Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ali.hall

Happiest time of the year for me

I think tomorrow will signal the start of my shorts wearing season. This is my favourite time of year because once again I wont be able to walk down the street with everyone starring at me. Unless it is cold or wet, I might give it a wee while then.

How are you guys at wearing shorts then, do you mind the body image aspect of a prosthesis or does it not raise an issue, I am always interested to hear peoples opinion on this one. I personally could never wear a foam covering on my leg any more, after getting rid of the one on my current leg.

Guest bearlover

Personally I do not wear shorts and never have..Since I have always had a heavy metal leg brace on my leg all my life before I lost the leg. So Iam very use to people looking at me. Since I had that leg amputated almost 4 years ago. I still don't feel comfortable in shorts...I do wear capries that are slightley below the knee, when I sit they go up a little and you can see my socket..I don't like attention and don't want any..So I don't wear shorts. :)

I wear shorts at least part of every day of year

I've worn shorts right from the first... so much easier than dealing with slacks. For work, however, it's slacks, capris, of the occasional skirt.

My first year after the amp I was aware of being stared at... of course, I spent part of that year in a wheelchair with my stump propped up, and then lumbering about on my ever-larger socket, which occasionally rotated so that my foot was pointing straight out sideways! Once I stopped shrinking enough to keep a socket that fit right and could walk well, most folks stopped staring and I stopped caring about the rest.

As for the cosmesis issue... well, I remain "torn." My leg guys do a lovely job on my coverings, and for work and formal occasions I like having a leg that doesn't call attention to itself. But for more casual times, I'd love to have a snazzy laminated socket and a "stripped down" leg!

Maybe I need a wardrobe of legs for various occasions...??

Is always an option :D

I will try and get a picture of me in shorts tomorrow, the ceterus is great for them, looks pretty futuristic and makes people wonder how on earth it works.

Hello Ali:

I don't often write anymore on this site but I always read it.

For the first time in my life I walked in shorts on the edge of the beach, meaning along in the water! We took a trip to Mexico and had the most amazing time. I took Scuba diving, they taught me in the pool, so I had to take my leg off, poolside, where there were a lot of people. I done a Canopy tour, that is when you repel from tree to tree. You name it we done it and it was the first time in my life I didn't give a damn about my leg. I didn't have the cosmetic cover on it and the freedom I felt was amazing. And I found that people look up to you! the people that talked to me thought I was very brave LOL, I've spent my life trying to hide it.

I wish I had felt that way a few years ago.

Try it Ali, yes people stare, but they think you are very brave, so be proud that you not sitting in a wheelchair at home and missing life.

I hope I didn't come on too strong, but this has been the best time in my life, in just two weeks!!! I am never going to hide it again. I'm not going to wear pants that make me too hot in the Summer again, I'M WEARING SHORTS!!

Believe me this is BIG for me

Sincerely,

Lynne

Canada

I think tomorrow will signal the start of my shorts wearing season. This is my favourite time of year because once again I wont be able to walk down the street with everyone starring at me. Unless it is cold or wet, I might give it a wee while then.

How are you guys at wearing shorts then, do you mind the body image aspect of a prosthesis or does it not raise an issue, I am always interested to hear peoples opinion on this one. I personally could never wear a foam covering on my leg any more, after getting rid of the one on my current leg.

That's wonderful, Lynne! Sounds like it WAS "big for you"... and a really good time!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

I love wearing shorts, if only we had the weather more often for it.

I love the feeling when I go swimming, out swim everyone in the pool and then at the end, get out and hop to get my leg, while everyone is watching and seeing that just because I don't have a leg, doesn't mean I can't beat them in the pool :D When I was working with kids in America I used to help teach swimming and they all thought they could swim faster than me because I was missing my leg, they were soon taught :D

Is always an option :D

I will try and get a picture of me in shorts tomorrow, the ceterus is great for them, looks pretty futuristic and makes people wonder how on earth it works.

Ali, can you not just show us a picture of your leg, and build us up slowly to a full picture of you in shorts :D

Try it Ali, yes people stare, but they think you are very brave, so be proud that you not sitting in a wheelchair at home and missing life.

I hope I didn't come on too strong, but this has been the best time in my life, in just two weeks!!! I am never going to hide it again. I'm not going to wear pants that make me too hot in the Summer again, I'M WEARING SHORTS!!

Believe me this is BIG for me

Bravo! Lynne

I wear shorts. My leg is covered but I wore them when it wasn't. For some reason, I found it very empowering. It is an individual thing. Before I got my prosthetic, the first time I put on shorts I started crying and took them off. It was very upsetting. I think it just takes time to get used to your "look". Like you, Cheryl, I like the cover for skirts and dresses but I would love to have a cool socket like Ally's for everyday. I think we need SEVERAL legs. The trick is getting them.

Marcia, I think there's a HUGE difference between shorts "with" a prosthesis and shorts "without"... especially in the beginning! I had to wear shorts for physical therapy while I was in rehab... most of the time I was fine with it, but the one time I DID break down and cry was in the gym one day, pre-prosthesis. I was sitting in a wheelchair, stump propped up on a pillow, looking at myself in the mirror.

Now I'd been working with that mirror for several days, and it had never bothered me... but I had been STANDING, learning how to get around one-legged on a walker. Seeing myself in that chair, in my shorts, with my bandaged stump staring at me in the reflection was just too much: I broke down and bawled.

