Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Question Game

Thanksgiving Dinner... the whole thing: roast turkey basted with my own garlic/herb butter; cornbread stuffing with sausage and cranberries; mashed potatoes and gravy; sweet potato puff (soufflé-lick, but not as demanding); green beans almondine; and fruit salad with vanilla cream dressing and pumpkin pie for dessert.

I'm generally a pretty good cook, but that meal just goes together sooo well!

Who's going to win "Dancing With the Stars"?

'cherylm' that is the biggest question of the week!!! The bad thing is I like Joey, Laila & Apollo....they are all sooooo good. Honestly :blink: I don't have a clue....do you? I just love Apollo, such a cutie & Joey has so much personality...and Laila is so sexy.

I will take a guess. Apollo

Actually I would love to have your recipe for sweet potato puff..... :rolleyes: ...if you will share :)

I would also love the recipe for sweet potato puff if it is available.

To answer Cat's question - I know the Melbourne Cup is horse racing but as I have no knowledge of or interest in horse racing the answer is 'I haven;t got a clue'.

I rarely watch sports on TV so my question is - Do you like watching sport?

I rarely watch sports on TV so my question is - Do you like watching sport?

The answer to that would be a resounding "NO".

Have you ever written a soppy IM or E-Mail and posted it to the wrong (very wrong) person??

:P

Guest bearlover
The What??

Who's going to win the Melbourne Cup? :P

The Stanley Cup is a award for the best ice hockey team. The best teams compete for it...I'm hoping the Buffalo Sabers win it this year..A team from Buffalo NY my home town.

Oh, boy... I'm a "by-guess-and-by-golly" sort of cook, and the "puff" was someting I concocted a few years back and have cobbled together since. Write down the recipe? Why would I want to do something silly like that? I've been craving sweet potatoes, though, so I'll see about making one up and actually MEASURING things for a change! I'll gladly post the recipe for whoever's interested......

Ally... no, I've not had that particular embarrassing experience!

Ann... Until Joey's jive this week, I would've thought Apollo, hands-down... however, all three are genuinely good dancers, and I suppose it all comes down to their final routines. I wouldn't be displeased with ANY of them as the winner. The only reason I started watching the show was because of Heather, but it's been really entertaining!

Okay... What's your favorite weekend like?

Kicking back with Hubby after a lonnnnnnnnnggggggg week.....

What was your goofy-est happening with your leg story?

Guest bearlover

When I had to add a sock..I went into the ladies room. took my leg off and down it fell right into the next stall! :lol: I scared a older lady half to death!! I explained and said I was so sorry : :rolleyes: ..But boy was she ever scared!

How do you keep cool in the summer with your prosthetic?

Cheryl, I'd love to have the sweet potato puff recipe. Wasn't Joey's jive the best dance you've ever seen?? I was really impressed.

Totally off thread, sorry <_< .

How do you keep cool in the summer with your prosthetic?

Marcia

Here's my recipe for Sweet Potato Puffs :

SWEET POTATO PUFFS

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cooked -- mashed

• 1/3 cup orange juice

• 1 egg -- beaten

• 1 tablespoon grated orange peel

• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• 1/4 cup chopped pecans

PREPARATION:

In a bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes with orange juice, egg, peel, and nutmeg. Mix well. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon potato mixture onto baking sheet in 8 mounds. Sprinkle the mounds with the chopped pecans. Bake in a 375 degree F. oven for about 30 minutes, or until hot in the center.

Serves 8.

I have no idea how Cheryl makes hers.

I keep cool by wearing shorts (a lot).

Who's your favorite singer (male or female)?

Guest bearlover

Neal Diamond

Who is your favorite rock band or music band of any kind?

Steppenwolf, specifically "Magic Carpet Ride" :ph34r::unsure:

Anyone else have a favorite band or group?

At the moment, I'm very, very fond of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy... they put on a fabulous live show and also sound good on their recordings. (You don't always get both of those traits at the same time!) Most of my "favorites" are vocal groups, though: Manhattan Transfer, The Roches, and The Bobs rank high! And I have what my friends consider an "odd" attraction to 1940s - 1950s big bands.

