Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
skully cat

In considerate people

Ok as I try to be nice I have a few pet peaves?

Mark is forever moving my walker in the bathroom, the only room I can't get in and than says oh I am sorry. Drives me nuts as when I gotta go I gotta go!

Leaves clothes on the floor and than I don't see it and wheelchair gets stuck and I have to piss around pulling a sock out of the wheel and almost fall out.

I want to just go up the stiars and put marbels on the floor so he falls on his but or hide every last pair of his socks.

Or when you are trying to get in a store and you need both your arms but the door is so heavy and people cut in front of you or let go of the door into you knew surgical limb?

In the airport when they are frisking you, they call over a girl for me and you wait and wait. I am like just get one of the guys, it's all in the job, I could care less. If I get grouped send over some cute guy not a girl. Seriously, my brother just says welcome to my world get used to it. Do people ever realized hoe inconsiderate or jerky they can be. I just was not raised that way.

Is it me being sensative again?

Skully Cat

it not you honey, it's them.

drive me mad too, especially when i park in a disabled space and some idiot parks as close as poss to my door. I've had to get security guys to climb through the passenger side for me and pull out before. :ph34r:

it not you honey, it's them.

drive me mad too, especially when i park in a disabled space and some idiot parks as close as poss to my door. I've had to get security guys to climb through the passenger side for me and pull out before. :angry:

I get ya, I love the old person telling my buddy he had no right to park there it was for the elderly.

He said, "Old don't make you handicap." He poped his leg of and threw it on their windshield.

I love Joe he gives me a whole new perspective.

BY the way Hazel are you going to ACA confrence it would be nice to meet you.

Skully Cat

Skully - I have been around long enough to have witnessed the demise of "manners". It started in the early 1960's with the "burning of the bra's" in Berkley California. That wasn't the official signal, but from that incident on, things have been going down hill ever since.

"Challenge Authority", the signs used to say, (and still do). I held the door open for a couple older than I the other day, and a young kid just barged through in front of everyone. I hold the door open for a lady, and the young guy she is with, walks right through with her without even thinking of holding it and saying thank you. Drivers cut right in front of you. Us old folks, will stop and let someone in, but not the young ones.

IT'S CALLED PARENTING. Someone forgot to tell people how to do it. Kids just weren't taught manners anymore like they used to be.

It has nothing to do with your handicapped. It doesn't discriminate. Jerks are Jerks to all people today.

BUT.......... I have some young grandchildren that I am very proud of, so there must still be hope in this world. I see young ones doing for others, and helping those who need it. Yes - not all of the young ones are Jerks - just enough though to notice.

Ok as I try to be nice I have a few pet peaves?

Do people ever realized hoe inconsiderate or jerky they can be. I just was not raised that way.

Is it me being sensative again?

Skully Cat

No its not you, its the rest of the world.

Some people just do not seem to think, my big gripe today was the neighbour whose garden part backs on mine, who decided on a lovely sunny, hot, lunch time to light a bonfire. I was so annoyed as was enjoying my lunch the other side of the fence in my garden, washing on line and windows of my house wide open.Wafts of smoke drifted over the fence into my garden, joined about ten minutes later by another neighbours dog which wouldn't stop barking. Am I justified in being grumpy?

You know Ann - when my wife and I first moved into our house 15 years ago, I politely asked the kid (15) next door not to cut across the back of our poperty, because I was going to plant new grass. He started yelling at me like a drunken sailor, (no offense meant Muz). I called his father, who looked at where the kid jumped the fence and said that he couldn't see anything wrong, and if I didn't have just one leg, he would jump the fence and whip my a**. I told him not to worry about the leg - that I would more than make up for it. (My mouth still thinks that I am 21 - as does my mind).

Any way, he and his 21 year old and the 15 year old didn't take me up on it. Bully's don't want to have to work for it. They want to intimidate you and get it for free. Things calmed down after that. (well, sort-of)

15 years later (last weekend), I had another run-in with the 15 year old (now 30). They make race cars next door, and he was running it without a muffler all around the yard showing off to his girl. I called the police.

One across the street has a yipping dog, and the one on the other side of me let's his dog chew up my fence and crawl under and crap in our yard and tear up my wife's garden.

NO MORE. I called the animal pound (after 5 years) on the one next door, (it cost them $100 fine) and went over and had a man to man talk with the owner of the yipping dog across the street. I am not their favorite person, because I object to their being jerks next to me. Peoples noise trespassing onto my property is just as bad as them doing it themselves.

