Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Gingertop

More trouble in the trouser department !

No not that kind of trouble! :)

I am an AKA and am finding that any trousers other than heavy denim wear out very quickly at the backside. This is where the edge of the socket rests on whatever I sit on.

The possible solutions I've come up with are:

adding some home made pad (of what?) to the lip of the socket (would it stay on? would it look a mess?)

sewing a strip of some kind of thick material so that it dangles down over the 'target area'.

Is maybe the edge of the socket a little sharp and my prosthetist could round it off.

Before I try any of these time consuming efforts I thought I would ask for your help. By the way sewing is not one of my talents.

Thanks

Hello!

Here in the states, they sell iron on patches. Not sure if you guys have such a thing.

Anyhow, if you could find these things (usually used to iron on under toddler's knees in jeans) you could iron them underneath the fabric to strenghten those sensitive parts of your pants...

Gingertop

What you need is "Mending Tape". You can find it on the search engine "Dogpile" or : http://www.dogpile.co.uk/

In the US it's called "Bondex" and can be found at: http://www.jkmribbon.com/wrights/bondex.html

One source is: http://www.sewessential.co.uk/Category.asp...ge=5&page=2

They have mending tape in a range of colors at what seems to be a reasonable price (GBP 1.75).

I hope this helps, at least for a while. If your socket has a raw edge, there are adhesive U-shaped strips that might also help.

I'm a BK, so this is the best I can do.

Then, if you get bored try printing on cloth: http://www.art-e-zine.co.uk/imagefabric.html

I'm BK but have had a similar problem with suit trousers, which wear out (quite quickly) where my liner grabs at the material when I walk. What I;ve done with my new suit trousers is to get a tailor to line the whole leg - some suits have lining on the inside front to the knee. With the lining al the way the problem doesn't occur.

Hope that's some help.

David

I am an AKA and am finding that any trousers other than heavy denim wear out very quickly at the backside. This is where the edge of the socket rests on whatever I sit on.

It's it a pain?! <_<

Even my toilet seat has wear marks on it, but that's another story...

In my experience, home fabricated items don't seem to 'cut the cloth' (they don't work).

Either your prosthetist can fabricate some sort of cushioning pad (mine used to be covered in leather) that fills in just below and covers the back lip of the socket. Or you could persuade them to make you a MAS (you can search this forum for details) socket as it doesn't use the ischial tuberosity for weighbearing, so you don't have that problem. However, as it's difficult in the UK to find a prosthetist that can make a MAS socket you may have to stick with a cushioned pad. :blink:

Lizzie :)

Guest bearlover
I'm BK but have had a similar problem with suit trousers, which wear out (quite quickly) where my liner grabs at the material when I walk. What I;ve done with my new suit trousers is to get a tailor to line the whole leg - some suits have lining on the inside front to the knee. With the lining al the way the problem doesn't occur.

Hope that's some help.

David

Iam a LBK too same problem..Thanks for the tip! :)

Thanks for all your thoughts. How great to have people from all round the world offering help. Isn't the internet and this site wonderful. I guess soon we will all take it for granted.

I'll try iron on patches and talk to my prosthetist about MAS sockets and pads and the like when I see him next. The technicalities of MAS rather than ICS is baffling me at present so I'm not sure what I have and what would suit me. I guess being UK National Health and having had a few complications I have an ICS.

Lizzie I too have problems with the toilet seat which is a whole different post - more intimate even than my trouser department. I take my leg off to perform!

Like Liz said, the MAS is fantastic. I haven't had a "torn bum" in the time that I've worn my MAS. And of course, its fabulous to sit on your own rear end, not a hard socket B)

But the iron on pad thingeys sound great. I tend to wear a hole in my knee from sitting with my legs crossed. The Total knee isn't very forgiving when I do that....