Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
nettie

Weighing yourself-with or without prosthetic???

Hey everyone!

I have a question for the ladies (or gentlemen if they have an opinion!). When you weigh yourself, is it with or without your prosthetic on? Do you add the extra weight of your prosthetic and use it as your normal weight? Or do you use the weight when it is off? I would appreciate any input your guys have about the subject! Thanks!

Nettie

( I havent filled out my profile yet...but I am a LBK, in case anyone is interested) ;)

Hello Nettie. Welcome. I always have an opinion - if not, then I'll make one up. Okay? :lol: (Never advice though - well, almost never).

Seriously though. During the first, oh, maybe 4 to 5 years, I always weighed with my leg off. It was difficult standing on one leg without something to hold on to, but seemed like the right thing to do. Where I ever got that idea, I don't know. :rolleyes:

My leg all total, weighs around 3 pounds, (RBKA) - about the same as the one that they removed. One day, instead of weighing after my shower, with my leg off, I waited until I stated dressing in the morning and weighed with it on - and have been doing it that way ever since - about 13 years now.

I guess it just took me that long to consider my prosthetic leg just another part of me - who knows. I don't know why I ever thought of doing it any other way. No big deal

I weigh with mine on. I started attending Weight Watchers several months ago (successfully, I'm happy to say) and some of my friends there said I should weigh with my leg off. I explained to them if I had a leg it would weigh something. :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Guest bearlover

Funny you should ask..I just went to the Dr, and I told them to subtract about 4 lbs for the prosthetic. With my shoe I think it weighs about 4 to 41/2 pounds. At home I do weigh myself without the prosthetic on. it is a balanceing act!

Hi

Welcome! I started Slimming World before I received my prosthetic limb so was always weighed without. Once I had my leg I weighed that with my socks etc so I knew around about what my overall weight would be. Now when I go every week I just get weighed. If for whatever reason I have to go without my leg, they can just subtract what that weighed, which was 4 1/2 lb including my shoe.

Lisa

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I guess its different for everyone! A friend of mine told me a funny story though when I told her about my dilemma. Remember Jerry Mcguire and "the human head weighs 8lbs?" She saw a comedian that said she felt better when she heard that because now she could subtract 8lbs from her weight and it wasn't so bad then!!! :lol: I love it!

Funny you should ask..I just went to the Dr, and I told them to subtract about 4 lbs for the prosthetic. With my shoe I think it weighs about 4 to 41/2 pounds. At home I do weigh myself without the prosthetic on. it is a balanceing act!

Its a crazy balancing act...but for some reason I feel better doing it that way! Thanks :D

I always weigh with my leg on as it is changes in weight that I am more interested in rather than an absolute total. I do have to be careful though which leg I am wearing as one weighs just over 3lbs and the other almost 5lbs - I tend to try and always use the lighter one as it has a flat foot and I think makes it easier.

In answer to nettie's question the lighter one is the one for sports and has no real covering, the heavier one is my everyday leg with a covering and also the adjustable ankle which is what I think really makes the difference.

Sue

G'day Nettie and welcome to the Forum.

I've always weighed myself with my leg "on".....the reason being that any sort of wobble on the scales gives a false reading. Under NO circumstances do I want to see that damn number go UP :lol:

I always weight with the leg on. However, I have noticed that it seems to go from 4 pounds to 8 pounds and then back down from time to time.

Any know what could be causing this? :ph34r:

-Bill

I always weight with the leg on. However, I have noticed that it seems to go from 4 pounds to 8 pounds and then back down from time to time.

Any know what could be causing this? :ph34r:

-Bill

Bill. That's due to the hydo-whatchamacallits rubbing up agains the doowhigee's causing a rise in the molecules which increase the weight dramatically. Despite what you may have been led to believe, it has absolutely,.....I repeat, absolutely nothing to do with any weight gain. Absolutely Not!! :ph34r: :D

I know these things. :)

I usually weigh myself with the limbs on, however, I have weighed the limbs previously, so always know roughly how much they weigh, so can tell if I have lost, or put on (usually the case) any weight, and also know how much my actual body weight is.

Thanks, Jim. I was sure it couldn't be the non-artificial part of me that was gaining weight.

:D :D ;)

--Bill

:lol: :lol: i weigh with mine on unless i had a busy social week and KNOW i've gained weight, that way i can kid myself that i didn't put anything on :P

I do not use the standard scales to weigh myself. I have a speaking monitor in the house, every now and then my wife will say lose some weight you fat slob. :D

I guess I never even thought about getting weighed without my prosthesis..maybe I will try it. :lol: I guess it's worth a try to lose a pound or two.