I was brought up to respect others rights, and that is what I demand from others.

I just don't put up with bully's or jerks, and will speak right up.

Guest bearlover

My husband will move the magnets on the fridge to annoy me or move my things around...So one day I went into the basement and moved his tools around! :o :lol: hew though this was funny we both had a good chuckle over it.. :lol: :lol:

Able-bodied people who park in Handicapped spots or use a Handicapped placard that's not theirs are at the top of my list.

When I was working as a police officer, I used to hammer these people for no other reason than because that sort of rudeness irked me. But they haven't seen anything like what's going to happen when I get back on the job now that I'm actually technically one of the people that's affected.

Able-bodied people who park in Handicapped spots or use a Handicapped placard that's not theirs are at the top of my list.

When I was working as a police officer, I used to hammer these people for no other reason than because that sort of rudeness irked me. But they haven't seen anything like what's going to happen when I get back on the job now that I'm actually technically one of the people that's affected.

:rolleyes: You go get'm StaggerLee....We'll all be applauding, because we know you are going to be working again very soon ;)

Guest bearlover

UGH! This is really angering I too hate it when people do this..Or they think if they sit in the car and wait for someone it is ok..NOT! It really bugs me.. :rolleyes:

UGH! This is really angering I too hate it when people do this..Or they think if they sit in the car and wait for someone it is ok..NOT! It really bugs me.. :rolleyes:

K. I see things slightly different here. My doctor says that I am qualified for a handicapped placard. The laws of my state and every other state in the U.S.A. say that I am qualified. AND, the motor vehicle department that issues the palcards says that I am qualified to park there.

Handicapped spots are for the handicapped. Everyone has an opinion, of how that should be applied. I only have one view. If you are legally handicapped, and have been issued a placard, then you have the right to park there. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. What you do when you park there is your business. Sit - dance - or go out for a jog. If we listened to all of the "yes but's", then we would have 1,000 (or more) classifications of placards.

A neighbor once told me that he wished that he could stay home during the day, and do what I did. I told him that he could - all he had to do is to pay the price that I paid. That stopped him. I don't ask for anything special. I just go by the rules - and the rules say that I am entitled to park in the handicapped, and how, or when I use it is my business.

What is the problem with that? Everyone else wants to enterpret the rules their way

Oh, you're not as handicapped as me or Your not using the spot as I think that you should be using it

I let my doctor, the laws, and the motor vehicle license bureau - and ME - be my judge. Trying to please everyone else is a losing proposition from the start.

If someone doesn't think they should park in one - then don't. That is my reccomendation. But I don't see putting a guilt trip on those who legally park in one - their way. I look great when I get out of my car for the first 10-20 maybe 30 feet, and on a good day, maybe more. Most people don't know that I have a "wooden leg". I told the manager of our favorite resturant, that I've known for years, that I had one, the other day, and he was floored. He didn't realize it. But no one knows what my circulation is doing, and how my legs are cramping, or just why I happen to be limping that day. I usually can't wait to get back to the car.

Now - those who are not qualified, and don't have a placard. I'm with Stagger Lee on that one.

Guest bearlover

K. I see things slightly different here. My doctor says that I am qualified for a handicapped placard. The laws of my state and every other state in the U.S.A. say that I am qualified. AND, the motor vehicle department that issues the palcards says that I am qualified to park there.

Handicapped spots are for the handicapped. Everyone has an opinion, of how that should be applied. I only have one view. If you are legally handicapped, and have been issued a placard, then you have the right to park there. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. What you do when you park there is your business. Sit - dance - or go out for a jog. If we listened to all of the "yes but's", then we would have 1,000 (or more) classifications of placards.

A neighbor once told me that he wished that he could stay home during the day, and do what I did. I told him that he could - all he had to do is to pay the price that I paid. That stopped him. I don't ask for anything special. I just go by the rules - and the rules say that I am entitled to park in the handicapped, and how, or when I use it is my business.

What is the problem with that? Everyone else wants to enterpret the rules their way

Oh, you're not as handicapped as me or Your not using the spot as I think that you should be using it

I let my doctor, the laws, and the motor vehicle license bureau - and ME - be my judge. Trying to please everyone else is a losing proposition from the start.

