Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
nettie

Weighing yourself-with or without prosthetic???

I just spent the earlier part of this week in the hospital, (Darn heart attack). Before going into surgery, (angioplasty and stent placement), they weighed me - WITHOUT MY LEG. My blood pressure was so high (277), that they had to really work to get it down, and need the exact weight calculated for the medicine.

What I found interesting, that the hospital beds are able to weigh you now. I've never seen that before.

Golly - Been to a barn raisn', hog callin' and a county fair, but I ain't never seen nuthin like that. :P

I just spent the earlier part of this week in the hospital, (Darn heart attack). Before going into surgery, (angioplasty and stent placement), they weighed me - WITHOUT MY LEG. My blood pressure was so high (277), that they had to really work to get it down, and need the exact weight calculated for the medicine.

What I found interesting, that the hospital beds are able to weigh you now. I've never seen that before.

Golly - Been to a barn raisn', hog callin' and a county fair, but I ain't never seen nuthin like that. :P

You learn something new everyday, don't you, Jim? :)

I hope your surgery goes really well for you and that you're soon 'back up & running.' :D

Lizzie :)

I sure hate to hear of the "glitch" in your schedule. Hope you're feeling better and you'll soon be back to normal (whatever that is) :)

Nettie

I was always told it was better to weigh yourself without your prosthesis on. Because it does add to your normal weight.

I really have a question for women though, I have been gaining weight,

, I feel like I can eat all the time, but when I went to the doctor, I had my heavy shoes on my feet and I weighed with my leg on, and I was a little overweight....but I have been eating like a horse, and I am just gaining so much weight on the birth control stuff, but I just dont excercise enough.

I was just wondering if anyone had any of the same problems.

Lesley

Lizzie and Marcia, thanks for your comments. I'm doing just fine. I'm back home now, and feel like I've "Been rode hard and put up wet", (as we used to say), but the chest pain is gone, and life goes on. Normal for me is busy at one thing or another. To continue, with the metaphor, - I'm not ready to "ride into the sunset - yet.

Where I was going with the bed weighing thing, was the comments that Lizzie made earlier about some times exact measurements needed to be taken. This was one of those cases.

Other than that, everything is relative. With or without a leg - or clothes - or shoes - whatever, as long as you weigh dressed, (or undressed), the same each time, If you are 10 lbs more than last time, then you know that you have gained weight - and vice versa. The exact amount is irrelevant.

I don't pay an awful lot of attention to weight. Some would say that I've gained a few pounds, but on the other hand, if I were to lose a bunch people would ask me if I was sick. Besides - at my age, it would just cause all of the wrinkles to stand out more. :P

As long as I am comfortable with myself, (which I am), and somewhere in the ball park of where I should be, then I'm okay. I'm not too heavy - or skinny. I'm just me, and I like me. (I Yam What I Yam). If others don't - then that's their problem.

Jeez, Jim

"277", you must have been ready to explode!

Glad you're feeling better. I can relate to the "being rode hard and put up wet" part.

They have weight chairs,too. I've been to a barn raisn', hog callin' and a county fair also but I'm one up on ya', I've been to a real clam-bake in Maine. Relly finger-lickin' good.

Jeez, Jim

"277", you must have been ready to explode!

Glad you're feeling better. I can relate to the "being rode hard and put up wet" part.

They have weight chairs,too. I've been to a barn raisn', hog callin' and a county fair also but I'm one up on ya', I've been to a real clam-bake in Maine. Relly finger-lickin' good.

I've missed the clam-bake in Maine, but I've been Grunion Hunting in California. Now I know that you will know what I am talking about, but I'll bet that not many others will.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, 277 really suprised me too. I've never seen that before. 150-160 range is my normal, which in itself is high, but I've always been a class A personality, and that comes with the territory.

Nettie

I was always told it was better to weigh yourself without your prosthesis on. Because it does add to your normal weight.

, I feel like I can eat all the time, but when I went to the doctor, I had my heavy shoes on my feet and I weighed with my leg on, and I was a little overweight....but I have been eating like a horse, and I am just gaining so much weight on the birth control stuff, but I just dont excercise enough.

Lesley

Hi Lesley

I really piled the weight on while I was in the wheelchair. I went up 3 dress sizes (chest & hips) and my waist increased by 9 inches. This was through lack of exercise and my medication. It's taken me since August to lose 17lbs and it is such a long process. This may sound strange but the thigh on the side of the stump has alot more cellulite and my butt cheek is significantly bigger than the other. I was hoping to be the same size as I was by this Saturday but I was obviously being unrealistic. I am a slimming world member and I have to restrict myself with what I eat because I don't walk or exercise as much as other people.

Lisa

Jim, so sorry you are under the weather :( I know where you are comming from though...I had four stents put in last year...it does take some time to recoup. With blood pressure like that :angry: definately good they finally have it down in the normal range.

I don't know if this happens to everyone, but after my surgery, I went into depression...if you do...DO NOT WAIT TO ASK FOR SOME HELP... ;)

Glad you are better.

:) ann

I did have, when I was on the Pill. :angry: Although I think it depends upon how you react to the medication - I didn't get on with the synthetic progesterone. <_<

Lizzie :)

Jim, so sorry you are under the weather :( I know where you are comming from though...I had four stents put in last year...it does take some time to recoup. With blood pressure like that :blink: definately good they finally have it down in the normal range.

I don't know if this happens to everyone, but after my surgery, I went into depression...if you do...DO NOT WAIT TO ASK FOR SOME HELP... ;)

Glad you are better.

Gee Ann - That is really sweet of you. Thank you very much. Fortunaltely, depression has never been a problem with me, (I just get pissed sometimes :angry: ), but I am well aware of how it does affect many of us.

I know that all of us can be grateful that we do have each other here to fall back on. I wish that I knew about this 18 years ago - but.........I know about it now, so that's all that counts.

Thanks again.

Jim, so sorry you are under the weather :( I know where you are comming from though...I had four stents put in last year...it does take some time to recoup. With blood pressure like that :angry: definately good they finally have it down in the normal range.

Glad you are better.

Gee Ann - That is really sweet of you. Thank you very much. Fortunaltely, depression has never been a problem with me, (I just get pissed sometimes :rolleyes: ), but I am well aware of how it does affect many of us.

I know that all of us can be grateful that we do have each other here to fall back on. I wish that I knew about this 18 years ago - but.........I know about it now, so that's all that counts.

Thanks again.

Jim, hope you are feeling better. I can also relate to the "being rode hard and put up wet" part. Look after yourself, I for one will need your input for a long time yet. :D