Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Cat

The Question Game

And that was in a little town on the Mississippi Gulf Coast called Ocean Springs. Prettiest little place you ever saw. I'm going to do some inquiring and see if I can find anybody who still has cumquats around here.

Well, Kep, I can see you're our resident Mayberry expert!

Well, Kep, I can see you're our resident Mayberry expert!

Not really. I just get curious about things sometimes and I can Google with the best of them. :rolleyes:

. Oh and please keep Paris Hilton on the Mainland.!!! We only want her to sacrifice to the volcano.

Would that get her out of the press? :huh::huh: I get so sick of someone getting so much press for doing something that we try to teach is sooo wrong.....If you want to be famous, and your rich,, drive drunk!!Really teaches kids nowdays, and some adults, a good lesson..... hmm.... At least, they got off of Anna Nicole for a while....

I had a qumquat tree/bush growing over the arbor outstide my bedroom window when I was a teenger. Made for delicious snacks while I was up there studying. They were about the size and shape of a date, which I used to always pick a box of when we went to Death Valley, CA - and then overdid it and got sick.

Young Miss Hilton reminds me of an old saying: "Poor Little Rich Girl". Like so many young today, they have yet to learn that there are consequences for their actions. I hope this last stint teaches her something - before she hurts herself or others.

What year is this according to the Chinese calender?

2007 is the Year of the Pig (boar). It is also known by its former name of Ding Hai.

Why aren't philosophers funny?

Not sure I'd agree, Sparky... when the philosophers are all called Bruce, they can at least sing a funny philosophers' song... the lyrics of which may answer your question.......

2007 is the Year of the Pig (boar). It is also known by its former name of Ding Hai.

Specifically, it is 4705, but the year of the Boar is close enough.

HUMOR (as is beauty), is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure that the philosophers children thought he was funny - (Most all children think their dads are funny - or should anyway).

"If a woodchuck could chuck wood, how many cords of wood could a woodchuck - chuck?"

"I don't care who you are that there's funny"*

Stop with the woodchuck thing you already asked that.

I know I'd be spookin all around Nicole Kidman.

Yes - that was definitely funny

As for the woodchuck thing - what woodchuck thing :P

Paris and Michael who?????

As for Nicole Kidman. I had dibs on her first. I may be old - but I'm not dead. :lol:

Did I ask about the woodchuck?? I forgot! <_<

What was the "African Queen". (I know that I haven't asked that one - have I??)

"I don't care who you are that there's funny"*

Stop with the woodchuck thing you already asked that.

I know I'd be spookin all around Nicole Kidman.

Yes - that was definitely funny

As for the woodchuck thing - what woodchuck thing :P

Paris and Michael who?????

As for Nicole Kidman. I had dibs on her first. I may be old - but I'm not dead. :lol:

Did I ask about the woodchuck?? I forgot! <_<

What was the "African Queen". (I know that I haven't asked that one - have I??)

The 'African Queen ' was an old 'Steamship ' operating in East Africa, used in a movie of same name 1952 approx.

Will you watch the ' Tour De France ' this year.

Will I watch the Tour? I don't know... not because of lack of interest -- I usually at least follow it in the news and watch the final stage -- but because I've been absolutely terrible at remembering sporting events this year!

So far, I've missed most of the Super Bowl, all three races in the Triple Crown, and the NBA finals. I think I've managed to catch two baseball games this season, and I've watched no soccer and only a few minutes of hockey (almost all of that scattered over the final series of the Stanley Cup). And "my" team WON the Stanley Cup... I should have caught up in it!

It's awfully hard to believe that I actually LIKE sports!

What's the last film you saw? What's the next one you WANT to see?

The Last King of Scotland

Want to see the new Harry Potter film.

Do you have any phobia's?

Guest bearlover

:o Yes I hate spiders! :blink:

How is the weather in your part of the world?

:o Yes I hate spiders! :blink:

How is the weather in your part of the world?

Rain, rain and more rain!! At the moment in my part of the country we are certainly living up to the stereotypical England.

Should parents of older children (say 14-18 year olds) let them drink in moderation at home to introduce them to sensible drinking or should they insist on absolute abstinence until 18? (For those in other countries drinking in your own home is legal at this age it is only illegal in a pub).

Should parents of older children (say 14-18 year olds) let them drink in moderation at home to introduce them to sensible drinking or should they insist on absolute abstinence until 18? (For those in other countries drinking in your own home is legal at this age it is only illegal in a pub).

Hell, how should I - or anyone else know? I'd be willing to bet that you'll get as many different answers on this as youdo repply's - BUT - IN MY OPINION..........Suuure, and let's let them try out all of the other vices, like gambling and prostitution, just to learn to do it moderately - at home.

Teaching life values - TO ME - is the answer. Then children can learn to make the proper decisions when faced with whatever challenges they are met with along the way. Singleing out just alcohol, is just scratching the surface. Too much ice cream or candy is bad for a person also. How about cigarettes or cigars - are smoking pipes okay?. How about a little dope, or a few drugs?

"Perfect" children, from "Perfect" familys, go on to be alcoholics, drug addicts, and some, like John Hinkley, even WOULD BE assinators.

Children have been known to "experiment" away from home and out of the line of sight of parents. Based upon their "values"

My apologizes Sue - I was using "sarcasm" at the subject - not you. I was raised in a political family that always had cocktail parties for other politicians, and was "taught" to handle it "socially" from my early years.. However, as I contiuned life on my own, I began to use it as a crutch. My parents, never did to any extreme, but through genealogy, we found out that all of my biological parents did. My brother, had a couple of masters degrees, one Phd, a law degree, and was a junior ambassador, and late in life I learned that he had the same problem that I did. We both quit - cold turkey - 28 and 27 years ago (respectively). We were brought up in different familys, (adopted seperately) neither of whom had any problem with drinking. And yes, both of us were taught very strict family values, but we still found our own way.