I think you're right... we do eventually find our "style" and figure out what sort of statement we want to make. I know, for me, it's extremely important that I do what I want to do, with or without the leg... and that I am the one in control of my leg! I just spent a couple of nights in the hospital, and I'm afraid that I got a little "prickly" whenever one of the nurses would ask me if I needed them to help me don or doff my leg. This is MY leg, and I take care of it! And yet, I know there are people -- especially while hospitalized -- who would apprecite that assistance. It's just not "me"... kind of like Ali hopping out of the pool!

I personally prefer shorts in warm weather. I don't have a cover and don't intend to get one.

Right now I'm in long pants cause I have another (hopefully) minor infection in my stump so I'm back

in the WC (oops, WheelChair) just now.

I've never tried capris or skirts, but that might be a solution. No one would be staring at my leg!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-1850-1175043115_thumb.jpg

Coincidence... my first short wearing day of the year was yesterday, the sun came out and the temperature went up (tempararily I think, unfortunately)... I don't have a cover on the leg and don't even think about it anymore... what people have said is true, I've found it empowering.

Any time the temp is over 60 you'll see shorts on me. I can't stand the heat. I catch people's eyes looking at the leg, but don't let that bother me. It is what I am.

Hi Ali

Shorts , yep I wear them as often as possible , I have no cover on my leg , and don’t ever think that I would want one, as for people looking again I have no problems, in fact I have yet to have one of these bad experiences that you read about,

Everybody I have met have been, polite, helpful, sometimes a bit too helpful but mainly curious. I some times wonder what all the fuss is about it’s just a leg or rather a missing leg. No big deal. ………….Mick

Hi Ali. Before my amputation I never wore shorts. But now I wear them whenever the weather permits. I do not use any kind of covering on my leg. I guess you could say I never had the legs for them before. I don’t mind the looks and have not had any bad experiences. I honestly think people are friendlier when they can see my prosthetic. Sometimes like Mick said they go way out of they’re way to want to help. Also in my mind it justifies my limp. Without shorts I am just an old guy with a limp but wearing shorts shows everyone why I am limping.

Abel, I have worn shorts for a long time now whenever I can, I think the same. At first I felt it would be weird not having the covering on my leg, but now I feel fine about it! LOL, old guy with a limp, good one! :D

I must admit I don't wear shorts as I prefer to keep my leg hidden- I mostly wear trousers and sometimes long skirts. This is just a personal thing and I have to admit as a child I didn't mind at all. In fact in those days I was happy to swim in a public pool and didn't care if there were stares but now I only swim when we have a villa with a pool on holiday.

It's strange though I don;t like the thought of a few people I walk past in the street possibly looking at me but on Sunday I willingly stood in front of several thousand people to spar in the English national championships although then my leg was hidden under long trousers and padded sparring feet.

Lynne - I am so glad you had a great two weeks.

Sue

Also in my mind it justifies my limp. Without shorts I am just an old guy with a limp but wearing shorts shows everyone why I am limping.

:D :P :D well i'm not an old guy with a limp, but i know exactly what you mean. i prefer to wear cropped combat pants to flash off my leg, with long pants i'm just a woman who limps, but with my naked cool dragon socket on display......I'm a Dude with Attitude :P

plus i hate it when people give me black looks when i use a disabled parking space. it's great when they cop a look at my leg when i walk off, they soon wind thier necks back in.

Also, a nurse in hospital once said to me ' those that matter, don't stare... those that stare, don't matter'

'those' being people. It's always been true for me, and has helped me to walk tall in whatever length pants or skirt no matter who stares, it's thier problem, not mine.

Yeah it is definitely that time of year :D

CIMG0426.jpg

Will work on getting a picture of all of me soon, maybe this afternoon when I go for a walk in the forest.

Ali,

I wear shorts as soon as it gets warm enough to be in them outside, during the winter, I wore them inside a lot too, during the winter.... Before my amputation, I wouldn't of been caught dead in town in shorts.

I have found, for me, that shorts make it so much easier dealing with adjustments when they need to be made. The only time, that I have ever been bothered by anyone staring, was when we were in Dallas, Texas for the Amputee Coalition Conference..... Hubby and I were walking through the hotel, when an oilman's meeting had let out... It wasn't the men who were gawking, it was the "rich" women that were. I elbowed Hubby, and said "Look, they're staring,keep looking at their faces, and they will look up to see if we're watching". Sure enough, they do! It's always fun to do that, because sooner or later, they are going to look to see if you have noticed them looking.. and, they're busted...Sometimes, they even blush with embarassment... (guess you could say that onery little devil sets on my shoulder when I see them looking at me). Personally, I don't mind one way or another, those people who are likely to stare, still put their pants on the same way I do......As mentioned earlier, I too, have had people give me dirty looks on the days when I chose to use the handicap parking spaces because walking was difficult for one reason or another.. The looks when you step from behind a car door, and people see your leg, are priceless sometimes. So, go, be comfortable, and enjoy the life that you were given. Once you start seeing the humor in it, things become very comfortable for you, and you will begin to see the humor in it, instead of being self concious...

Great pics, Ali. And it's always nice to put a face with the name :)

Sorry about the hair in the pics, it is getting cut tomorrow.At the minute it is typical student, can't be bothered to cut it, hair.