Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Woffa

Above Knee Amputee Cyclists

Are there any above knee amputees out there who cycle and could provide a little advice on how they set their leg and bike up?

hiya i do ride a bike my self with a toe clip

I basicly have a total knee and when i wear my leg i wear it a little inwards to the bike (ps i am a right above knee amp)

but i do have two bikes one is electric assisted and one is a mountain style bike

i use the electric more due to my health but to be honest this should change as i am getting fiter and fiter each mth

Hi Woffa. I am a LAK and I returned to riding a bike soon after my amputation (Aug 2005). I use clip type pedals and have no problems getting clicked in or out. It is a good idea to have a shorter crank on your affected side and to lower the seat low enough to allow you to put your good foot down when you stop. Visit www.amputeesacrossamerica.com and click the button for Amputee Bicycle Guide. Joe Sapere has put together a good guide to riding with both AK and BK. There is also a list of previous riders with e-mail addresses if you have any further questions. Here you will find a list of all types of methods of attaching your leg to the pedals. You might also have to play around with your prostist in order to line up the foot fro biking that does not affect walking. You are also welcome to PM if you would like.

Welcome to the forum Abel sounds like you are just the person we need. :D

Cat

Cat

Thank You Cat. I guess I should post an introduction. I have just been lurking since I joined two days ago. Really enjoy this forum.

Cat

Thank You Cat. I guess I should post an itroduction. I have just been lurking since I joined two days ago. Really enjoy this forum.

Be careful with Abel!, LOL, just kidding! Glad you got registered Abel, now we have two NM's here!

Bikes with electric assist...any links or webpages available?

Btw....any ideas to fic a size 15 foot on the pedal? I donĀ“t want to use a clic pedal. I am more a touristic biker.

Ciao

Thomas