(Gil, your version of sweet potato puff sounds yummy! I've never used nuts or the orange juice/peel... that sounds like a good combination. I'm going to hit the kitchen this weekend and see if I can get "real measurements": flavoring-wise, I use brown sugar, cloves, and allspice, and I separate the eggs. More to come!)

I've recently had a string of odd encounters with animals: spent a weekend with a possum inside my apartment (!) and then went for a drive and my car started to meow... popped the hood and found a frightened little kitten huddled on top of my radiator overflow tank!

What's the oddest "animal encounter" you've ever had?

My oddest encounter with another animal was having a possum chase my labrador and I.

We had just moved to the farm from town, and I had her out for her nightly tinkle before going to bed, when one came out of the timber and after us. I was trying to get her to the house before she noticed what was going on and took off in the timber after it, (being she was still a city gal at the time). It followed us to the house. I'm sure that it probably had little ones close by, but it was really funny at the time..

Has anyone tried out any of the new prosthetics lately?

I have to tell you, I had a snake in my car one time.

What new prosthetics are you referring to?

Guest bearlover
:o Bears. Lots of Bears. We go to Hawk Mountain Sanctuary every spring to see the Bear Cubs. The Cubs have no fear and will come right up to you which apparently really pisses their Mommy's off.

I like bears but from a distance!!! :o

UMMm

Cheryl/Higgy

Be aware that possums can be RABID! Especially one that chases a person and a dog.

FYI ladies.

Gil, thanks for your concern. I did not INTEND to spend the weekend with a possum, and he was as timid about the encounter as I was.

They're extremely common in my neck of the woods, and we all exercise caution around them when our paths happen to cross!

Guest bearlover

Has anyone heard of a animla called a fisher? a very nasty animal about the size of a skunk..They bite and will chase you to get a bite. I never heard of them untill a lady here was chased by one into her garage and bit her leg..They have big teeth...they showed the creature on the news...very scary!! :o

Only the ones they had at the conference last year...

As for the possum, skunk, racoon.... yep... I know about the rabies.. We have our horses given rabie shots because of it. Plus, living in the timber, all my life, I have a pretty good idea of animals, sick or not.

Just about got hit by a UFO (unidentified flying owl) the other morning checking fence... :blink: Thought that it was going to fly right into me. It was juvenile, evidently, not too long out of the nest.

Joe, your stateside right now aren't you?

Just about got hit by a UFO (unidentified flying owl) the other morning checking fence... :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, guys, while it is possible for a possum to get rabies, it is extremely rare. Raccoons, skunks, and (most important for human exposures in the U.S. and Canada) bats, yes, but possums, no. Believe me, I've spent many years working both in the field and the lab with wildlife rabies and we very rarely encounter any possums, live or dead, carrying the virus. No one knows why this is, but it may have to do with the low body temperature of the animal being unable to support much growth of the virus. It's also not that uncommon to see healthy raccoons or possums active during the day--happens every day here in Ohio. But any wild animal should be given its distance all the time. Leave 'em alone or let a qualified wildlife officer remove them!

I knew that after I posted it Joe..It was just a poor choice of words that morning. Sometimes, this old brain doesn't click right in a hurry. Just didn't have the time to ponder it that morning before work. I'm really not the bumkin that you might think. However, I just knew that you'd say something about it for sure....Where was the edit button when you needed it.... huh....I feel better though, knowing I'm forgiven........ :lol:

As for the bats, well, I can't say as I blame you, I'd be rollin on the floor laughing too.. Heading for the door might of been the safest part of the retreat. Other options, just dont' sound so good. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest bearlover

No I can't make it..

What is the thing that bugs you most about being a amputee?

Whome? Gosh no I'm afraid to go. Half the amputees want to hug me while the other half want to hit me.

Joe, count me in as part of the half that would want to hug you! You're priceless man... I just read your story about Deborah chasing the bats and the story about the kid snatching a penguin. I'D want a baby penguin too!