If someone doesn't think they should park in one - then don't. That is my reccomendation. But I don't see putting a guilt trip on those who legally park in one - their way. I look great when I get out of my car for the first 10-20 maybe 30 feet, and on a good day, maybe more. Most people don't know that I have a "wooden leg". I told the manager of our favorite resturant, that I've known for years, that I had one, the other day, and he was floored. He didn't realize it. But no one knows what my circulation is doing, and how my legs are cramping, or just why I happen to be limping that day. I usually can't wait to get back to the car.

Now - those who are not qualified, and don't have a placard. I'm with Stagger Lee on that one.

Oh I agree Jim...Iam talking about the people whi do not have a hang tag or a licience plate symbol that says they have the right to park in that spot. :)

Oh I agree Jim...Iam talking about the people whi do not have a hang tag or a licience plate symbol that says they have the right to park in that spot. :)

:D I knew you were. We're on the same track. :D

Guest bearlover

Oh of course they have the right to park in them...But in another note I have once forgoten to hang my tag :o when I park in one.....So maybe sometimes people do forget to hang it?

Oh of course they have the right to park in them...But in another note I have once forgoten to hang my tag :o when I park in one.....So maybe sometimes people do forget to hang it?

So did I - once. And would you believe that I came back and found a $100 ticket on my window. I went to the station, and showed them my placard and they cancelled it. Now, I have the license plates on all my cars. My wife won't park in the handicapped when she is alone though, because she isn't handicapped. She's real neat that way. Now you know where my respect for her comes from.

Guest bearlover

My husband is the same way....Some nosey people question me! :o And say I don't need that spot or say I stold my grandmas pass :rolleyes: Can you believe it..Until I get out of the car once I flashed my pylon when I had it..You can't judge a book by its cover...I wish to goodnes I did not need that spot. Ocassionally thre may 2 of us wanting the same spot..Even if I was there first I will let the other person have it. Especially if they are elderly..

One of my favorite things to do before I got injured was to check handicapped tags when I worked overtime details at a local concert venue. People who wanted Handicapped parking had to use a special entrance and they got good close-in parking. However so many people were abusing it that it was filling up and legitimate handicapped people were being denied spaces. So another officer and I used to hang out at the entrance to that lot. When people would come in, we'd stop them and ask them if they needed handicapped parking. After they said "yes", we'd then ask to see their handicapped placard. In the State of Virginia, those placards bear the name and date of birth for the person that they were issued to. Once we have the placard, we ask for their driver's license and match them up. And of course you know you've caught them as soon as you ask for their license and they get that panicky look on their face.

The number of people trying to sneak in on someone else's placards was incredible. And I'm talking about carloads of people under thirty where the driver hands over a placard with a date of birth that's pre-1900. People keep these things in their families for decades and use them wherever.

We'd also catch people who have them for their toddlers for some strange reason and the toddler is not in the car. They borrow the placards from neighbors or relatives, they even make fake ones on copy machines.

We started confiscating the tags and sending them back to the Department of Motor Vehicles for their investigation. The person presenting the tag gets a $125.00 ticket. Naturally complaints started rolling in from angry people who got caught, but we kept on doing this. We got about 300 last year.

And I've already told my boss that when I get back, he'd better brace for a whole lot more complaints about that stuff, because last year it was a hobby but now it's on. No more Mr. Nice Guy when I find those folks.

And I wish that every state would put the name and birth date on the placards that they issue.

Guest bearlover
One of my favorite things to do before I got injured was to check handicapped tags when I worked overtime details at a local concert venue. People who wanted Handicapped parking had to use a special entrance and they got good close-in parking. However so many people were abusing it that it was filling up and legitimate handicapped people were being denied spaces. So another officer and I used to hang out at the entrance to that lot. When people would come in, we'd stop them and ask them if they needed handicapped parking. After they said "yes", we'd then ask to see their handicapped placard. In the State of Virginia, those placards bear the name and date of birth for the person that they were issued to. Once we have the placard, we ask for their driver's license and match them up. And of course you know you've caught them as soon as you ask for their license and they get that panicky look on their face.

The number of people trying to sneak in on someone else's placards was incredible. And I'm talking about carloads of people under thirty where the driver hands over a placard with a date of birth that's pre-1900. People keep these things in their families for decades and use them wherever.

We'd also catch people who have them for their toddlers for some strange reason and the toddler is not in the car. They borrow the placards from neighbors or relatives, they even make fake ones on copy machines.

We started confiscating the tags and sending them back to the Department of Motor Vehicles for their investigation. The person presenting the tag gets a $125.00 ticket. Naturally complaints started rolling in from angry people who got caught, but we kept on doing this. We got about 300 last year.

