Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

Rough terrain hike

I went out yesterday for a decent rough-terrain hike by scenic Harpers Ferry, WV. It consisted of about a 3/4 mile flat walk, a mile up and down some steep, rocky inclines to a scenic overlook, and then back the same way to my van. It used to be a rough climb with two feet, but I found that all my gym conditioning made it quite easy, cardio-wise. But I did run up against the mechanical limitations of my leg as the prosthetic is quite uncomfortable on steep downhill inclines and by the end of it my leg was a fair bit sore from that.

Still, I finished, and that's what mattered.

it was also my first time out in shorts, deliberately no covering my leg and letting the world see it. No one said a thing to me out of the several dozen people that I encountered but it did seem as if some of them were a bit more reserved and reluctant to carry on a conversation in the manner that people on the trails usually are.

Here is a picture of me with dog and leg atop the overlook, having started in the town below in the background.

And here's my longer blog story about the hike with more pics:

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2007/04...-lagniappe.html

It was a good day. :D

Hey, followed your link and loved your recap of your day (read it folks, this guy is entertaining!).

I'm certainly not ready for that kind of hike just yet! When (please!) I get a better fitting prosthesis that doesn't bite the end of my tibia, I look forward to some gentler hiking. Ohio's Hocking Hills is perfect...

Is it time to schedule your "Strength and Agility" test. Or do they have that in your department?

That was quite a climb and although the downhill seemed rough it's posible that a little "tweaking" of your socket may help that.

Thanks for sharing that experience.

Is it time to schedule your "Strength and Agility" test. Or do they have that in your department?

That was quite a climb and although the downhill seemed rough it's posible that a little "tweaking" of your socket may help that.

Thanks for sharing that experience.

HI Gil,

My job is trying very hard to find reasons not to give me that test yet, as my passing it will prevent them from keeping me from returning to the street. On the other hand, since I recently re-injured my leg by running too hard and too long, I'm not ready for the 2-mile run yet, so I'll let them play their silly game at least until I am.

Meanwhile, they've just agreed to a six-month posting to a job that I'd have willingly killed for but had no chance of getting until now. That spot doesn't involve running but it gives me six more months to get ready for that test.

[Meanwhile, they've just agreed to a six-month posting to a job that I'd have willingly killed for but had no chance of getting until now. That spot doesn't involve running but it gives me six more months to get ready for that test.

Hey, alright!

I'm sure if anyone can do it, you will! I have a friend who recently retired from the local department. About 15 years ago he lost his right lower leg in a motorcycle accident. He was able to do the whole "Strength and Agility" test after a year of recovery and training. Although he was rated as a Field Officer, they assigned him to the jail. Never missed a day!

When we went fishing (his boat) I had to get into the water if there was a problem, cause he couldn't get his leg wet. Jeez, the water's cold right out of the mountains. :o :o :o