Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
skully cat

In considerate people

Guest bearlover

here in NY they have a code Number on it, with the last 3 digets of your drivers licience. if a officer ask to see you drivers licience to see if they match up with the hang tag.So far I have never been asked to prove who Iam using it.. But everyday nosey people harass me for parking in it..They have no clue or right to harass me. Also if my husband is going into a store and Iam not we will not park in that spot while I wait in the car.

One of my favorite tricks to play locally on abusers takes place at a 7-11 store near me. It has one handicapped spot, with a striped zone next to it on the left to give people room to get in and out. When I see someone parked there improperly--it happens all the time--I will pull my vehicle into the striped zone. This gives ME plenty of room to get in and out of MY vehicle but my right side is now within a foot of their drivers' door and it's impossible for them to get back into their car until I decide to move mine, unless they want to climb across from the other side. I actually had a woman come back in the store and start literally yelling at me to come out and move. I told her that if she had a problem with it, she should call the sheriff's department and they could come out and ask me to move right after they wrote her the ticket for being in my spot. (I keep my placard in my vehicle and hang it on my mirror just for stuff like this.)

I wrote a lady a ticket for this myself once when she was rude enough about it, but I was subsequently phoned by my supervisor at work and told that I could not write any more parking tickets while I was off on injured status. :lol:

here in NY they have a code Number on it, with the last 3 digets of your drivers licience.

I like that idea. In fact I like it better than putting the person's name and date of birth on the tag, for obvious privacy reasons.

Guest bearlover

I have been advised by my older brother who is also a police officer not tp get the licience plates for handicapp parking..He said some idiots may follow me around knowing Iam at a disatvantage..And a women when Iam driving alone...Good advice I thought.

Bear, I do have the plates... but there's a lot of common sense in what your brother says. I thought long and hard about it before deciding to order the plates... in the end, the convenience of not having to keep track of the placard, remember to remove it from the car if I'm riding with someone else, etc... was worth it to me.

I will say that I AM more careful about keeping track of who/what's around me now, because I know the plates give a clue that I might be at a disadvantage to unscrupulous people. But I've never had an actual problem. Of course, I'm also a big, tall, strong gal who doesn't look like an "easy mark"... that may work to my advantage!

BTW... I also like the idea of using a portion of your drivers license number as part of the placard i.d. number. Such a sensible way to verify easily, without providing too much "private" information! New York definitely got that one right.

Guest bearlover

Same with me Cheryl! I can't defend my self as quickly as I could if I had 2 real legs..But my leg was always a disavantage for me, since it comes from a birth defect..But I think I do pretty well and always have. My husband is a bit over protective of me though! <_<

I've mentioned this before on the forum, but this latest conversation reminded me again.

Californnia and Colorado - but mainly California, are the worst states that I have ever been in for people constantly challenging me for parking in the handicapped. I admit that I don't look ill or handicapped - at first sight - but if people want to play "vigilante", then first check out the plates or the placard, and as I've said before, if the person has the proper plates or placard, then they have already been judged. If someone has a problem with that - then call the police. They just might run up against the wrong person sometimes.

I was pulling into a resturant out on the pier in Santa Barbara, CA with my family one day. It was a beautiful summer day, and I had sores on my stump, so I chose to wear short pants, so that I could take my leg off to drive. When I pulled into the handicapped parking in front of the resturant, a self-important-looking man, who looked like he had come from one of the hotels on the strip near the pier that the big shots from Washington DC stayed at when Reagan was at his ranch, outside of Santa Barbara.

He immediately started hollering at us, that this was a handicapped spot. He wouldn't even let up when my wife held up our placard (which was bright red back then - about the size of a license plate), and waved it at him. Finally, I opened the door, and standing on my good leg, stuck my stump out and said (very politely - yeah, of course), "Do you think that this qualifies me?". His face turned beet red, and his wife grabbed him by his ear, and pulled him away saying, "I told you this was going to happen someday". We all had a good laugh at his expense over that one.

In California, I was challenged sometimes 3-5 times a day. And yet, in 15 years in Missouri, I have never been challenged once. California people are just more aggressive. I know - I was born and raised there. :D

Most of the Colorado people I have met are mostly arrogant. (Just the ones that I have met - I'm sure.)

Missouri is a lot like California used to be - back in the 1940' - '50's. People were a lot more polite back then.

Guest bearlover

:lol: Good one Jim..

Here is one that happned to me..I was walking into a store after parking in the handicap zone..A older man said to me you P pot..and yelled at me. he had a prosthetic and knocked on his leg and said to me World war 11. I knocked on ly leg and said Children's Hospital 1966! I still had my leg but wore a leg brace. :lol: :lol: he just said Oh iam sorry little lady.

Here is one that happned to me..I was walking into a store after parking in the handicap zone..A older man said to me you P pot..and yelled at me. he had a prosthetic and knocked on his leg and said to me World war 11. I knocked on ly leg and said Children's Hospital 1966! I still had my leg but wore a leg brace. :lol: :lol: he just said Oh iam sorry little lady.

Very good come back. I don't care what his excuse was - there is no excuse for rudeness.

There used to be an old saying:

BE SURE TO PUT BRAIN IN GEAR, BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN MOTION

Some of these "Vigilantes" need to learn that.

BY the way Hazel are you going to ACA confrence it would be nice to meet you.

Skully Cat

Sorry Skully, it's a bit far for me, plus, i just started a new business so i'm rather busy at the mo xx

Guest bearlover

They are having a protest here in Albany, NY tomorrow for Prosthetic insurance..It should be intresting. However, I will not be able to attend due to work.

Very good come back. I don't care what his excuse was - there is no excuse for rudeness.

Some of these "Vigilantes" need to learn that.