And I've already told my boss that when I get back, he'd better brace for a whole lot more complaints about that stuff, because last year it was a hobby but now it's on. No more Mr. Nice Guy when I find those folks.

And I wish that every state would put the name and birth date on the placards that they issue.

Thank you Officer! this is a real problem..Someday that person may Really need that spot and know what is like when someone without a hang tag or licience plate symblo abuses it..Again Thanks!

Here in the Uk our badges have our photo on the reverse and as you have to renew it every three years with a new photo it is always fairly up to date - a good way to prevent abuse as long as someone is checking them which unfortunately doesn't happen very often.

Guest bearlover
Here in the Uk our badges have our photo on the reverse and as you have to renew it every three years with a new photo it is always fairly up to date - a good way to prevent abuse as long as someone is checking them which unfortunately doesn't happen very often.

A great idea! here in the US it is just a blue hang tag with a ID number..Some people actually steal them or sell them.. :o

A great idea! here in the US it is just a blue hang tag with a ID number..Some people actually steal them or sell them.. :o

There's a disabled parking badge black market here too, bearlover. <_<

Apart from challenging PWD's who park in 'disabled parking bays' (which I do, on a regular basis), I've heard of two other good ideas:

* Write a note on the offending vehicles windscreen on a piece of paper...or in lipstick. :rolleyes:

* See if your local public authority would be prepared (as I hear they do somewhere in Texas) to allow drivers with a disability to issue parking tickets. I understand you need to attend a course prior to being able to issue them. Wouldn't it be delicious to actually issue a ticket instead of resorting to scraps of paper...or lipstick? ;)

Lizzie :)

Guest bearlover

There's a disabled parking badge black market here too, bearlover. <_<

Apart from challenging PWD's who park in 'disabled parking bays' (which I do, on a regular basis), I've heard of two other good ideas:

* Write a note on the offending vehicles windscreen on a piece of paper...or in lipstick. :rolleyes:

* See if your local public authority would be prepared (as I hear they do somewhere in Texas) to allow drivers with a disability to issue parking tickets. I understand you need to attend a course prior to being able to issue them. Wouldn't it be delicious to actually issue a ticket instead of resorting to scraps of paper...or lipstick? ;)

Lizzie :)

Actually Lizzie, I have left notes on cars :unsure: It read as followes:

Thanks for parking here your inconsidration has cause me a gret deal of pain. Please leave these spots for people who need them and have a hang tag or licience plate symbol.

Would you believe that people actualy steal them and sell them! especially around christmas time :angry:

You know there are some good ideas.

They give tickets but I think with the ticket maybe some community service with real people who are handicapped ( I hate that word ) but you all know what I mean.

Or maybe make them spend a day in a wheelchair and do not use there legs and have to go to the store and wrestle a flippin wheel cahir out but it's wheels on leaning agains a car door with out falling on your face.

I would make a wonderful enforcer if I had more strength.

Skully Cat

In California, tags expire and are renewed automatically. In most jurisdictions it's a $272 fine for mis-use or parking in a dsignated spot without one.

My son gets really irate when we spot someone parking ilegally. I'm still in a wheelchariot due to a stump infection.

GO GET 'EM!!! :D :D :D :D

What Gil didn't mention is that, while the only "identifying information" on the hang tag itself is a serial number (on the plates, of course, it's the plate number that is used for identification), we are also required to carry a paper permit. The permit has REAL identifying information, allowing anyone doing verification checks to determine if we're using the hang tag/plate legally.

I tend to use "regular" parking whenever it's a reasonable alternative, as I figure there are often folks who need the disabled parking more than I. But there are times when that "handicapped space" is a blessing. I've never minded the thought of being "verified," precisely because I want to keep those spaces open for folk who truly need them.

The Texas parking-enforcement program Lizzie mentioned is SUCH a GREAT idea! I have a friend in the program -- I think Lizzie's referring to the same person -- and she's said it's quite fulfilling as a PWD to be able to do something to REALLY hold the parking-fraudsters accountable.

Skully, you also have a great idea there... one day with a "simulated disability" would be more than most of those inconsiderate jerks could begin to tolerate! I've often said that I like anyone who works in retail to have to work a shift in a wheelchair as well... I think there would be a LOT of changes in store layout and merchandise display once they realized that a certain percentage of their customers are prevented from buying stuff simply because we can't REACH it from a chair.

Oh, well... if WE ruled the world........!