Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
terrih69

travel crutches

I don't think the wooden dowel idea would work well here. Much easier to simply remove the entire spring tip assembly. The spring tip end has a standard 3/4" diameter, and the outer tube has a standard 1" diameter. The easiest and most solid option is to remove any extraneous spring tip parts and put a 1" tip on.

First pull off the 3/4" tip, then pull off the cap on the 1" tube. They use a cyanoacrylate glue on this cap - so it will pull off with just a bit of force. Under the cap, there is a roll pin you need to punch out. This will allow you to remove the spring assembly. Now you just have to clean the CA residue off the 1" tube and use your favorite 1" tip.

mil_mod01.JPG

mil_mod02.JPG

mil_mod03.JPG

mil_mod04.JPG

mil_mod05.JPG

mil_mod06.JPG

Sorry, if you're from one of those sensible countries that uses a proper system of units, you want to use your favorite 25mm tip. (1 inch = 25.4mm)

Jim, your right, any modification would void any warranty that would be on the crutches. I had thought about the dowel rod, and I'm not sure if the dowel rod would work. Might try that though, before being as drastic as punching out that roll pin.

Ok, Austin, just for clarification all the way around... (it's early and I haven't had any coffee yet! :blink::blink: ).... You just remove the 3/4 inch tip section completely right? I had sort of thought of the same thing, I just hadn't had enough time to bother with them. The compression of the tips wasn't something that I especially like, but wasn't high on the priority list either since I only use this set of crutches when I travel.

Thanks for the pictures, is makes for awesome details. Very easily understood.

Higgy - yes, that's basically what you're doing. The whole spring tip is the 3/4" section. Pull that out (and get rid of all the guts) and put a 1" tip on what's left.