Hi Jim i quite agree with you when my ex takes me out with our three year old, i use my disabled badge and we park in disabled bays and the car becomes a magnet for these people because they think because i have a child i cannot be disabled as well, you should park there etc etc i usually just wave my badge at them, however one one occassion this older lady was ripping into my ex before should could as much as get out of the car so i took my leg off hopped over to her pulled my trousers up and showed her my scars and asked if i was disabled enough. I was so mad i didn't see the crowd that had gathered and then clapped me as the lady slopped off!

how we laughed

nelly :lol:

Hi

Please correct me if i am wrong, but i recently saw on a tv programme from the states the use of the word handicapped is the word still common place in the us as it is regarded as offence in the uk as i found out personally last christmas when i took my daughter and niece to father christmas special on a local staem train near where we live. We had booked in advance informing them i was in a wheelchair (not got used to the leg then) and they assured me that they had a ramp. On waiting in the queue to board the train my i pushed myself along the platform, where upon an elderly gent grabbed the handles of the chair and shouted at the top of his voice passed the 200 or so people in the queue "I've found him bob get the ramp i have the handcapped fellow with me now".

I was so dumbstruck i didn't know what to say!

Nelly B)

In California, I was challenged sometimes 3-5 times a day. And yet, in 15 years in Missouri, I have never been challenged once. California people are just more aggressive. I know - I was born and raised there. :D

Jim

Up here in Northern California people don't seem to be all that aggressive. Your experiences were in Southern California.

We did have some idiot that went around putting tickets on peoples cars and giving them out to business owners if he didn't like their handicapped facilities. He's now in jail.

I've never had a real problem with people, even had doors held for my by cute young ladies and children.

:blink::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I always thank them, even though I know I could have managed myself.

Guest bearlover

:( How embarsing for you! What a total idiot. Ignorance is all around us...Iam sorry you had this experience I can undrestand how you must have felt.

Guest bearlover
:( How embarsing for you! What a total idiot. Ignorance is all around us...Iam sorry you had this experience I can undrestand how you must have felt.

Iam replying tp Nellboys last post!

To quote myself from earlier

[ I don't care what his excuse was - there is no excuse for rudeness.

NellyBoy

Jerks, come in all sizes, ages and colors. As for the word handicapped - well, when I was in Germany 50 years ago, I learned enough of the language to get me by. One of the things that I remember is that they have 3 words for "YOU". If I remember right it was "TU" "TIA' AND "TISH". One was harsh - the other every day, and the third more romantic. (After all, it was 50 years ago, so if I butchered it I apologize.)

In English (american), it is all the same word 'YOU", but spoken with different inflections - Forcefully, Moderate, and Soft and whispery.

What I'm saying, it isn't the word that people speak, but how they say it. Respectfully, or with distain. We had a saying in the army that went "Call me anything - just don't call me too late for chow" or "You can tell me to go to hell - just make sure that it is "go to hell- SIR".

I'm not near as offended by the word, as I am the tone of voice.

It sounds like you handled that situation just right. :lol:

Jim

Up here in Northern California people don't seem to be all that aggressive. Your experiences were in Southern California.

We did have some idiot that went around putting tickets on peoples cars and giving them out to business owners if he didn't like their handicapped facilities. He's now in jail.

I've never had a real problem with people, even had doors held for my by cute young ladies and children.

:blink::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well now Gil - You know that there is California and then there is Shasta. :D :D :D

Just a native joke (to me anyway - some take it serious). Northern California has unofficially been called the state of Shasta for years. No offense meant Gil. I will have to agree with you however. What I have seen of the people up north, they are definitely more laid back - and curtious. I lived my early life in So. Cal going 90- miles an hour toward a brick wall. The only thing that gave me perspective is that I was brought up on an 85 acre ranch in the country - what used to be country until the real estate developers got ahold of it.

OH OH. I stepped in it again. :rolleyes::rolleyes: (Just playing Gil).

I guess I should not be amazed at all of the dumb stuff that has happened to those responding.

Nellyboy, ya I don't like the H word, people would call my bro that in his wheelchair before I to am in one for a while. He can out do actualy all the guys I know. Handicapp is a state of mind.

It will be interesting when I am back on Skully cause the side plates do have the disable plate for bike cause walking so far has not been an option. As far as people tagging it if they want to deal with the people I ride with well good luck. They look mean (they really aren't) but it is still funny if someone acts stupid and Mark or Jeffy walk up tattooed from ear to ear.

I should never be surpised of the stupidity that exists.

Oh and someone mentioned shoes all over.

Mark wants to leave his big boots all over so I started throughing them down the basement stairs and he has to find them.

Skully Cat

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well now Gil - You know that there is California and then there is Shasta. :D :D :D

Just a native joke (to me anyway - some take it serious). Northern California has unofficially been called the state of Shasta for years. No offense meant Gil. I will have to agree with you however. What I have seen of the people up north, they are definitely more laid back - and curtious. I lived my early life in So. Cal going 90- miles an hour toward a brick wall. The only thing that gave me perspective is that I was brought up on an 85 acre ranch in the country - what used to be country until the real estate developers got ahold of it.

OH OH. I stepped in it again. :rolleyes::rolleyes: (Just playing Gil).

Actually, they call it "Jefferson" and seriouslly want to secede from California.

Gee, I have no idea what you stepped in, just don't track it in the house!

Now that you're in a constant state of "Misery" thing should be better.

Jim

I don't take anything much seriously these days. I am having too much fun.

Actually, they call it "Jefferson" and seriouslly want to secede from California.

Jim

I don't take anything much seriously these days. I am having too much fun.

I have never heard of "Jefferson". The north (San Fancisco, Sacramento on up) was to be called "Shasta". But then I've been gone for 15 years.

As for the serious part - to borrow the vernacular of the younger ones today - "Boy, I hear that".