At least your thinking and trying. That is admirable. Too many parents today forget how to....PARENT.

Sue, I personally think Jim has given you a good answer. We decided to let our children drink at home, parties, birthdays and other family/friends gatherings. We knew they would experiment, we just felt it would be better done at home than have them to go somewhere less salubrious and unsupervised.

As Jim has said, kids will experiment. Finding a way to let them learn by experience and not harm themselves is the hard bit. When they were about 15yrs old I did take them to the local accident and emergency department one late Saturday night – that made them think.

Guest bearlover

What about the health risk assoicated with alchlo and young bodies that are still growing? Many health problems can occure when kids start to drink to young.

Joe has, once again, hit the issue squarely between the eyes. Teaching right from wrong, and how to feel at least a little comfortable in one's own skin, are about all we can do. Adolescents are not comfortable with themselves usually. But if they have a foundation on which to rest they have a chance.

Yes, good kids go bad. Yes, kids from awful backgrounds turn out OK. I am not a drinker, other than wine for blessings. My daughter knows that alcohol exists and I neither promote nor quarantine the liquor cabinet. I am sure she will try one too many one time. My job is to promote her well being by teaching her about safety, establishing a contract that I will always come and fetch her if she is impaired. No questions, at least at that time. We'll talk about it later and earlier. The conversation about drugs and alcohol, as well as the conversation about sex, began early and are an ongoing dialog. Open and (even if it is uncomfortable) honest conversation is what I share.

My mother always said that we do the best we can, teach them the best we know how, and pray.

But I don't think sharing a blunt or a cosmo with my teen aged kid is appropriate. I am her mother, her mentor, perhaps even her confidante and friend, but I am not her peer, nor her competitor. When she is old enough to buy me a drink I will share a glass of wine with her socially. Until then, as Joe says, I lead by example, not sample.

My question: why are people so obsessed with Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie? Am I missing something?

You know, I don't think there's necessarily one "right" answer to this... aside from the comments that the parents should stress their values and set a good example. There are so many other variables involved, from the "legalities" of the culture to the maturity level and personality of the child. Whatever the parents' decision, I think it's important that they give it careful thought and implement it responsibly.

Now... what all this "drinking in the home" talk has reminded me of is my folks and their "special drink." They would settle down every Saturday evening with their "cocktail." It consisted of one jigger of bourbon in a giant tumbler full of water, with three ice cubes floating in it. They could sit and sip on that vaguely bourbon-infused, mildly cool water all night long! Needless to say, their liquor cabinet was pretty sparsely stocked and seldom needed to be replenished.

Me....? I like silly fruity drinks. Piña coladas, anyone?

Maryl, I hope SOMEONE can answer your question, 'cause I haven't got a clue!

I'm up too late... if you can't answer Maryl's question, answer this one: What time do you usually go to bed and get up?

Guest bearlover
Joe has, once again, hit the issue squarely between the eyes. Teaching right from wrong, and how to feel at least a little comfortable in one's own skin, are about all we can do. Adolescents are not comfortable with themselves usually. But if they have a foundation on which to rest they have a chance.

Yes, good kids go bad. Yes, kids from awful backgrounds turn out OK. I am not a drinker, other than wine for blessings. My daughter knows that alcohol exists and I neither promote nor quarantine the liquor cabinet. I am sure she will try one too many one time. My job is to promote her well being by teaching her about safety, establishing a contract that I will always come and fetch her if she is impaired. No questions, at least at that time. We'll talk about it later and earlier. The conversation about drugs and alcohol, as well as the conversation about sex, began early and are an ongoing dialog. Open and (even if it is uncomfortable) honest conversation is what I share.

My mother always said that we do the best we can, teach them the best we know how, and pray.

But I don't think sharing a blunt or a cosmo with my teen aged kid is appropriate. I am her mother, her mentor, perhaps even her confidante and friend, but I am not her peer, nor her competitor. When she is old enough to buy me a drink I will share a glass of wine with her socially. Until then, as Joe says, I lead by example, not sample.

My question: why are people so obsessed with Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie? Am I missing something?

I have no Idea?? I quess its cheap entetainment or something I really don't care. We have much more important issues in the news than those 2. Soem people need to get a life.

You know, I don't think there's necessarily one "right" answer to this... aside from the comments that the parents should stress their values and set a good example. There are so many other variables involved, from the "legalities" of the culture to the maturity level and personality of the child. Whatever the parents' decision, I think it's important that they give it careful thought and implement it responsibly.

Now... what all this "drinking in the home" talk has reminded me of is my folks and their "special drink." They would settle down every Saturday evening with their "cocktail." It consisted of one jigger of bourbon in a giant tumbler full of water, with three ice cubes floating in it. They could sit and sip on that vaguely bourbon-infused, mildly cool water all night long! Needless to say, their liquor cabinet was pretty sparsely stocked and seldom needed to be replenished.

Me....? I like silly fruity drinks. Piña coladas, anyone?

Maryl, I hope SOMEONE can answer your question, 'cause I haven't got a clue!

I'm up too late... if you can't answer Maryl's question, answer this one: What time do you usually go to bed and get up?

Hey Cheryl.

I can answer your question!! On my days off, I go to bed when ever I fall asleep, and when I my child wakes me up (usually around 9 to 10 AM), and when I work, I go to bed around 11PM, and wake up around 530Am. Ok, so now I have the next question..

Does anyone have a myspace, and if so, I would love to be on your friends list..