Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

smart adaptive 2

Thanks Mick,

boy i take my hat off to you in salute - the places you get too!!!!!!!

i fink one of the gud features on the adaptive is locking when weight is applied, though i don't think i like the idea of computers controling the unit for me - i like the slip-on-and-go simplicity of the mauch xg i have, but it does not lock when weight is applied and often you have to be sooooooooo careful on naff terrain, but you make up for it on semi-gud ground.

the adaptive seems a long unit, and i don't think you cud get a TTpylon fixed between your ankle and knee. oh dear i don't think i could go back to not having one, they are by far the best thing any amputee could add to their set-up.

maybe one day i cud come wiv you on a hike, that would be a gud test pitchin one type of knee against the other - now their is a thought why arnt knees tested against each other over various types of ground then awarded *'s against activity, now that would be giving an informed choice. somthing like for example;

Mauch XG knee

Road work *****

Grass *****

Ramps ****

At home *****

Stairs ****

Ladders ****

Hills ***

Uneven ground ***

Rocky terrain **

gaza.

hi Gaza,

thanks for the comments .

it would be great to meet up and get out and test out one unit against another, i think that is the only real way to compair set ups,

one last thing that you need to be aware of is the adaptive does not lock when weight is applied, you can set it up so there is some resistance & there is a stumble control system that will kick in if you need it, but it will not lock the leg just stiffen the knee a bit, how much is up to you, personnally i dont have that on (yet).

there is no reason why you cant have a tt pylon on your set up providing your stump isnt too long (like mine), however i have the elite foot that absorbs a hell of a lot so it is not to bad .

take care.......... mick

Hi Mick, thanks for the posts and replys! Do you or Endolite know the weight difference between a C-Leg and the Adaptive 2? I am a extremely high amputee and the lighter the leg the better. The Reho knee is very heavy so that will not work well for me. I have been a AK now for 3 years like yourself.

see ya, Mike

Gaza... there may be room for a TT if you use an Esprit foot instead of the Elite foot that mick wears (see the endolite link mick posted).

As mick says, the knee doesn't lock when weight is applied, as far as the stance support is concerned it is hydraulic and adjusts dependant upon program, but is designed to increase and decrease as required by the terrain, i.e. flat, slope, stairs....

mdrums... The Adaptive requires some strength in the stump so having a very short stump wouldn't be ideal. It's designed to make the most out of what is left and encourage muscle development in the stump, so very high amputations aren't suited to it.

As far as the weight is concerned, it's difficult to compare what manufacturers quote as they vary as to what they include (shin tube, alignment parts, adaptors etc. but suffice to say, though not every time, it's often the case that the more functionality you get, the heavier the limb.

If I have to invest 10000.00 into a leg I want to know everything about it. That is not panuts lol. After all otto bock ony warentees there legs for 2 years lol after that you are on your own. Make no mistake otto bock will charge tripple the cost for doing repairs ro tell u that your knee is beyone repair ans try to sell you another one. So yes I do ask a lot of questions. hehehehe :P

...and quite right too...!

I would like to thank you very much for answering all these questions and taking the time to do so. It was very informative reading this. Its the only way to learn asking questions from others like yourself.

when I asked about the tempature you walk in I was mostly refering to the cold like her ein canada. It goes down to -30 and more at times, so dealing with the cold and knees is not a good thing. Again tks for all you help and continue yhou advancements. Its great to read all you posts. :)

Stinker... though I couldn't say that the Adaptive2 is rated at any particular minimum temperature, many of these units are used in Sweden and Finland without any specific problems, certainly none related to temperature that anyone knows of.

If I have to invest 10000.00 into a leg I want to know everything about it. That is not panuts lol. After all otto bock ony warentees there legs for 2 years lol after that you are on your own. Make no mistake otto bock will charge tripple the cost for doing repairs ro tell u that your knee is beyone repair ans try to sell you another one. So yes I do ask a lot of questions. hehehehe :P

I would like to thank you very much for answering all these questions and taking the time to do so. It was very informative reading this. Its the only way to learn asking questions from others like yourself.

when I asked about the tempature you walk in I was mostly refering to the cold like her ein canada. It goes down to -30 and more at times, so dealing with the cold and knees is not a good thing. Again tks for all you help and continue yhou advancements. Its great to read all you posts. :)

Stinker,

-30 that’s cold, we don’t come close to that in the UK even if you throw in a wind chill factor.

I n fact if it ever gets that cold I think that I would stay in bed nice and warm and possibility hibernate like the bears do. :lol:

On a serious note when I’m out hiking in the winter I have found that my stump gets very cold no matter how hard I’m working, to combat this I have started pulling two or three woollen leggings over the top of my socket, it helps a bit but I would hate to have to operate in –30 I don’t envy you.

Mdrums, oneblueleg has answered your question far better than what I can, :) (its nice to have someone on this forum that knows the fact from the fiction.) cheers & take care all. Mick

Stinker,

-30 that’s cold, we don’t come close to that in the UK even if you throw in a wind chill factor.

I n fact if it ever gets that cold I think that I would stay in bed nice and warm and possibility hibernate like the bears do. :lol:

On a serious note when I’m out hiking in the winter I have found that my stump gets very cold no matter how hard I’m working, to combat this I have started pulling two or three woollen leggings over the top of my socket, it helps a bit but I would hate to have to operate in –30 I don’t envy you.

Mdrums, oneblueleg has answered your question far better than what I can, :) (its nice to have someone on this forum that knows the fact from the fiction.) cheers & take care all. Mick

I do hope you under stand my position here as the temperature is very different from yours where you are testing for them. Her eits murderous for the temp side of things. The price is way out of wach..They msut think we canadians are rather daft, lol but we survive, lol, wilderness or not. hehehe. The main problem is why are they charging such a high price for a limb, that is made for the middle east and uk kind of wether??, My hydrollics gave out real quick and I think we deserve a better price to use there product or support it. heheheh.Great to see someone is out there as a watchdog.

Thanks oneblueleg, I will stick with my C-Leg but am always very interested in what is new and what other people are useing. Correct my stump/femur is only around 8" long (I am 6'5" tall) so it is very short and basically no muscel left in it.

take care everyone! Mike