ready, carb. gels primed for action, shorts and top freshly washed and all the ceterus pumped up and raring to go. Hopefully it will all go well tomorrow, sub 3 hours 30 minutes will be good for me I think. It all depends how much I can run after the cycle and the swim, which I know I can do in 2 hours, a bit longer if wet and windy as forecast. Well fingers crossed I suppose.

Good luck for tommorrow - let us know how it goes.

The event was today and my aim was to finish it in 4 hours.

The swim was unusually terrible for me, I had no rhythm but managed to get it done in 45 minutes, not bad. The cycle went great for me. The wind picked up at the half way point and my legs were ready to drop off and my thighs were on killing, but all in all, managed to do the cycle in 1 hour 30 minutes, a good time. After getting off the bike my thighs were on fire and my left knee was bucked. I fought on through this and managed 1 hour 20 minutes. So when you take in change overs I managed a time of 3 hours 45 minutes. That is a great result for me, I was so proud of what I did, not bad for a one legged man. My stump is a bit sore but nothing a good nights sleep preceded by several pints wont fix, my other muscles are still tight, need to stretch a bit.

Over all the whole class finished, in varying times and the day was a great success. And there now, I had the best shower ever :D I am wrecked now, but get to watch my brother run the London marathon tomorrow, he is aiming for sub-3 hours. His best so far is 3 hours 4 minutes. Go him :D

I must admit I knew I had done well when my brother told me how proud he was of me, made it all worth while.

I must admit I knew I had done well when my brother told me how proud he was of me, made it all worth while.

Ali

We're all proud of you too! It must have been a great experience.

Waiting for pictures.

Well done Ali,

You have ever right to be proud this is one hell of an achievement look forward to meeting you when you pop down to Northumberland…………………..take care & hope your not aching too much tomorrow.

That is great Ali. I'm proud of you. See, I knew you could do it!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting for pictures..

Thanks guys, really means a lot.

You never know, in my years to come a young devastated new amputee might come to me to be fitted, thinking their life is over and I can tell them about it. It is a nice thought.

Well done. Looking forward to those pics.

Oh, did you wear THE HAT??

:P