Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Marilyn

Message for Bill (wrjwrj) and other friends

Whoo Hoo!

Now that I'm coming back to life and have something good to share, thought I would!

Last July I was investigating buying a Sun EZ 3 recumbent trike... That was interrupted by the awful loss of my son, of course.

But this spring, I got a hefty income tax refund and finally got my trike!

I'm a bit reluctant to ride it on these country roads, so I've ordered a car rack and hitch so I can take the trike to our local (very long!) bike riding trail!

Life is finally better! :D

Hello, Marilyn!!!!!!

It's so good to see you back here... and with good news, too!

The trike sounds totally cool... let me know how it goes; okay?

Seems like a lifetime since I've anything good to say, but things are getting better.

Here's a photo of the trike I bought:

post-1565-1177699238_thumb.jpg

Marilyn I am so glad to hear you are starting to come back to us. :) The cards you were dealt would be a blow to everyone of us. This photo looks terriffic....have you tried to ride it yet? I am anxious to know how you like it.

B) ann

Looks like a great ride, Marilyn. Getting out in the fresh air will do wonders. Let us know how it goes.

post-1565-1177708150_thumb.jpgI finally found the pix of me on my bike. Here I am at the bike shop testing it out!

Looking good. B)

Once you get out on the roads you won't believe the number of kids that will tell you what a cool bike you have, and where did you get it, and how much did it cost and can they try it out and do you want to race.

It will take a little doing to get your foot to stay in place, unless you have a strap or clips, but it will get there. The hills are the biggest problem till you get a whole different set of muscles built up.

Watch out for the dreded 'recumbutt' :D

--Bill

hehehe not sure what the 'recumbut' is :rolleyes: , but the trike looks like great fun, enjoy it honey, you've had enough crap to deal with lately, it's time you had some fun xxx :)

post-1565-1177708150_thumb.jpgI finally found the pix of me on my bike. Here I am at the bike shop testing it out!

Excellent picture!

If I didn't live on a lumpy gravel road, I would think about one of those. They aren't that expensive.

Does it have gears or is it a single-speed?

I'm jealous! ;) ;)

Gil, this bad girl (the trike) has 21 speeds!

Almost ever since I got it, it's been cold and rainy. We are looking at a good weather weekend, and my hubby and I will hit the road!

Gil, this bad girl (the trike) has 21 speeds!

Almost ever since I got it, it's been cold and rainy. We are looking at a good weather weekend, and my hubby and I will hit the road!

OMG! That is really something. I hope it clears soon. Otherwise, pick up a rainsuit and splash away.

I used to ride a motorcycle and rainsuits really work. Be sure you get a bright yellow one. Yeah, in my case it made me look like a 200 lb canary, but you're VISIBLE.

They make this little loop-like thingy that goes on your pedal and keeps your arty foot in place. I think this is a "clip", but bike shops should have them. My nephew was a bike-aholic and had them on both pedals so he didn't have to wonder where his feets were. Especially when he was hitting on some cute young chick. Or showing off, same thing. :P :P :P

Gil, my brother is a bike-a-holic, so he's hooked me up with toe clips, a little rear view mirror that hooks to my helmet, and I bought a big, tall safety flag for on road usage.

My brother is biking some 60 miles today, spending the nite in a hotel, and biking the 60 miles back tomorrow. I have a looooong ways to go before I'll be invited on a ride like that!

Today's weather is looking excellent here in Cincinnati, Ohio, so I'll be biking -- probably just a few miles, but it's a beginning!

Looking good. B)

Once you get out on the roads you won't believe the number of kids that will tell you what a cool bike you have, and where did you get it, and how much did it cost and can they try it out and do you want to race.

It will take a little doing to get your foot to stay in place, unless you have a strap or clips, but it will get there. The hills are the biggest problem till you get a whole different set of muscles built up.

Watch out for the dreded 'recumbutt' :D

--Bill

Bill, when I was picking my trike up at the shop, a little (6 year old?) boy looked at my trike, and looked at me and said, "That's a funny looking bike!" :blink:

Please tell me this will help reduce my recumbutt -- NOT make it bigger! :blink:

Marilyn I am so glad to hear you are starting to come back to us. :) The cards you were dealt would be a blow to everyone of us. This photo looks terriffic....have you tried to ride it yet? I am anxious to know how you like it.

B) ann

Ann, I'd forgotten how much I've missed my friends!

I've only ridden it once (between cold and rain spells), but I'm going out today for a ride.

It will take some getting used to as I'm out of shape and the bike is heavy at 56# (not to mention my OWN weight which I have to drag along!). But since I'm still not walking well (long story and I'm getting a new prosthetist May 11!!) the bike thing is a way to get in some much needed exercise!

Marilyn

I'm sure the exercise you get with that bad girl (trike) will certainly "firm up" your "recumbutt", if not reduce it. You have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat, although it occupies a smaller area.

If you feel you're gaining weight, check your pants size and/or feel the developing muscle. Riding that puppy will help strengthen your legs for walking. And with 21 speeds you're going to fly!

I'm still jealous! :ph34r::ph34r:

Hello again, all!

Even though my right rear tire has a tendency to want to go flat, I had hubby pump it up and we went for a 2 mile spin. I was afraid to trust the tire for longer.

It felt so good to be moving and feel the sun on my arms!

Bike nut brother called this evening. He is exhuasted from his two-day bike ride, but he assured me that whatever is going on with my trike can be worked out. he said it could even be a spoke cutting through to the innertube. We'll get 'er fixed!

Thanks for all the well wishes!

I'm jealous too, Marilyn. Looks like a lot of fun to me. Good luck. :)

Good news on the bike (trike).

My brother told me that there could be a burr (from a spoke) inside the rim, poking into the inner tube.

Hubby took it apart, found the burr (just as brother described) and filed it down. Patched the inner tube and I'm back in business!

I've ordered a car rack, specifically made for this trike, and that should arrive in a week -- then the fun can REALLY start! I'll be able to get the trike to the bike trail and not have to worry about traffic. I had a little scare on the road out here on my last ride.

Many thanks, Joe! My daughter and I were talking yesterday about how it feels good to know that you (after all) still wish to live!