;)

I do not use the standard scales to weigh myself. I have a speaking monitor in the house, every now and then my wife will say lose some weight you fat slob. :D

lmao :lol:

All prosthetic limbs weigh differently, depending on components, foams etc.

I am bilateral and both my limbs are different weights, I even have the same type which are different weights. Your centre should have scales you can sit in, with legs on or off, so you can weigh yourself or/and weigh the legs. Don't forget the weight of certain types of liners.

I just make sure I know how much the limbs weigh. But there again, you might want to check again after alterations to the limbs etc.

Hi

My leg doesn't have a cover on it, it's basically a metal pole with a foot on it. It's better for me to get weighed with my leg on as I am trying to lose weight and this gives me my whole weight. I obviously don't know what my real leg weighed but it gives me an idea.

As for Sparky that made me laugh. My other half is too frightened to comment on my weight, infact every week we go through the same routine where we guess how much I have lost.

Cheers

I think you should consider the reason you're needing to know your weight. For example, you have weigh a minimum of 50kg's to donate blood. If you're under that weight without your prosthetic, you're out of the game.

I think you should consider the reason you're needing to know your weight. For example, you have weigh a minimum of 50kg's to donate blood. If you're under that weight without your prosthetic, you're out of the game.

You're only out of that game (blood donation). Personally, I prefer petite women. :ph34r::ph34r:

I weigh myself leg and all, just because it's much more convenient. If I weigh more then I'm sure its me and not the leg. Of course, I only have the one so it always is the same weight.

I also think that daily weighing is a waste of time. There are so many variables. I've gone from 230 through 110 (in hospital) to about 185. Just saw my Doc and he says I'm probably good for another 30 years. :angry: :P :ph34r:

Hey everyone!

I have a question for the ladies (or gentlemen if they have an opinion!). When you weigh yourself, is it with or without your prosthetic on? Do you add the extra weight of your prosthetic and use it as your normal weight? Or do you use the weight when it is off? I would appreciate any input your guys have about the subject! Thanks!

Nettie

( I havent filled out my profile yet...but I am a LBK, in case anyone is interested) ;)

Hi Nettie :D

Most of your body weight is in your legs, so weighing yourself is 'horses for courses'. If you just need to know if you've gained or lost weight, you wear your prosthesis.

If, however, you need to know exactly how much you really weigh (e.g, if you're having a general anaesthetic & they need to know your exact weight) then you weigh yourself on scales wearing your prosthesis and then subtract the weight of your prosthesis (your prosthetist can weigh it for you). Or you can have yourself weighed sitting down, without your prosthesis at your limb centre (as Ann said).

Btw, foam won't have much effect on the weight of your limb as it's not a dense material. Most of the weight of your prosthesis is in the components. Different limbs & components weigh dufferent amounts; both my prostheses together weight approx 14 pounds & I heard a few weeks ago that someone's c-leg weighed 16 pounds! :angry:

Lizzie :)

PS Somewhere I've got a link to an online BMI calculator for amps, if you're interested. Although, it's a bit 'mean' on the calculations...my BMI is 21 and it says I'm overweight! :o

Thanks for the input! I was out of town so I am just catching up with everyone's posts. I didn't think about a lot of these things before, so they're good to know!!!!

And I wanted to say thank you all for the answers and support!!! Its nice to have a place to ask these things!!! :)

Nettie

Hi Nettie :D

Most of your body weight is in your legs, so weighing yourself is 'horses for courses'. If you just need to know if you've gained or lost weight, you wear your prosthesis.

If, however, you need to know exactly how much you really weigh (e.g, if you're having a general anaesthetic & they need to know your exact weight) then you weigh yourself on scales wearing your prosthesis and then subtract the weight of your prosthesis (your prosthetist can weigh it for you). Or you can have yourself weighed sitting down, without your prosthesis at your limb centre (as Ann said).

Btw, foam won't have much effect on the weight of your limb as it's not a dense material. Most of the weight of your prosthesis is in the components. Different limbs & components weigh dufferent amounts; both my prostheses together weight approx 14 pounds & I heard a few weeks ago that someone's c-leg weighed 16 pounds! :blink:

Lizzie :)

PS Somewhere I've got a link to an online BMI calculator for amps, if you're interested. Although, it's a bit 'mean' on the calculations...my BMI is 21 and it says I'm overweight! :o